• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Will internet tethering not work when phone is encrypted?

Vikram S

Lurker
Sep 20, 2019
I have redmi A3 with stock android ver 9. When i enable internet tethering on my phone and connect my PC to this internet connection, my PC shows that it is connected and network is available however i am unable to access any site. However when i remove the SIM card and insert it in another phone which is not encrypted, my PC is able to access sites when i enable internet tethering on this new phone. So i am wondering if tethering would not wo0rk on encrypted phone? (i need to encrypt phone in order to run few work related apps)

Whether the internal storage media is encrypted or not isn't relative to something like cellular-based tethering functionality -- the internal storage media is for retaining files and data on a semi-permanent basis; tethering is a function where an incoming cellular signal gets converted on-the-fly into an outgoing networking signal that passes through the USB bus. It's not a matter of that signal getting stored in any way in internal storage.
So the odds are encryption isn't a factor but something else that is relative to the tethering process. Proof of this is taking into consideration storage media encryption has been the default since Marshmallow so if it your presumption was actually true that would mean no phones since 2015 or so could not do tethering (and actually media encryption was introduced much earlier but wasn't the default for Android until Marshmallow).

What model is your old phone? Who is your carrier? There's also a matter where if your old phone has a microUSB port, your A3 has a USB Type-C port so check the cable you're using with your A3 isn't the source of the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones