1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will Lollipop bring us wifi calling?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by steveu694, Nov 3, 2014.

1. steveu694

steveu694 Android Enthusiast

Pardon my ignorance and I'm doubtful, but is there a chance? I have almost zero reception in my apartment to send pictures, videos and even make calls. I've been with every carrier and I must be in a dead spot.

May switch to the N6 if otherwise....

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Wifi calling is a carrier thing.

3. steveu694

steveu694 Android Enthusiast

No its not.

4. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

T-mobile had announced that it would bring WiFi calling to the Nexus 6 sometime next year - but other than that, there is no other news (yet) about WiFi calling from other carriers or other devices.

You can however use the new hangouts/dialer app to make/receive WiFi calls (though it will use your Google Voice number instead of your carrier number)

Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. edm

edm Lurker

Verizon and AT&T both announced recently that they will introduce WiFi calling in early 2015. They will also both allow cross carrier VOLTE. As far as WiFi calling is concerned, I'm not sure if they will update existing firmware or just new firmware going forward. That will remain to be seen I suppose. Tmobile already has WiFi calling, and from personal experiences, it is awesome as long as you have a good net connection. They even sell a cell spot router to capitalize on the feature.

That's all the info that is widely available. There are other options out there, but involve getting a SIP carrier, VOIP apps, etc... Google Voice is part of this. Google VOIP, Google Voice and SIP for more info on how to use the Native dialer on your android phone to make VOIP calls over wifi.

I don't believe 5.0 will bring wifi calling unless the carrier and phone allow for it. You may be better off with the nexus 6 and their promise of wifi calling in 2015. Since you have tmobile, you will get this feature.
    Good luck

6. swerver32

swerver32 Android Enthusiast

The new hangouts app has WiFi calling built in. Update the app, and then also dl the hangouts dialer, which hangouts will use to make calls. No Google voice required. Not sure if it works for receiving calls though, may need Google voice for that.

7. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

I use Phone Power for voip on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5.
    It is not needed on my N5, except to check the call log or voice mail.

8. edm

edm Lurker

I used to use magic jack for VOIP on my note 3 from AT&T. Worked great and is free.

9. chewdon

chewdon Lurker

I have nexus 5. Just installed Lollipop. It is very sweet but no wifi calling :( Maybe in an update early 2015?

10. edm

edm Lurker

Yes, and only if you have the Tmobile varient. This is what several articles said anyhow.

11. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast

Yes it is. Three (in the UK) have introduced WiFi calling. I have recently downloaded their app, Three InTouch. Mind you, Three's standard call charges are very cheap and I don't make many anyway, so I suppose it won't make too much difference to me.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews