1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will the 3VO be left behind with the network upgrades?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PyroJing, Jul 8, 2011.

1. PyroJing

PyroJing Member

Just signed up with Sprint last week and I'm loving my Evo 3D. Sure it doesn't have the ridiculous speeds of Verizon's LTE but the phone itself is fast with a few hiccups and no noticeable lag.

The one thing I've noticed though is phone call quality in some places, it seems very fuzzy. I've heard some link this to the speakers on the 3D but it's been crystal clear in other areas. Also this is more Sprint's fault but I noticed voice mail sounds like crap.

So I've been doing some research on the Sprint network and I've noticed some advancements scheduled as early as next year and I wanted to know what features the 3VO can and cannot take advantage of. First off I heard Sprint is dropping it's iDEN network to free up 800MHz frequency, which should allow better reception in buildings. Next I read up about 1X Advanced and EV-DO Rev B, and I've seen some documents stating the MSM8660 chip used in the 3VO does support 1X Advanced like the 1X Advanced pdf that Qualcomm posted earlier in the year, and others saying it doesn't. I hope all these are supported because it will make voice and data better.

The other thing that I've had my eye on for a while is WiMax 2, which offer ludicrous speeds up to 300Mbpss. I've read some things saying WiMax 2 is backwards compatible with WiMax and is easy to upgrade for the towers and is usable on existing WiMax devices, though that last part hasn't been clear on many sites and I haven't found anything really stating if it's true or not. The only other thing I heard is a WiMax chip can use some form of LTE with a firmware upgrade, but I think that's completely false. I do know some future Qualcomm chips will support both, by then Sprint will have both networks available and I'll be up for a new phone. Though I want to make this phone last as long as possible seeing it is awesome and I'm not sure how well 3D will take off for phones in the future and I kinda like having the option on my phone, which is why I'm asking any of these advancements will be usable on my Evo 3D.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

PyroJing likes this.
  3. PyroJing

PyroJing Member

Thanks, I'll check that out to see if it helps, hopefully it won't have issues with my new Airave

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Ah. Check comments for that, could be an issue.

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert

Yea, doing the voice fix borks if you're using an airave to boost signal where you're at. :\

Aside from that, if you DON'T use an Airave, I've had a great change in voice quality since doing that. No more issues, and people say I sound better than a few weeks ago (when I still had my 4g activated).

EarlyMon likes this.
  6. PyroJing

PyroJing Member

Yeah, did notice it sounded better under EVRC-B, but unfortunately it did interfere with my Airave, so unfortunately I'm going to have to wait for another tower to come up near where I live (I live right outside of Chicago, it's ridiculous that I don't have service in all of my apt), or for HTC to find a way to make EVRC sound better on the 3VO...

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews