• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will DX2 root the same way DX1 does?

Hopefully it does.
I just ordered mine online for an amazing price of $149.99 with 2 year contract.
No one can tell me why I'm getting it for less than 199.99, and I don't wanna wait around and miss the deal.

I never bothered to root my original droid so I'm looking forward to it being relatively painless on the new X2

Upvote 0
My understanding is that with root but with a locked bootloader, you can get restricted apps and do a little customization, but you can't do really cool stuff like getting custom ROMs and kernels. What sort of things can you do with a rooted x2?

I'm in the happy position of needing to get a new vzw phone, and I really like the specs on the x2. However, this bootloader business might be a dealbreaker.

Upvote 0
Do you need an unlocked bootloader to remove bloatware.
The only reason I can think of for me to root it getting rid of the pre-installed crap apps and hopefully using the hotspot feature without paying an extra $20 a month(which is asinine to begin with)

Well be careful, Verizon has been cracking down on rooted users using the free tether apps...I heard that someone's account got shut down and they were billed the ETF (early termination fee) and had to pay back their discounts...

Upvote 0
Do you need an unlocked bootloader to remove bloatware.
The only reason I can think of for me to root it getting rid of the pre-installed crap apps and hopefully using the hotspot feature without paying an extra $20 a month(which is asinine to begin with)

You don't need an unlocked bootloader to remove bloatware. Rooting is all you need. I rooted last night using the GingerBreak method and installed Titanium Backup, which allows you to "freeze" (effectively remove) any offending apps.

Eric

Upvote 0
Hopefully it does.
I just ordered mine online for an amazing price of $149.99 with 2 year contract.
No one can tell me why I'm getting it for less than 199.99, and I don't wanna wait around and miss the deal.
That's great, I got mine for 160 as an upgrade through VZW online. Did you order yours through Verizon or somewhere else?

Upvote 0
You don't need an unlocked bootloader to remove bloatware. Rooting is all you need. I rooted last night using the GingerBreak method and installed Titanium Backup, which allows you to "freeze" (effectively remove) any offending apps.

Eric

Seems the games and Blockbuster can be uninstalled to get some of the flash storage back. Seems there is at least 1gb of bloat, based on the 4.3gb free. The device storage is part of the original 7.5 usable GBs, but the 4.3gb does not bridge all of the 7.5gb. Must be bloat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones