1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Will the droid play my "digital copy" from a blueray movie?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmichael99, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jmichael99

jmichael99 Member

Feb 28, 2010
    i picked up a few movies this past month and some of them have a digital copy in the package... will they play on the droid? i know they will play on my touch.. but i dont carry it anymore since getting the droid

Advertisement

2. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    Good question. I went into my iTunes directory and loaded one of the movies into my gallery folder. When I tried to play it my Droid said it couldn't. It is an mp4 but I imagine it has some type of copy protection. Hopefully someone else here can give a better answer.

:thinking:

3. anavrin0901

anavrin0901 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    That is correct. A digital copy redeemed in itunes will not work because of the DRM. I know there are ways to convert a WMV file (if redeemed that way) into a playable mp4 file, but I would image that the WMV file may have DRM protection too.

4. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    No,I had the princes and the frog with the three discs, and the digital copy was useless

5. jmichael99

jmichael99 Member

Feb 28, 2010
    thanks for the replys... guess ill use handbrake.. i know it works

6. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Northwestern PA, USA
    Or just download the movie and convert that.. Since you OWN the movie now it is "permissable".

7. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere

I did a little digging and found this thread that while interesting doesn't actually tell you alot other than the legal concepts with DRM:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/25589-digital-copy-movies-drm.html

The other thing I found much more useful was if you google a slightly rephrased version of your original question you will get alot of useful info. Hope this helps.

:D