1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Will probably wait for N1

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Ubizmo, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ubizmo

Ubizmo Active Member

Feb 9, 2010
    academic
    Philadelphia
    I wrote in my intro, ("On the brink") that I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to the T-Mobile MyTouch 1.2 now, or stay with my BB Curve 8900 and see how I feel about the Nexus 1 in April, which is when I'll be eligible for the discount price.

Makes me wonder if the reason why T-Mobile is offering me an early upgrade is that they make more money selling phones in their own lineup.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll wait until April, then take a close look at the N1.

My reasons are....

1. I took some pictures with my wife's MyTouch 3G. They're okay, but simply not as sharp as what I get with my 8900. The resolution is the same, so it comes down to the optics, and the BB must simply have a better lens. I use my phone camera quite a bit, and I don't really want to give up quality. Absence of a flash on the MyTouch is another factor.

2. I really don't want to give up the Barnes & Noble ereader app. I use it, and I like it, and the ebook apps available so far in the Android Market just aren't as good. I do expect the BN ereader to get to Android eventually, but it isn't there yet.

3. As much as I'd like a bigger screen, I'm not impressed with the MyTouch keyboard, especially without auto-text. Swype input might be faster, but I really don't see why it should be, since it's essentially a one-finger mode. With auto-text set up properly, I don't balk at long emails.

The Nexus 1 may offer enough advantages to override these factors, but I'm not about to pay the absurdly inflated sticker price for it. When I can get it for $180, in April, I'll have another look. Meanwhile, I'll keep checking in here to see what's going on.

Advertisement