1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will Galaxy S7 require Google verification after software/ firmware update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Brigmo77, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Brigmo77

Brigmo77 Lurker

I hope someone can help here... My friend gave me his Galaxy J7 because it was pretty much free with his provider and he didn't like it.

It's been put up for a month or so and my older one is done for. It needs an update and possibly factory reset. He forgot his Google account PW he created on it and is longer with his provider. A couple questions;

-If I do the software update it says I'll be required to sign back in, (assuming it means google) can I just make a new Google account with this phone and use it?

-Can I use a new google account to factory reset it in case it asks for a Google account on that as well?
    I know a couple others given to me from friends have done that to me by surprise . Everytime that happens and I get on chat with an actual representative, I get quizzed if I'm a phone dealer. >.>

I hope someone can help, this is my last good phone...
    If I can provide extra info to help or repay the insight on your post lol. I'm pretty good with most phones. Just not this one.

- Thanks

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

A Galaxy S7 update on it's own shouldn't trip Google verification(Factory Reset Protection, FRP), however factory resetting it will, and it will need the original Google account details with password. No other bypass or backdoor AFAIK, as this is an anti-theft security feature. Samsung Service can reset FRP for a fee, but you need to prove rightful ownership of course.

I acquired an S7 during the summer, but the original owner did clear his Google account from it before giving it to me. And it has had updates since with my Google account.

Dannydet and Jfalls63 like this.
  3. n0tall0wed

n0tall0wed Android Enthusiast

If you haven't already reset the phone you can go into accounts and remove his account before updating it. Then you can just start with your account.