• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will buying the phone with 2 year contract be cheaper after Christmas vs before Christmas?

secund2nun

Lurker
Dec 14, 2011
The Galaxy s2 is 150 dollars most places right now with the contract. If I wait until December 26th-December 31st do you think it would be cheaper than now? Could there be any after Christmas sales or just a general drop in price of the phone (I have to buy it before January though)?

The Galaxy s2 is 150 dollars most places right now with the contract. If I wait until December 26th-December 31st do you think it would be cheaper than now? Could there be any after Christmas sales or just a general drop in price of the phone (I have to buy it before January though)?

:)
jUST GOT MINE FOR $99 ON AMAZON WIRELESS...WAS LOVING IT UNTIL I HAD TO CHARGE X 2 TODAY WITH ONLY MODERATE USAGE.....& HARDLY ANY TALK TIME !!! MAYNE RETURNING IF IT DOESN'T IMPROVE.

Upvote 0
I work for Sprint and I have worked for other cellular retailers. The continuing trend is for the Carriers (Sprint ect) not to drop prices after Christmas. The reason for that is because unlike toys and other gizmos, phone purchases are increased AFTER Christmas when people with gift cards and cash are more likely to buy the devices INCLUDING outright sales of the devices.

It has been also pretty apparent that devices are more likely to see a minimal price drop and then termination of the device line UNLESS the device is a flagship device such as the Evo 4G (which is finally ending its run), which is still a decently priced item.

As for purchasing the devices at third party retailers or online, you should know that the Carriers have and will refuse to deal with any warranty issues from devices purchased at other locations. Notably this includes Best Buy and Radio Shack. Carriers WILL refer you to to go back to the place you purchased which in some cases, won't be possible or easy with online purchases from third parties. I had an individual with a defective phone he purchased at Radio Shack and refered them back to the place he purchased it, who in turned told him "You didn't buy the Radio Shack insurance? Sorry man"

Upvote 0
I just got it with free 2-day shipping at amazonwireless.com for $79. Upgrade eligible account :)

Ditto...We've been looking for a replacement for my wife's less than satisfying E4g for months. Liked everything about this phone except the data connection issues, which seem to have been addressed. Almost went for the Photon, but wife wasn't thrilled with the pentile display and we missed any cheap sales that might have pushed us over the edge. $80 on upgrade was too good a deal to pass up.

Upvote 0
I work for Sprint and...

As for purchasing the devices at third party retailers or online, you should know that the Carriers have and will refuse to deal with any warranty issues from devices purchased at other locations. Notably this includes Best Buy and Radio Shack. Carriers WILL refer you to to go back to the place you purchased which in some cases, won't be possible or easy with online purchases from third parties. I had an individual with a defective phone he purchased at Radio Shack and refered them back to the place he purchased it, who in turned told him "You didn't buy the Radio Shack insurance? Sorry man"

I've most always purchased from 2nd party sellers and with any warranty related issues, Sprint always replaces my phone. Where I purchased the phone has NEVER been an issue, never even been asked.

Seriously??? I could almost buy THREE phones at the Amazon price for what Sprint wants to charge for ONE....no thanks! And to make matters worse, after a recent rash of defaulted Iphone purchase accounts, Sprint has discontinued the ability to simply bill equipment to your account!!

Not a Sprint basher, I have for almost 12 years maintained that, with Sprint you get more bang for the buck and customer service is never good with any carrier, but, Sprint needs to start price matching...plain and simple.

Upvote 0
Sprint needs to start price matching...plain and simple.

I doubt they care. there's very little profit in selling the subsidized devices, it's the service that makes them money. My guess is that Sprint (and the other providers) would happily cede all their equipment sales to second parties, if they thought they could get away with it.

Upvote 0
I doubt they care. there's very little profit in selling the subsidized devices, it's the service that makes them money. My guess is that Sprint (and the other providers) would happily cede all their equipment sales to second parties, if they thought they could get away with it.

If Sprint is making little to no money on equipment, with their jacked up prices, then how are 2nd party sales agents not grossly in the red? I think the whole, "we don't make any money off equipment" routine is Urban Legend.

Justa theory ;)

Upvote 0
It comes down to profit lines. Sprint and its in-direct retailers have more of an over head than an online store with the computer doing all the work. @nchargreed, there is actually a formula for profit per sale (different for upgrade or new account) that deducts the value of the phone. at $80.00 (tiger direct), I could mark down a galaxy for a new activation at a 50% profit cut. On an upgrade I would be taking $45 loss at that price. Not sure how or why some online places offer the same price for both, but I do see Best Buy and Radio Shack offering different prices.

Most In-Direct retailers would work with you on pricing, where a corporate store is pretty strick about pricing.

And you have been lucky about 2nd party exchanges. Sprint leaves the exchanges up to the manager at Corporate location's discression. They can and have refused to take exchanges on 2nd party devices. If you bought Nike shoes from Foot Locker and tried to return them to a Nike store, they can refuse the return or exchange. Unlike Nike however, Sprint doesn't produce the phones. This is not refering to Sprint insurance claims, which is actually through a different company, and manufacturing defects.

As far as this Urban Legend you speak of... I'd gladly show you my stores profit per device except I like having a job. If you go to an in-direct retailer (non-corporate Sprint location but with Sprint branding) and try to haggle with them, some of the associates (whether they are supposed to or not) will show you / make reference to this.

Finally, this is the same reason why ALL RETAILERS are not pushing the damn iPhone. Not only is it over hyped because of the fruit on the back, but the cost of the device takes away from the sale. That shouldn't be anyone's reason for not selling it but still.

Upvote 0
I'm finding this phone for $149 (sprint) on amazon with 2 yr renewal. Sprint want's $200. Anyone finding it cheaper with renewal? Thanks!

Yeah, unfortunately, the Amazon price went up from $79 to $149 on Christmas Day :thinking:

I got the $79 deal and am very happy with my purchase. I'm thinking that the price will drop again in the new year.

K

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones