• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Note 8 Get Same TouchWiz Features as S4?

RajCaj

Jul 12, 2011
I picked up an S4, shortly after release, and have been very pleased with all the additional voice / motion control features introduced by the version of TouchWiz that came with it.

I've recently been looking into a 7-8 inch tablet, and tried out a Note 8. Despite the Note 8.0 & the S4 releasing around the same time, I noticed the Galaxy Note 8 is running an older version of Android (4.1.x) and the only motion controls available were the handswipe for screenshot & the smart stay feature that doesn't dim the screen while watching.

My question is, will the Note 8.0 get all the additional voice / motion controls that come with the S4, once it gets upgraded to Android 4.2?

If so, are there any expectations when the upgrade will be officially released?

Thx in advance!

I talked to a Samsung rep @ Best Buy and he said the page flipping & scrolling would not be available because the S4 & Note 8 use different front facing cameras & proximity sensors. Bah!

I love my Android devices (specifically the Samsung products), but its stuff like this that drives me bonkers.

They both have front facing cameras & proximity sensors, but because they are different (as is the case in every single one of the 15+ new Samsung Android devices released every year), the functionality isn't the same.

I would love to have all the goodies (sans the phone related features) on my S4 in a larger device.

Also, I checked the Tab 3 8', and it has the same motion controls as the Note 8', considering it's running 4.2....so I don't expect any changes at all with the upgrade.

Upvote 0
I have both the Note 8.0 and S4. The official 4.2 has been released for the LTE Note 8.0 but not the wifi version yet (don't know about the unofficial version for rooted Note 8.0s), so I would guess the wifi version is next to be updated, who knows when. Different camera/proximity sensors, but both have mics so I could see voice control in the Note 8.0 upgrading to the S4's software.

Upvote 0
I talked to a Samsung rep @ Best Buy and he said the page flipping & scrolling would not be available because the S4 & Note 8 use different front facing cameras & proximity sensors. Bah!

I love my Android devices (specifically the Samsung products), but its stuff like this that drives me bonkers.

They both have front facing cameras & proximity sensors, but because they are different (as is the case in every single one of the 15+ new Samsung Android devices released every year), the functionality isn't the same.

I would love to have all the goodies (sans the phone related features) on my S4 in a larger device.

Also, I checked the Tab 3 8', and it has the same motion controls as the Note 8', considering it's running 4.2....so I don't expect any changes at all with the upgrade.
that makes sense, because there is an additional sensor on the front screen on the s4 that the note 8 doesn't have

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones