• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Motorola Make A Photon II LTE?

I can't stand qwerty keyboard phones and would pass if the next Moto isn't just touch screen. I don't see myself going to HTC after the bad taste the EVOs GB update gave me. I loved that phone but it turned to hate at the end after that update. My only experience with Samsung phones has been feature phones and those were terrible.

I'm sure Motorola will release a qwerty phone, but I have my doubts that it'll be the replacement to the Photon. Only reason to bring on a qwerty phone at this point, is just to offer competition. I actually do hope that they release one because a person on my secondary lines used to have the epic, hates the iphone (despite desparately wanting one) and now wants to go back to android, but only with a full qwerty slider (not canybar qwerty).

Upvote 0
I'm sure Motorola will release a qwerty phone, but I have my doubts that it'll be the replacement to the Photon. Only reason to bring on a qwerty phone at this point, is just to offer competition. I actually do hope that they release one because a person on my secondary lines used to have the epic, hates the iphone (despite desparately wanting one) and now wants to go back to android, but only with a full qwerty slider (not canybar qwerty).

My ex girlfriend got one of these for hers and loved it after she got an iPhone and used to have a OG DROID:
Keyboard Buddy: Make Your iPhone 4 the QWERTY Slider You Always Wanted

Upvote 0
My ex girlfriend got one of these for hers and loved it after she got an iPhone and used to have a OG DROID:
Keyboard Buddy: Make Your iPhone 4 the QWERTY Slider You Always Wanted

It's not just the qwerty that's important for the person that uses that line though...LOL...they actually thought Android was MUCH easier to use than the iPhone interface...hahahaha...go figure. I guess, the benefit of having me walk them through step-by-step, doesn't hurt either.

There are certain things on the Epic that I helped the person set up exactly to their needs that, there's no way I could really duplicate it on the iPhone (unless I jailbroke it, which there's no way i'd do because I'm even hesitant after almost 2 years using Android).

Upvote 0
See, I go away on vacation and poof! We have some positive chatter. :rock:

I love the nickname MoPhoQ too Drex.

I have my last yearly upgrade before the end of the year. 9/1 actually. And I love my current Photon.

I would love to have a thinner phone though. And I actually like the screen but any improvement would be welcome. And I don't think I ever want to go back to a QWERTY keyboard phone. It would bring back too many scary flasbhacks of the incredibly crappy Epic.

I guess I'm an average customer.

However, I dream of having a phone that would completely replace any need for a laptop or desktop computer. Also I'd love it to replace any need for a cable or satellite company.

I eliminated my land line and I don't subscribe to any cable or satellite. I use my hotspot on the Photon for my desktop. I was hopeful that Wimax would be good enough to meet my needs for surfing on my desktop. It doesn't come close. I hope that LTE and Network Vision will allow me to use my phone to its full potential instead of being crippled by Sprint's current crappy network.

Ideally, I'd like my phone to provide all of my communication needs.

Upvote 0
See, I go away on vacation and poof! We have some positive chatter. :rock:

I love the nickname MoPhoQ too Drex.

I have my last yearly upgrade before the end of the year. 9/1 actually. And I love my current Photon.

I would love to have a thinner phone though. And I actually like the screen but any improvement would be welcome. And I don't think I ever want to go back to a QWERTY keyboard phone. It would bring back too many scary flasbhacks of the incredibly crappy Epic.

I guess I'm an average customer.

However, I dream of having a phone that would completely replace any need for a laptop or desktop computer. Also I'd love it to replace any need for a cable or satellite company.

I eliminated my land line and I don't subscribe to any cable or satellite. I use my hotspot on the Photon for my desktop. I was hopeful that Wimax would be good enough to meet my needs for surfing on my desktop. It doesn't come close. I hope that LTE and Network Vision will allow me to use my phone to its full potential instead of being crippled by Sprint's current crappy network.

Ideally, I'd like my phone to provide all of my communication needs.

From all the chatter and what I understand, Network Vision should completely re-invent Sprint as a completely different (but better) experience than customers currently experience. Check out s4gru.com. They explain it the best, out of all the sites I've been to. The blanket of coverage, once Network Vision is complete, is ridiculously better than what is currently set up. That said, there's never any "guarantees" with anything. The good news for you is that NorCal should be LTE live by the end of the year. I can't remember if SF was in the 1st or 2nd round, but I'm pretty sure all major cities in CA are included by 2nd round of LTE buildout by the end of the year, at the latest.

I honestly don't think that I could ever be 100% comfortable having a phone that would replace my desktop, but as far as computing on the go...yeah, I feel similarly.

I doubt the MoPhoQ is a qwerty phone. If Motorola wanted to explore having a full slideout qwerty (ala Original Moto Droid), they'd release that separately. I'm skeptical that they would, just looking at the fact that ATT has never had one (or put the money out for one to be available), I'm not convinced Sprint would. It's also possible that Verizon has an "exclusive" license for the Moto Droid design, keeping any other providers from having a slide-out qwerty phone. I'm just hoping for one, so that I can get that for the family member on my secondary line.

Upvote 0
I'm definitely not sold on the idea of a qwerty keyboard. My fiancee bought the original Epic over the Evo almost solely due to the keyboard, but she stopped using it within a month. I never really saw a use for it once I got Swype, and now there are tons of excellent touchscreen keypads available. Sliding qwerty keypads only add bulk now as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not sold on the idea of a quad-core processor in a phone. Yes, games will undoubtedly benefit in the long run, but I honestly can't say any of the non-game apps I use on a daily basis even take much advantage of my MoPho's dual core. I've also read reports (mainly in the international One X forum) of people complaining that their phone actually performs *worse* than some dual cores because it refuses to use more than one core. Poor app coding? Probably, but that knowledge isn't helpful to the affected end user.

Finally, I'll just throw out the dates of CTIA next week (May 8-10th) as a possible time period for more solid MoPhoQ leaks (or even an announcement). :ridinghorse:

Upvote 0
I'm definitely not sold on the idea of a qwerty keyboard. My fiancee bought the original Epic over the Evo almost solely due to the keyboard, but she stopped using it within a month. I never really saw a use for it once I got Swype, and now there are tons of excellent touchscreen keypads available. Sliding qwerty keypads only add bulk now as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not sold on the idea of a quad-core processor in a phone. Yes, games will undoubtedly benefit in the long run, but I honestly can't say any of the non-game apps I use on a daily basis even take much advantage of my MoPho's dual core. I've also read reports (mainly in the international One X forum) of people complaining that their phone actually performs *worse* than some dual cores because it refuses to use more than one core. Poor app coding? Probably, but that knowledge isn't helpful to the affected end user.

Finally, I'll just throw out the dates of CTIA next week (May 8-10th) as a possible time period for more solid MoPhoQ leaks (or even an announcement). :ridinghorse:

Regarding sliding qwerty's, there's still a demand for it. I don't need it like I used to, but there still is a demand, so I wouldn't rule out at least an alternate option from Motorola at some point (unless the Droid form factor has an exclusivity clause with Verizon). Will the Q in MoPhoQ stand for Qwerty?...I doubt it. I also kinda doubt that it stands for Quad-core, despite the reports of Tegra 3 being estimated ready for LTE compatibility in 3Q. I just don't think there's enough time for them to test for the release model. I'm thinking more and more that the Q stands for Qualcomm.

I really don't care what kind of processor is in the phone, as long as it prevents from the phone getting laggy or bogged down after downloading hundreds of apps and using all kinds of different apps for different purposes. Aside from memory issues I had on the EVO, due to lack of space, I did happen to notice that the more apps I downloaded, the more bogged down the phone would get and the processor couldn't keep up. I've only experienced a little lag lately with the MoPho, and it's almost the 1 year mark. I also have 2X's the amount of apps than what I had on my EVO...and it still runs smoother than the EVO did w/ the apps installed.

Next couple months are going to be really entertaining trying to dig for information. I agree with the CTIA timeframe to have more leaks. If the Googlrola merger is being estimated to be finalized by end of 2Q, that puts it just in time for them to have a big announcement at Google I/O! How cool would that be, if they also integrated the "official" announcement of the MoPhoQ? Google I/O is at the end of June (27-29). They usually have a cool device to hand out at the event (like when people got the EVO 2 years ago and then last year the Nexus S). I can just picture them handing out MoPhoQ's during that event, especially because it'll be 1 month off from the 1 year anniversary of the MoPho.

Again, all of this is more speculation and assumption, but still fun.

Upvote 0
Posted this in the Sprint sub-forum, but thought I'd mention it over here also:

EVO LTE Pre-Order under way with ship dates as soon as May 15th - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

What's the NDA 105? Is it the Sprint SGS 3 or is it the MoPhoQ? Everyone was focused on the LTEvo release date that nobody is talking about the other device underneath it that has the same processor and is later on the timeline.

gallery_1_2_12592.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm going to try to be an optimist here and say that I will predict that the Photon will have a successor by 12/31/2012 when I'll have to use my last yearly upgrade or lose it.

If not, well, I'm leaning toward keeping my Photon until I see how the LTE rollout and Network Vision improves things and how people like the various LTE devices out there and can upgrade.
:smokin:

Upvote 0
I'm going to try to be an optimist here and say that I will predict that the Photon will have a successor by 12/31/2012 when I'll have to use my last yearly upgrade or lose it.

If not, well, I'm leaning toward keeping my Photon until I see how the LTE rollout and Network Vision improves things and how people like the various LTE devices out there and can upgrade.
:smokin:

I think it'd be a safe bet to see the MoPhoQ (or some sort of successor) before the fall. That is, if Motorola intends on continuing to expand and improve the devices it offers from ATT & Sprint. I don't think the Verizon partnership is enough for Motorola to continue to compete with HTC and Samsung. I personally feel that they should expand on the success of both the original Droid and the Razr, by making the same devices available on Sprint and ATT (that is, if Verizon doesn't have an exclusivity clause...not necessarily name, but more-so the build and device).

Upvote 0
Don't expect a MoPhoQ announcement at CTIA:

5 Trends to Watch at CTIA Wireless 2012

Well boo, but perhaps we'll get more solid information on Sprint's LTE rollout plans. We know some stuff and lots of rumors; direct info would be awesome. Since I can't upgrade for several months, I will be watching the LTE development closely. If it comes to my area sooner rather than later (as rumored), I'll probably use my upgrade quickly depending on what's available. If it gets pushed back, I'll let it fall to the holidays.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm...I posted this link in the Sprint Sub-forum also, but figured it was apporpriate in here also:

New patent reveals Google design for slide-out, QWERTY style phoneAndroidGuys

Maybe the reports of the Photon Q being a "full qwerty" slide-out are true. I'd potentially buy it for my secondary line, but not sure I'd want it as my primary phone. Nontheless, the patent was filed in January this year, but this report was barely at the end of April, so the timing seems pretty good for it to potentially be the first phone for "after" the merger?

Upvote 0
Hmmmm...I posted this link in the Sprint Sub-forum also, but figured it was apporpriate in here also:

New patent reveals Google design for slide-out, QWERTY style phoneAndroidGuys

Maybe the reports of the Photon Q being a "full qwerty" slide-out are true. I'd potentially buy it for my secondary line, but not sure I'd want it as my primary phone. Nontheless, the patent was filed in January this year, but this report was barely at the end of April, so the timing seems pretty good for it to potentially be the first phone for "after" the merger?

The link mentions this design as relating to the Nexus line. So is it saying that this could be the new Nexus phone? I don't think I like the design of this phone. I hope this is not going to be the next Photon or the next Nexus.

Upvote 0
The link mentions this design as relating to the Nexus line. So is it saying that this could be the new Nexus phone? I don't think I like the design of this phone. I hope this is not going to be the next Photon or the next Nexus.

I'm just speculating based on timeframe. It's quite possible that it's a completely different phone, that won't even be offered on Sprint.

They're speculating it's possibly the next Nexus, just because the patent was filed by Google.

Upvote 0
I'm just speculating based on timeframe. It's quite possible that it's a completely different phone, that won't even be offered on Sprint.

They're speculating it's possibly the next Nexus, just because the patent was filed by Google.

I'm hoping its a completely different phone that won't be offered on Sprint. lol. I wish we would get some news from Motorola soon. I don't really want to go to the dark side, Samsung, but they are looking really good right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones