• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will I like the HTC Avia?

Here in ND, when Verizon and Alltel merged, the FTC did not allow the merger since they are the only 2 carriers and it would have become monopolistic. After some time, now Alltel is merging with AT&T here next Feb. We are all required to get new phones, and as long as you don't upgrade it will be at no cost. Any upgrade will require a new 2 year contract, which I don't want to do pending how I like AT&T.

My two free choices are the Avia or a Blackberry curve (I have a Blackberry now). At 57, I am not a droid techy guy, but I am willing to learn. Will I enjoy the Avia?

I did post this on Cnet, too and was directed here for more complete info. The Samsung Captivate was intriguing too, but I don't want to get locked in for 2 years.

Android devices are leaps ahead of the Blackberries, even the most recent RIM incarnations, with the exception of email push, in my opinion, SportsDoc.

The two year commitment does lock you in to the carrier via contract, obviously, but unless you plan to move away or have some other extenuating reason to avoid a 24 month contract, it's not a bad deal at all.

As I research the many Android devices, and soak up what's posted in these vast forums about the various versions (1.6, 2.1, Froyo) of the OS, I see that each one has its fans and detractors, just the same as in my Blackberry days: I'd see flaming this or that model, followed by users of the same thing harping its greatness. ;)

The Captivate forums here at AF will bear that out, as will any other.

My policy is to get my hands on some of the candidate phones I'm considering, in the stores and from friends and co-workers, and play with them for as long as possible, pretending like it's mine: does this make me happy in the long run? ..etc.

Reactions: SportsDoc63
Upvote 0
SportsDoc63,

By service I am guessing you mean signal reception. I can't speak for what AT&T's signal is like in ND, but each brand and model of phone seems to have different sensitivity. The Aria has better reception than my BB and Moto, all three are on AT&T.

With regards to Aria vs. Captivate - as prior poster stated, its personal choice. I chose and kept the Aria because of the small, easily pocketed size. The Captivate will give you a superior screen for viewing photos, but the trade off is the size.

I have the stock AT&T TPU case and have dropped it a few times onto carpeted floors and once on an airplane - no apparent damage or screen cracks so far (no direct hits to the glass).

For me, it has been great for email, texting, and casual photo display. I use it periodically for web, but for serious browsing, I use my laptop or tablet.

Good luck.

I will add that my main uses are email, pictures, browsing and texting. My biggest concern is good service as I travel around the rural Upper Midwest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones