• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will rooting my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini reset it to factory default?

frankvw

Lurker
Jun 23, 2013
I'm new to Android, so forgive me if this is a newbie question. I've browsed the forums, read the FAQs, and not found what I'm looking for, so if I overlooked the obvious I apologize in advance.

I'd like to install several apps on my new Samsung Galaxy S3 mini that require the phone to be rooted. That's all I want; I'm not (at present) interested in OS replacements, alternative firmware, overclocking or anything like that. I just want things like the Avast firewall, Droidwall and/or Titanium Backup to work.

However I've spent a lot of time setting up my phone and installing stuff and so on. I've seen any number of tutorials on the web on how to root my phone and it's fairly easy and straight forward, but I am concerned that once the procedure is complete my phone will be back to an out-of-the-box configuration and I'll have to go through days of setting up and customizing it again.

Can anyone who has already done this either confirm my fears or put them at rest?

Thanks in advance!!

// FvW

I rooted my GT-i8190n using the Samsung SIII Mini Toolkit:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2185700

Nothing was wiped and you wouldn't have noticed the difference afterwards except for the fact that SuperSU was installed.

The beauty of this method is that you can choose an 'all in one' option that installs busybox and a custom recovery of your choice all in one go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones