• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will tab2 get 4.3 upgrade?

4.2.2 has been nothing but trouble for me and my tab 2 10.1 16gb w/WiFi
Ever since the upgrade it's been a real hassle to get screenshots. The features are the same, nothing's improved. It's gotten slow as hell. Pressing the 2 buttons for a screenshot is causing too much ware & tear on them. Now it can't update the firmware that samsung keeps requesting, with or without kies. And it won't recover. Now today all of a sudden it is continuously rebooting non-stop every few minutes,uuuuuugh!
My solution is to downgrade back to ICS. I hate Jelly Bean. Do they really think they can keep upgrading these machine without eventually upgrading the hardware too? WTH?

Upvote 0
the update is chock full of bugs. wifi is random, it works only when it wants to. i cannot access Samsung Apps. it always instantly tells me no internet connection but everything else connects fine. i cannot use Play Store. i can open it, browse, but downloads never start. i was never aware this tablet ever had ICS on it. mine as well as my Galaxy S3 came new out of the box with Jelly Bean version 4.1.2

Upvote 0
I'm a bit put off by the update stories, but ....

I've just bought a second hand Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 model # GT-P5100 (it was new in June 13 from Amazon) that has Android 4.0.4 on it on. It had the factory reset done.

I thought this would upgrade to a newer version (it did on another SGT2 I had) - when I go to update it says "No update available" - why is this? Shouldn't it be getting 4.2?

Should I bother with 4.2 at all? Would I be better sticking with 4.0.4?

Thanks
Roy

Upvote 0
thequeenscheese - I have a wifi problem on my tab2 where after a fresh reboot, it will work fine for about a day and then the wifi will keep disappearing - not just disconnecting but becoming not available. I have installed wifi fixer which seems to restore it and it works until the next occurrence. The amount of time between these occurrences seems to reduce until it cant restore the wifi and i have to reboot. Does this sound like a hardware issue or software - I am on the stock 4.2.2 and wondered about trying the cyogenmod 4.2.2 or even later build but dont want the hastle if its a hardware issue as it will be exactly the same on that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones