• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will RAZR suffer the Motorola random power-on glitch?

Ninjak

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
Laurel, MD
Good evening, gang. I've been asking around trying to gather users' thoughts on this. I work in a secure building where we have to turn off and stow our cell phones in lockers before going beyond the lobby. Therefore, I perform a full shutdown of my Droid 2 and retrieve it after the workday. For the last several weeks, 50% of the time I've opened the locker after work to find my phone already powered on and significantly drained from trying to find a signal all day. Knowing I didn't have this issue pre-Gingerbread, I began researching what could solve it. Lo and behold, I find that this is not only a major, unresolved, well-known problem, but that it seems to be affecting only Motorola Gingerbread phones. All the complaints I see in my research are from Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid X2, and even Bionic owners. Aside from pulling the battery when they want to keep the phone turned off, they've got no answers. This leads me to be quite concerned that the same fate may befall the RAZR. Obviously, Motorola hasn't figured out the cause yet, as evidenced by months of non-solution responses on their support forums, so there's no reason to believe it won't happen to their new phone. It's possible, but definitely not guaranteed, that this issue will vanish in Ice Cream Sandwich. But, even if it does, I sure as hell don't relish the thought of suffering such a problem during the wait for the ICS OTA. Particularly since I can't pull the battery out of a RAZR unlike my Droid 2. Some users have found success in disabling the power saver settings, but about as many have not. I've got the RAZR on pre-order now, but I might have to cancel it or return it to go for the Nexus if no solution reveals itself. Naturally, it'll be said that that's what I should do if that makes me feel more assured, but I was wondering what everyone else thinks. Hopefully this potential dealbreaker can have a happy ending.

Correct, they will waive restocking fees if the phone is returned because of a manufacturer defect. I had the restocking fee waived when I return the Bionic because of the headphone jack feedback. If for some reason the store won't do it (they will try to tell you they can't) you can always go through customer service, though they won't be able to wave it directly, they can credit $35 on your next monthly bill.

Hopefully like red mentioned 2.3.5 fixes some bugs including the one you're having. I'm personally hoping that they fix the 2 week focusing problem with the camera. BTW has you workplace been checked for locker gnomes? Or perhaps Nargles?

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea, CK. Thanks. I was actually surprised to find that the Bionic had the same issues. The average phone user doesn't tend to turn his/her cell off as often as we advanced users do, so I'm not shocked this hasn't been heavily noticed by the general public. No phone is perfect, I realize, but I'll see what I decide to do soon...

Upvote 0
Well, it looks like I've ruled out the power save option as the culprit for my D2. Powered the phone down on the way to work, watched it automagically turn itself on in my hand 3 minutes later. I had a television that did that years ago in the middle of the night once. Scared the hell out of me... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
supposedly there is hardware key combination (volume down & camera button?) on the RAZR to mimick a battery pull but I'm not sure how it works... Do you hit the key combo and it mimicks the battery pull and restarts itself, or do you hit the key combo and it does a "battery disconnect" kind of thing, then you hit the power button to turn it back on?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones