• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will the Cliq be able to tether?

i have tried downloading pdanet to the phone but it says it not supported
and will not finish the download????????????
if you try to download it for the site and it is not an apk it will deny you... you are probably downloading the pc install program... try downloading it on your pc first copy the apk to your sdcard then use Astro file manager to install it on your phone.

did you pay for pdanet cause it is not worth paying for...

try this Tetherbot
if you are unrooted pda net will do the same thing as tetherbot in the background

Upvote 0
i got the free version. is there any better or easier program out there???
yes it is called rooting your cliq
but i dont think there is really anthing out there that will give u full tethering with out it being rooted but i could be wrong....
for me i did see below

see here how to
starting with this [ROOT] [ROM] The Dudes Root SHX and Custom ROM for CLIQ and DEXT v0.4.1 [12.26.2009] - ModMyMoto - Software Modding Forums and Updates for Motorola Phones read every thing just make sure u have the correct radio

if you recently updated your device to 1.3.18 code with the new radio follow here
[ROOT] Updated for build for 1.3.xx + - ModMyMoto - Software Modding Forums and Updates for Motorola Phones but i say read and research b4 u do this please do... i tether freely with my cliq over wifi

Upvote 0
Guys, PDAnet works great for me and my Cliq. I am not rooted, yet, and I did a Demo of the app for a gentlemen who ended up buying a Droid. It works great. I know some of these posts are a little dated, but as of now, it should work just fine :)
Thanks! I tethered with PDAnet on Windows 7 laptop fine, Netbook with XP would not connect and forced reboot of Cliq for me. However EasyTether worked fine with both.

Upvote 0
Im kinda new to the android software i have only had the motorola cliq xt for about a month now i have been total blackberry for the last 4 years. but i dont know if any one is still reading this post, but i have downloaded the pdanet and the app works great for tethering and it really fast suprisingly enough. it was simple to install and simple to use. when i used the tether feature on the blackberry it was more difficult but i didnt have to download anything, the downside to it was that the internet was super slow. i currently have the cricket broadband as a modem which is slow but cheap and this works alot faster then that does. only downside i have found to this is that i have the app killer installed and when it starts it terminates the session so i have to reconnect but i know that is just a setting that i need to disable for proper workings.

Upvote 0
Will the motorola cliq be able to tether somehow? I would need a phone I can occasionally use for internet on my macbook. Also, what's rooting exactly? Will I be able to do that on the cliq?
I just put PDANET 2.41 on my Macbook & Cliq yesterday. It worked flawlessly for the 45 minutes or so I used it. I was only on Edge so it wasn't very fast (in fact, bordered on painful :eek:) but it did work fine. Looking forward to trying it on 3G next...

You can get it in the App Market and then do a Google search from your Mac... you need to install both (of course).

/BD :cool:

Reactions: toydawg
Upvote 0
I just put PDANET 2.41 on my Macbook & Cliq yesterday. It worked flawlessly for the 45 minutes or so I used it. I was only on Edge so it wasn't very fast (in fact, bordered on painful :eek:) but it did work fine. Looking forward to trying it on 3G next...

You can get it in the App Market and then do a Google search from your Mac... you need to install both (of course).

/BD :cool:

Thanks so much bidedogrun! I installed PDANET 2.41 on both my Macbook and Cliq and it works great! I ended up purchasing the full version since I will use it often. I can't wait to upgrade to 2.x so we could use Bluetooth tethering instead of having it wired. I'm getting decent speeds of 1.25 Mbps down and 1.10 Mbps up. I could live with this.

Upvote 0
I actually upgraded a few months ago to a T-Mobile Nexus One. Running 2.2.1 on it now and WiFi tethering is standard on it. I'm able to use the 3G for my Xbox 360 to play online.

I believe when 2.2 is available for the Cliq, you should be able to root it and get WiFi tethering. Not sure if 2.2 will be made available though.

I'm a n00b in these forums, and this seems to be a late response, but I'm running a rooted [official TMo/Motorola] 2.1 on my Cliq (and have been for a few months now), and am running Barnacle WiFi Tether just fine on it. I use it all the time with either my laptop or iPod Touch. And even before that, I was running a rooted 1.6 custom ROM and was able to use WiFi tethering on it. Forgot which app that was though, as it came with the custom ROM I used.

It eats up battery life like crazy, but you'd be shocked at the range. I was broadcasting Pandora into my iTouch, and I wanted to see how far it would go. It streamed just fine till around 75 feet away, even through building columns and offices and cubicles. Actually, I didn't even test where it cut off, since I literally ran out of building.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones