1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will Handcent cause my carrier to charge me extra for texts?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by GladyouCame, Apr 17, 2012.

1. GladyouCame

GladyouCame Lurker

Hey guys,

I got my Galaxy Nexus about a month ago, and rather than using the stock messaging app I downloaded the Handcent app from the Play Store but today I found on the news that this guy got charged $1400 because even though he had unlimited texting he used an app called "Heywire" that redirected the texts long-distance and I had unlimited texting too.

I read the disclaimer on my provider's (Bell) brochure and it said my unlimited texting does not count when sent using a messaging app or long-distance (in the US, etc.).

What I fear is my unlimited texting counts only with the stock messaging app and I have sent over 1000 messages this month already using Handcent.

Does Handcent count as one of these apps? I'm getting a bit concerned?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Handcent and Heywire is different. Heywire routes your text messages somewhere else so you can supposedly text for free. Handcent is just a sort of skin change for the default SMS app. I'm on an unlimited text plan and have used Handcent before.

4. styxfire

styxfire Newbie

So do you still have to sign up for a monthly messaging plan through your carrier if you use Handcent for texts?

Can you use Pansi instead, and forego the carrier's monthly plan?

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

As chanchan05 said, Handcent is just a different front end for the messaging. It's no different from using the standard messaging app as far as the network is concerned - it uses exactly the same messaging services, and you will see the same messages in both apps.

styxfire likes this.
  6. styxfire

styxfire Newbie

Thanks! I ended up installing WhatsApp. That will allow me texting and media-attaching without racking up any carrier charges, and I won't have to get another new phone number or make my friends use 1 number for calls vs a 2nd number for texts.

WhatsApp seems to function just like my phone's default messaging, plus it comes with cute little icons to add into your msgs if you care about that. (I don't care about customizing at all... I just wanted something cheaper than $20/mo unlimited texting.)

The downside is that both the sender and the receiver have to install it on their phones.

It's a free 1-yr trial. For android-users, after the first year it's $1/yr.
    (Compare that to $240/yr for a carrier's text plan.)