1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will rooting my Inc keep me from getting the GB OTA?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jhanna1701, May 27, 2011.

1. jhanna1701

jhanna1701 Newbie

Hi,

I'm a noob to rooting. Just wondering if rooting now will prevent me from getting the (hopefully) upcoming Gingerbread OTA?

Or should I just wait until after Gingerbread to root?

Thanks,

jamie

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dhays90

dhays90 Well-Known Member

If your just leave your phone at stock root you may recieve a notification of the new BG. If try out ROMs will your not be notified. I would go ahead and root your phone because when we do get the GB it may take some time before we can achieve root for it.

3. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

I would strongly recommend that you root now, as it is possible for htc to sneek something into the ota that would make known rooting methods not work.

Rooting with unrevoked3 leaves you with an s-off bootloader that gives you the flexibility to easily replace clockwork with the stock recovery and accept the ota if you'd like. Going back to a rooted state is a easy as reflashing clockwork.

You also have the option to run the leak that's out now, and any other custom roms based that, or on the actual ota.

There are no benefits to waiting that I can think of.

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I wouldn't wait. Never know what they might come up with to block root with the next update. Plus the Inc isn't exactly a spring chicken, it wont be the first phone to get attention.

5. jhanna1701

jhanna1701 Newbie

Thanks for all the good advice guys!

6. Medion

Medion Android Expert

Everyone referring to this news seems to conveniently forget about carrier limitations. An example would be the Xperia Play. Sony has released information on how to unlock the bootloader for this phone...unless you have the Verizon version.

Verizon will not allow unlocked bootloaders on their network. This won't change anytime soon.

7. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Verizon just issued a statement that they will allow unlocked bootloaders on the network.

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

But that doesn't mean they will allow rooted phones or phones with custom roms etc.

8. Medion

Medion Android Expert

My interpretation of that is that they will still not allow an OEM to release a phone with an unlocked bootloader, but should you unlock it after being on their network, they won't suddenly kick you off.

But we'll see, as they were clarifying a previous statement, but it still needs further clarification.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews