• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Google provide the updates for the N1?

I haven't seen this topic on the Nexus One Forum, but if it's been discussed, please provide me a link and accept my apologies. I'm still a newbie on this forum.

As a happy G1 owner, I've been disappointed with the rate at which T-Mobile updates the system software; I've checked with Google and they are adamant that they will not provide standard (non-rooted) updates to phones sold and supported by carriers.

So a big potential advantage of Google selling the N1 directly is that it will presumably accept responsibility for updating the system and major application software. In the rumors and gossip, I haven't seen/heard this discussed. If I buy the phone through Google and use it on T-Mobile, who is going to update my phone when 2.2 comes out?

Mike

what r u talking about...I never said any of those things. I came here and posted that I had the phone, used my pervious posts of the Mytouch to point out i wasnt a loser or BS'er.

As far as im concerned you and the other guy are attention whores.

You go on a message board to proclaim you have an intensely rare time then give the old "oh I cant answer anything".

The MyTouch thread you pointed to was the same thing.

IF YOU CANT ANSWER QUESTIONS DONT START A THREAD SAYING YOU HAVE IT.

Upvote 0
Hey, I dont know what your problem is or what grade of elementary school you didnt finish, but the post about the Mytouch included my photos of the phone weeks before it was released. Get a life and get your facts correct.

Right. Starting threads claiming you have something then saying you cant talk about it is the definition of grade school.

At the least the other guy is making an effort.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
But since the phone will also be sold at the TMO store..according to the girl I deal with there, who looked over my phone, doesnt that also mean they will troubleshoot and do device exchanges?

Not according to that leak (that your friend might not have known about yet). That's pretty clear that TMO won't be selling phones, and won't be doing exchanges. I wouldn't be surprised (just my guess) if TMO and ATT had a way to register your phone on their network without even coming in to their offices. Reminds me of the good old days with my unlocked Treo 680.

Upvote 0
So now we know the prices, and that Google will sell both the unlocked and TMO-contracted phones. So my initial question is still up there. I'm sure Google will provide updates for the unlocked phone, but will they handle the TMO version as well? Or will TMO buyers be stuck with TMO's support? I hope that comes out at the time of the full announcement.

Upvote 0
So now we know the prices, and that Google will sell both the unlocked and TMO-contracted phones. So my initial question is still up there. I'm sure Google will provide updates for the unlocked phone, but will they handle the TMO version as well? Or will TMO buyers be stuck with TMO's support? I hope that comes out at the time of the full announcement.
Thinking about this....i think that since it's the same phone except that you get a good deal on it if you sign a 2yr contract....the updates will probably come directly from Google. The transcribed text here, and info given by people who already have the N1 suggests that Google will have more of a hands-on approach with this phone than any previously. I think they're beginning to see that the carriers/manufacturers being responsible for updates is giving Android a bad name. The BIG question is....which carriers are gonna allow Google to do this? I think we can assume that TMO is onboard (if this is the case), but what about VZW and Sprint?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones