• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will rooting fix phone dial lag?

I have a stock 2.1 Eris. As a phone, it is a flaming turd. Phone-dial lag can be so bad the phone can be making a call minutes after I've hit the button to call. Once a week it is so screwed up that the phone thinks it is in a conference call with the same number at the same time. Because after a minute or two of no call being initiated, silly me, I dial again. Eventually both calls take place. I wind up talking to my wife while I'm also leaving some bogus voice mail at her same number. As it stands, this phone is literally an embarrassment. All of these problems started immediately after the 2.1 OTA update. Yes, I've done a factory reset. I've cleared my call log. Blah blah blah. I just want a phone that can dial without getting all "Special Olympics" on me.

Simple question: Will rooting fix this kind of problem?

In my experience, YES. My wife and I both had terrible phone lag with the Eris. I rooted both phones. I first started with Evil Eris 3.0. All issues and lag were solved on both phones. I've since tried White Widow 4.6 and now running XTR 3.0.3. In all ROMS there was no lag whatsoever. Some ROMS allow you to change the default dialer to Dialer One if you so choose, but I haven't found a need to yet.

Upvote 0
I do have some ringer lag, however, when a call or text message is being received. The screen lights up and the phone vibrates, but the audible sound is delayed. I did not experience this before root. I've had it on 3 different ROMs.
On my stock 2.1 Eris I also sometimes get this ringer lag. I must have the special "Lag Edition" Eris ;)

Upvote 0
I get lag on every rom I've tried.

lag between pressing the contact and the call screen popping up, and then another 5-10 seconds for it to start ringing, and then significant lag for the phone to become responsive after hanging up.

Haven't tried white widow though, maybe time for another nand and giving it a shot.

Upvote 0
I had horrible lag to the point that the phone was practically unusable.

I rooted - and have been LAG FREE.

Running WhiteWidow W4.6

Also of note - the Navigation was somewhat useless pre-root. I was having all sorts of problems with selecting an address to navigate to from the web, confusion between going to navigation and going to just the map, navigating to the previous destination, etc.

After root - the Navigation has worked flawlessly.

Upvote 0
I use xtrSense 3.1 and have the same sense UI I was accustomed to before root, but now I do not experience dialer lag at all and I much prefer the dialer and the keyboard in this ROM to the stock HTC (you have the ability to flash back to stock if that's what you want). In addition, I'm getting vastly better battery life and my phone is much more responsive period. It's like a new phone. Plus, I can remove all of the stock installed apps that I never use and just use up memory running themselves in the background.

I was big time on the fence about this and now I want to kick myself for waiting so long.

Upvote 0
it is a definite yes! .. i have used sense roms that have the htc dialer with absolutely zero lag (zenEXP) and i am using a froyo rom now (tazz) also with no lag. i have had a pretty uniform experience with dialer lag on multiple roms.

btw i had the exact same problem as you before i rooted so it is not just that my phone doesnt have lag to begin with...

Upvote 0
One other question: What is it in all these root ROMs that fixes the lag issues? Is HTC just re+arded? Is everything just clocked faster? Is some bloatware removed?

I work on Android development, and I'm just SHOCKED at how bad this stock Eris is. I mean, I actually like the physical design etc., but the lag -- how did HTC ever let that out the door?

Upvote 0
One other question: What is it in all these root ROMs that fixes the lag issues? Is HTC just re+arded? Is everything just clocked faster? Is some bloatware removed?

I work on Android development, and I'm just SHOCKED at how bad this stock Eris is. I mean, I actually like the physical design etc., but the lag -- how did HTC ever let that out the door?

That's a good question. Also, my battery life has more than doubled! I charged yesterday and I'm still at 58% tonight! Maybe because apps load so much quicker, there's less battery drain? I haven't a clue.

Upvote 0

I can't really answer that as I'm not a programmer type, but I think a lot of the bloatware is gone with these ROMs and also I used SetCPU to overclock to 710 and I'm using profiles to managing processor speed depending on what's going on (probably also contributing to my better battery). I've uninstalled everything I don't use and it's just generally a snappier phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones