• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Droids ever have as cool apps as Iphone?

As I know, iPhone is the best one in the market, though it has some infects. Android phones are truely powerful and more user-friendly, but the iPhone is the best one.

Simple query: Why?

You say the iPhone is the best one, so I ask you, why is the iPhone better than Android? Also, I will assume you mean defects not infects? When you make a claim, you should provide a few reasons why you think whatever it is you think.

I think my phone is better because it is less money, the data plan is very nice, it does what I must absolutely do, and I have yet to have problems using my apps.

Bob

Upvote 0
Simple query: Why?

You say the iPhone is the best one, so I ask you, why is the iPhone better than Android? Also, I will assume you mean defects not infects? When you make a claim, you should provide a few reasons why you think whatever it is you think.

I think my phone is better because it is less money, the data plan is very nice, it does what I must absolutely do, and I have yet to have problems using my apps.

Bob

because it is iPhone. :D

Upvote 0
You know what annoys me? People who use "Droid" to refer to all phones running Android. The "Droid" is a specific model line of phones, made by Motorola and available only on the Verizon network.

Please get it right. Don't use "Droid" to refer to all Android phones any more than you'd use "Ford" to refer to all cars.

Anyhow, relevant to the original question:

Android Most Popular Operating System in U.S. Among Recent Smartphone Buyers | Nielsen Wire

Upvote 0
These threads will always pop up, but most users on both sides of the aisle know the answers before they start typing. The iPhone is designed from the ground up as an Apple-controlled appliance. A very pretty one with decent hardware, but an appliance nonetheless. Apple knows their demographic thoroughly and has been generally excellent at providing smartphones for people who don't really want to know what a smartphone is actually capable of. And don't forget form Form FORM over function to the point of crippling it as a basic phone ("here's your bumper"). However, I will say that if my choices were limited to an original Moto Droid with the keyboard (not a fan of the keyboard) and an iPhone 4, I'd get the iPhone and jailbreak it. Fortunately there's now better hardware than either of these; most are running Android.

Is Android excellent? Not yet IMHO, but it's inevitable that it will be. Tasker is a great example of exactly what sets Android apart from iOS; iPhone users have nothing like it and truthfully most of the Apple demographic would have little interest in such an app anyway. It's a given that as the platform matures more and better apps/games will come because there's money to be made (which is another reason to support good Android devs with our $$$).

No doubt, Apple led the way and the iPhone *was* the best at almost everything by default. Those days are over, and the list of stuff that the iPhone can do better is much smaller and shrinking by the day.

My standard answer to any iPhone user asking why I chose Android:

"I need something more capable". :cool:

Upvote 0
So far as I've seen with iPhones its all "Wheee look at my new phone. Wow! Its Awesome!!!"....then 3 weeks down the line, they're downloading an app to tell if they're a good kisser...

The main reason I went for an android phone was after looking on ebay. It gets a bit scary looking at all the faulty iphones.

True though our apps aren't as varied as iphones...but thats no big thing really though is it? When itunes has about 200,000 duplicate apps all to do with twilight/a-team etc.

And comic readers for android are awesome!

I think a considerable part of the Apple fortune comes from people that absolutely must have apple and everything else sucks, period, end of story. The apple core if you will.

Some (many?) of these folks will tell you that apple is the best and everything else stinks, and they have very little knowledge about what they are talking about.

I bought droid because it was inexpensive and it dows everything I need it to do.

Bob

Upvote 0
I also know just by being around people with the Iphone is that once you start putting money into it like games and apps. You are stuck with Iphone. You can only bring those apps and games to another new Iphone. I like having the ability to choose my next model. I just remember my friend the other day getting so mad trying to make a new folder for Pictures threw Itune lol. I still like the Iphone it is a good phone but I need a phone that will do more than just run apps. It has the best games right now and I know those big games are coming to Android so if you need the game right now then go Iphone if you want to do more with a smart phone go Android....

Upvote 0
I'm new to this forum and even I know the answer to this stupid question!

The hardware specs on most Android devices match or exceed those on the iPhone.

The difference in the number of applications available to each platform can be sumed up in one word...

TIME

The iPhone has been around for several years. The Android line of phones has barely had its first birthday. No one with any common sense expects the number of Android apps to match or exceed the number available for the iPhone any time soon.

The iPhone came out in Summer 2007 and didn't get apps until summer 2008, Android came out in Fall 2008 with the G1 and had apps so how is that several years??

Upvote 0
And as much as I like T-mobile, one of they things the absolutely suck even when they have a decent phone, their marketing sucks. Verizon's Droid campaign marked the true beginning of Android. I consider the G1 and MyTouch the Android beta period. The iPhone had Apple's marketing engine to help it along. Even if you're an Apple hater, you have to admit, they are one of the best if not THE best company in the world at marketing their products. And good marketing almost always sells more products than a superior product with no marketing.
I think the reason Android took off so slowly is because the first device was a piece of crap and the early Android software was not very good. The G1 didn't even have a headphone jack!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones