• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the EVO 4G get Ice Cream Sandwich?

The next question seriously is... What do we do now? Why you ask? I really loved my phone for the first year I had it. It's been rooted since day one so I never got around to Gingerbread, and after awhile was glad about not upgrading. In any case, yes it would be nice to have ICS on my EVO 4g but lets face facts. Their isn't enough memory on it to begin with, I am constantly running low on memory. (The 3d has twice the RAM) Plus Sprint should be selling 4g LTE phones by summer of next year. They plan on keeping WiMax up in the areas it currently is running in but they will not add any new areas, which means if you travel your stuck in 3g. So I ask myself, why keep a phone that will run slow on ICS AND is 5 times slower on it's internet access even when I'm running 4g which I'm being forced to pay an extra $10 a month for?

Upvote 0
The next question seriously is... What do we do now? Why you ask? I really loved my phone for the first year I had it. It's been rooted since day one so I never got around to Gingerbread, and after awhile was glad about not upgrading. In any case, yes it would be nice to have ICS on my EVO 4g but lets face facts. Their isn't enough memory on it to begin with, I am constantly running low on memory. (The 3d has twice the RAM) Plus Sprint should be selling 4g LTE phones by summer of next year. They plan on keeping WiMax up in the areas it currently is running in but they will not add any new areas, which means if you travel your stuck in 3g. So I ask myself, why keep a phone that will run slow on ICS AND is 5 times slower on it's internet access even when I'm running 4g which I'm being forced to pay an extra $10 a month for?

well since you are rooted there are tons of ways to get around the ram issue on your evo. you can get a class 4 or higher sd card and then partition your card so that you can move the entire app to the card. the apps2sd does not move the apps fully to the card. only parts of it are moved and the rest stays on the phone. you can also flash aosp roms. they have sense removed and thus are way smaller then sense roms.

and as far as ics working on the evo, i have faith that they will be able to get this thing ported to our phone. i think that once htc has release an ics phone then the devs can get the code and should be able to easily ported it to the evo. at this time all the devs have to work with is the pure ics code so it will take some time to get things working right. i would be patient and just wait. i know a stable release is coming soon.

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0

why are you not going to GB? and the new Sense?

This is a great stable ROM:
[ROM] - [MikRoms] - [12/17/2011] - MikG v3.0 - Re-Engineered GB Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - xda-developers

you will love your EVO again. ;)

ICS will come to rooted EVOs soon. :D

Upvote 0
Ocnbrze, do you know the difference between RAM and drive space? Partitioning will do nothing for the lack of memory. It will also do nothing for the wiMax vs. lte issue not to mention they should have used wireless n instead of g like they did in the thunderbolt.

yes partitioning will help your memory in that you can move cache and dalvik cache to the sd card and thus freeing up your memory. but both are located in your phones disk space and so if you have a lot of apps taking up space you will run out of room for your caches and thus your phone will slow down.

and you are right on lte vs wimax that will not help.

but you can always flash a custom kernel. the freedom kernel supports wireless n.

but it really sounds like you want to move on anyways to a different phone.

Reactions: Rxpert83 and dan330
Upvote 0
Ocnbrze, do you know the difference between RAM and drive space? Partitioning will do nothing for the lack of memory. It will also do nothing for the wiMax vs. lte issue not to mention they should have used wireless n instead of g like they did in the thunderbolt.

cant argue the 4G change thing... it is what it is.

but partitioning helps RAM ... in a big way! read more on that MOD to see how you are wrong.

Upvote 0
Found this so take it for what it's worth:

HTC knows how excited our fans are to get their hands on Google's latest version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, so we're thrilled today to announce the first wave of HTC phones that will receive upgrades: We can confirm the brand new HTC Vivid is upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich. In addition, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming in early 2012 to a variety of devices including the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XL and HTC Sensation XE, as well as the HTC Rezound, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G and HTC Amaze 4G through close integration with our carrier partners. We're continuing to assess our product portfolio, so stay tuned for more updates on device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Ice Cream Sandwich.

Upvote 0
i test drive ICS on my evo... was fast and snappy... obviusly the devs are working on ironing out the lasts bugs... like calendar not sync, laggy app drawer on first start but ok afterwards. 4g and camera not working, as well as a few lags here and there every so often. i say it wont be long before its all set

the version i test drove was Jaredthegreats

https://plus.google.com/photos/1157...s/5695409823347378465?authkey=CN_Hop-P2ZLbpAE

Upvote 0
So I ask myself, why keep a phone that will run slow on ICS AND is 5 times slower on it's internet access even when I'm running 4g which I'm being forced to pay an extra $10 a month for?

Sprint has been adding the extra $10 to all plans since June 2011 if you have an Android device.
The only Android phone that was exempt was/is the Samsung Replenish.

My wife has one. It doesn't hold a candle to the EVO but it was upgraded to GB 2.3.6 yesterday with an OTA.

So we all pay the $10. premium. It's not just for 4G devices anymore.

Naters

Upvote 0
The Evo does NOT run slow on ics. ICS on the evo 4g is blazingly fast.

Twilightkid, everyone is being very nice to you instead of hitting you with the facts.

The facts are that you need to upgrade your rom. When you do, you need to do a FULL WIPE of the phone AND the sd card. Partition it, and give MikG 3.0 a try. It is also extremely fast.

My Evo runs incredibly fast. You're just doin it rong. Moreover, ICS will run fantastically on any halfway decent phone that you stick it on.

In case you are completely unaware, there is still only one phone that can actually compare with the Evo4G. Phones running dual and quad cores are useless at this present moment because none of the roms or apps take advantage of the other cores yet.

This should all change when htc announces the EDGE and the Zeta.

Upvote 0
@TwilightKid - If you do go the route of MikG 3.0 on your evo, it should run great without partitioning.

I've had B2 since it was out, and haven't gotten low memory yet, I don't have a billion apps installed, but I don't worry about it either. I have installed everything that I want.

I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing if you've been rooted since you got the phone - but haven't updated the rom - that you might be running the same rom, so you're probably getting a boat load of apps that you (may) not use, which is just wasting space. Shouldn't have low memory issues really....

and apps2sd does in fact work (as other's have kindly said).

Upvote 0

ok first off the specs is for the evo shift and not the og evo, unfortunately. second the og evo is an eol phone so there will be no further updates coming to the beloved evo. the only option really is to root your phone and flash an ics rom which there are now a few of them. they are all in some form of alpha or beta versions as of now.

also i do not trust everything i read on the net. i am sorry but the christian post is not a place that i will get my latest tech news from. i am not try to diss the website, but there are better sources to get tech news from.

Upvote 0
ok first off the specs is for the evo shift and not the og evo, unfortunately. second the og evo is an eol phone so there will be no further updates coming to the beloved evo. the only option really is to root your phone and flash an ics rom which there are now a few of them. they are all in some form of alpha or beta versions as of now.

also i do not trust everything i read on the net. i am sorry but the christian post is not a place that i will get my latest tech news from. i am not try to diss the website, but there are better sources to get tech news from.

I too will not get my info from that site...the guy had no idea what he was talking about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones