• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Eris be able to run 2.2?

Just as stated I haven't seen anywhere that the Eris can actually handle 2.2 or not. From what little I have read about 2.2 with the 450% speed increase that sounds very inviting. I know that we are just finally getting around receiving the 2.1 OTA but this has been on my mind ever sense I read about the performance increase.I have seen mentions that it cant handle it because of the CPU but I'm not sure. Can anyone clear this up for me that actually knows if the Eris can handle 2.2?

The processor is too slow, so no.

is that really it? I mean, in comparison to the Moto Droid, which I can only assume would be able to handle Froyo, the processor speed is negligible. 528MHz for the Eris and 500MHz for the Moto.

But, they are different manufacturers. ARM vs. Qualcomm.

I'm just speculating but I bet it would be possible just not optimal.

Upvote 0
I think the point of 2.2 isn't to make the phone more animated and such, but rather the opposite: It's supposed to be a slimmed-down version so that every phone can run the same OS.

The CPU-intensive apps are supposed to be split off from the OS, so that for instance, only phones that can reasonably support Live Wallpapers will get Live Wallpapers. It's similar to how they handled Google Earth: It's not built into 2.1; you download it as an app if your phone supports it.

If they're really embracing that goal moving forward, then I think it's likely that Google will encourage HTC (and the carriers) to officially send out 2.2 for all users.

Upvote 0
is that really it? I mean, in comparison to the Moto Droid, which I can only assume would be able to handle Froyo, the processor speed is negligible. 528MHz for the Eris and 500MHz for the Moto.

Apples and oranges, both are fruit but... It is like comparing an Intel P4 1.5Ghz to a Core 1.5Ghz, sure they both run at 1.5 but one is vastly superior to the other.

Apple's iPad A4 SoC: Faster than the Nexus One's Snapdragon? - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

while not the exact processors in question, it conveys the relative point. I am more excited about hearing Intel is looking to jump into the smart phone processor market. That should really shake things up.

Upvote 0
2.2, from what what I can understand, is not an entirely new OS. So it shouldn't be too much more demanding. So in technicality, it should be able to run 2.2, since I think it would just be 2.1 with more optimization, new features and such. 3.0+ is where we would run into problems however, since I'm sure that's when they will start leaving old phones behind in favor of features that require more power.

Upvote 0

1. ARM does not Mfr CPUs. All they do is design and sell the plans for companies like Samsung, qualcomm, ect to Mfr.

2. The 550mhz cortex cpu in the Moto droid is over twice as fast as the 528mhz Arm11 cpu in the Eris.

Upvote 0
I think the point of 2.2 isn't to make the phone more animated and such, but rather the opposite: It's supposed to be a slimmed-down version so that every phone can run the same OS.

The CPU-intensive apps are supposed to be split off from the OS, so that for instance, only phones that can reasonably support Live Wallpapers will get Live Wallpapers. It's similar to how they handled Google Earth: It's not built into 2.1; you download it as an app if your phone supports it.

If they're really embracing that goal moving forward, then I think it's likely that Google will encourage HTC (and the carriers) to officially send out 2.2 for all users.

+1 for me. Google has stated that they want less OS fragmentation and that they also plan to slim down even their core components just as is stated above.

Upvote 0
Yep, Google's goal is to eliminate the OS fragmentation as nestor already said. With that in mind everything should get 2.2 in some form. The Eris may lack some features, like live wallpaper is not available now, but it should still run. Remember all the talk that said 2.1 would never work? Anybody know how that turned out?

Reactions: TDianna
Upvote 0
No way Live wallpapers will run on the Eris. No way what so ever. The CPU in the Eris does not have the FPU power to process them. Live wallpapers would completely cripple the phone.

unsuccessful_troll.jpg

But in all seriousness, if it is just a slimmed down, optimized 2.1 with a few extra features (full flash support), I see no reason why the eris couldn't run it.

Upvote 0
But in all seriousness, if it is just a slimmed down, optimized 2.1 with a few extra features (full flash support), I see no reason why the eris couldn't run it.
Im sorry, its just not going to happen. The Eris is not capable of running live wallpapers, there is no way it will run flash 10 since its FPU power is weak and it does not have the NEON instruction set in the CPU. You wanted to know if the Eris will get 2.2 and I am telling you. No it will not because its too slow to run many of the new features. Im sorry if this upsets you but its still the facts.

Upvote 0
Im sorry, its just not going to happen. The Eris is not capable of running live wallpapers,

. Im sorry if this upsets you but its still the facts.

And I hate to break it to you, but, this is not the facts. Plenty of rooted Eris owners have run live wallpapers. Some of them are more resource intensive than others.

Capable? Yes.

Optimal? Probably not.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones