• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will I need to Unroot before official 2.2 update?

I've been searching and scouring the forums for a concrete answer to this, but I keep finding conflicting information. I did a considerable amount of research about the phone and the rooting process seemed straightforward enough, but with the official 2.2 OTA update looming, I don't want to cause any undue harm to my nine day-old phone.

I rooted my DINC last weekend using Unrevoked, did a nandroid and Titanium backup, and removed bloatware. That's all I did. I didn't install any custom ROMs, kernels, etc., because I was under the impression that rooting the phone using Unrevoked would only flash a custom recovery image (ClockworkMod); the system partition would remain untouched apart from any changes I make after the phone is rooted. Because I did not install a leaked or custom version of FroYo and *only* rooted, I thought I would at least receive notification that the 2.2 update is available for my DINC.

From what I have gathered, some are saying that I will receive notification of the update, and others are indicating that because I rooted (and only rooted), I will not receive notification. So, which is it?

I do understand that if I receive a notification and decide to install the 2.2 update, I will loose root access on the phone because the custom recovery image will be replaced with the stock recovery image. Apart from that, what possible ill effect would the 2.2 update have on my DINC since I only rooted and uninstalled bloatware? Ultimately, my intention is to wait for 2.2 to be rooted, then install the official 2.2 update, root it, and remove bloatware. I just want to be sure that (1) I can receive the official update on my DINC, and that (2) regardless of the means by which I receive the official 2.2 update, that installing it on a rooted DINC currently running 2.1 will not cause my DINC any damage - or heaven forbid, turn it into a brick.

Thanks in advance for any help. Plus, since I'm new to the Android world, please set me straight if I've completely misunderstood how this rooting thing works. After researching and reading all these how-to posts, I can tell that I still have quite a bit to learn...

Upvote 0
put down your phone and slowly walk away.

why do you just go around and post this type of comment into any thread where someone is trying to learn about rooting their phone.....

are we supposed to be instant experts on this? he has a legitimate question, unless you know the answer, don't bother.

Upvote 0
Ok. Thanks for the info. I'll do that this weekend. I was wondering, however, why I have to be running the stock recovery in order to receive the update. I don't doubt what you're saying, but I'd like to understand why...

I second this. I've been asking the same question in other threads. The explanation given implies the update process checks the recovery tool on your device and if it is not stock, the device does not get the update notification. Perhaps I'm naive but I wouldn't think the update mechanism checked that. Is that truly how it works?

Really, these are not ignorant or lazy questions, just inquisitive folks who want to understand why. Isn't that the purpose of the forum, to share knowledge? The attitude with "end of story" type comments seems unnecessary, like anyone asking a question must walk on eggshells.

Upvote 0
I second this. I've been asking the same question in other threads. The explanation given implies the update process checks the recovery tool on your device and if it is not stock, the device does not get the update notification. Perhaps I'm naive but I wouldn't think the update mechanism checked that. Is that truly how it works?

Really, these are not ignorant or lazy questions, just inquisitive folks who want to understand why. Isn't that the purpose of the forum, to share knowledge? The attitude with "end of story" type comments seems unnecessary, like anyone asking a question must walk on eggshells.

honestly I don't know, what is known you need stock recovery, to do this, find out how to un-root, there is a sticky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones