• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the EVO 4G get the "NEW" HTC Sense?

Upvote 0
if you use launcher pro or something similar, everything is landscape when you put the kickstand out for public applause.

also, my mixzing music player goes landscape anyway.........

exactly, agreed. ESPECIALLY with a landscape music player. we have a kickstand and the music player doesn't switch to landscape. how terrible is that?

Upvote 0
Wow, that new Sense looks AWESOME. That dude lives about 10 minutes from me. I sent him a message (via Youtube) and asked if he could or would put that on my EVO (I will pay him of course) since I don't know how to root that well and don't want to brick my phone. Will see what he says.

did you know that on craigslist.org there are people that offer the service to root phones. I see prices around $30 -50.

give it a look in your area.

I do suggest you do it yourself. because you will then have the knowledge to fix it yourself. When you play with ROMS and other themes, you will most likely need these skill often.

Upvote 0
This is why I love my evo.... XDA is already getting a port of the new htc desire sense ready for the evo...

[ROM] Desire HD port & MIUI port for EVO users! - xda-developers

It is also rumored that all htc 2.2 devices will receive the new sense..

HTC Spain Says Current Android 2.2 Sense Devices Will Get New HTC Sense? | Android Phone Fans

Walk through of new sense videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_fExfBZfWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUZ-pfJUbYI

YouTube - HTC Desire HD Skins for Sense UI

Upvote 0
Too bad the hardware is crap.

Think of the company logic:

Press conference with employees that clearly learned English as a second language.
Continual design flaws that reoccur in new models.

I hate Apple, but they seem to be the only company that can make nice smartphone hardware.

The Desire HD is what the Evo should have been...but the camera is still jacked up.

yea, except you cant use it left handed...great design team there...

Upvote 0
I saw a video on the new sense and I couldn't finish watching it. It was like the amateur reviewer was having an organsm over it, its only a UI, I forget where I saw it but it was on a blog site or something. If you can stomach the exuberance, sorry I can't remember where I saw it.

go find the professional one released by HTC on youtube

Upvote 0
A few points:

1. There's more to life than speaking English as a first language. Personally, I always applaud the guy whose English language skills are rough around the edges. At least he can speak more than one language well, which is more than I can say for most of my friends.

2. The guys in the video speak English very well. I know this because my mother was an English teacher, I have been an English teacher and I'm currently a writer with two books out. The person who's complaining has confused English language skills with an American accent. The men in the video have accents. Their English usage is fine.

3. I love the fact that it's those guys telling me about the phone and not Steve Jobs. The world is huge and includes America, but its experiential vocabulary should not be limited to American points of reference. Global innovation is so much bigger than any single country.

Besides which, don't you get tired of blockbuster franchises? Which would you rather see, another sequel to Transformers or a new Last Life in the Universe?

4. The presentation was emotional and personal and emphasized simplicity. In those respects it resembled Jobs's presentation style, but the presenters added concepts that have never occurred to Jobs. With Apple, the world is an opaque projector. It's always about Jobs showing slides on his rectangular screen. Now look at HTC's surround screen on steroids, and how it reproduces the sense of being surrounded by stimuli in the world. Notice the emphasis on motion and transition. That isn't an imitation of Jobs. That's original. Give HTC credit.

5. I love the fact that HTC is this focused on phones. Samsung is a great company, and I love their keyboards and screens. But the tender little details in HTC's hardware/software integration show the care and commitment of the devs and designers, and it's hard not to acknowledge the superiority of that approach to Samsung's kitchen-sink inclusiveness.

6. The HD Desire HD is tackling all of the design limitations that made me forgo the Evo reluctantly. I love that phone, but I specifically need a qwerty keyboard as a writer. The Desire HD provides that, and if the Evo had had one, I'd own an Evo now without question.

7. I love metal, and the Desire HD looks sexier to me than the Evo, but it also looks like a Canon SD940, which is a wee tad fragile. I wonder whether the Evo won't prove to be more durable than the Desire HD over time. And I wonder whether HTC's new take on the clamshell won't bring with it new design flaws (always a potential liability of design innovation).

8. I'm not sure I like the choices HTC made in terms of the keyboard layout. I think I prefer the Epic's layout (with the exception of the horrible smiley key), but my feelings might change completely when I'm holding the Desire HD and using it myself.

8. I'm hoping Sprint will carry the next-gen HTC phones (though people on this thread have referred to the Desire HD as "European"). Does anyone know if they will?

Reactions: cabbie
Upvote 0
yea, except you cant use it left handed...great design team there...

Take into account also that Apple is only producing one model phone and updating that one model every year or so and only aiming it at AT&T where as the other cell phone makers produce numerous models, for different carriers.

No excuse for manufacturing flaws etc but even the Iphone had problems. Where Iphone is locked meaning you can't switch out cards or change batteries, these other phones you can. I like having the freedom of choosing to have spare batteries and change out sd cards if I desire to.

Why Stever Jobs and Apple do what they do, I still can't figure it out.

Upvote 0
A few points:

1. There's more to life than speaking English as a first language. Personally, I always applaud the guy whose English language skills are rough around the edges. At least he can speak more than one language well, which is more than I can say for most of my friends.

2. The guys in the video speak English very well. I know this because my mother was an English teacher, I have been an English teacher and I'm currently a writer with two books out. The person who's complaining has confused English language skills with an American accent. The men in the video have accents. Their English usage is fine.

3. I love the fact that it's those guys telling me about the phone and not Steve Jobs. The world is huge and includes America, but its experiential vocabulary should not be limited to American points of reference. Global innovation is so much bigger than any single country.

Besides which, don't you get tired of blockbuster franchises? Which would you rather see, another sequel to Transformers or a new Last Life in the Universe?

4. The presentation was emotional and personal and emphasized simplicity. In those respects it resembled Jobs's presentation style, but the presenters added concepts that have never occurred to Jobs. With Apple, the world is an opaque projector. It's always about Jobs showing slides on his rectangular screen. Now look at HTC's surround screen on steroids, and how it reproduces the sense of being surrounded by stimuli in the world. Notice the emphasis on motion and transition. That isn't an imitation of Jobs. That's original. Give HTC credit.

5. I love the fact that HTC is this focused on phones. Samsung is a great company, and I love their keyboards and screens. But the tender little details in HTC's hardware/software integration show the care and commitment of the devs and designers, and it's hard not to acknowledge the superiority of that approach to Samsung's kitchen-sink inclusiveness.

6. The HD Desire HD is tackling all of the design limitations that made me forgo the Evo reluctantly. I love that phone, but I specifically need a qwerty keyboard as a writer. The Desire HD provides that, and if the Evo had had one, I'd own an Evo now without question.

7. I love metal, and the Desire HD looks sexier to me than the Evo, but it also looks like a Canon SD940, which is a wee tad fragile. I wonder whether the Evo won't prove to be more durable than the Desire HD over time. And I wonder whether HTC's new take on the clamshell won't bring with it new design flaws (always a potential liability of design innovation).

8. I'm not sure I like the choices HTC made in terms of the keyboard layout. I think I prefer the Epic's layout (with the exception of the horrible smiley key), but my feelings might change completely when I'm holding the Desire HD and using it myself.

8. I'm hoping Sprint will carry the next-gen HTC phones (though people on this thread have referred to the Desire HD as "European"). Does anyone know if they will?

i agree with you on all your points..

but i might have mis read your understanding on the Keyboard.
Desire HD has no physical keyboard. It is like the EVO with a new metal outer casing.
The Desire Z is the smaller screen with a physical keyboard. Which looks very interesting and cool. the epic just moves to easily.. and as you pull it out of your pocket, it can move. the Z .. i can imagine it will not, because of how it must pull apart in order to transition to the open state. only a specific motion will allow it to open. also with how it lock into place.. with the outer edges (you can see it in all the pics available), this design will give it a rigid lock in both open and closed positions. there for it will not get that oreo feeling. keep its clean slide longer. (this is my guess of course)

Upvote 0
I was privy to a demo of 6 handsets running the new sense ui, as well as 3 tablet PC's taking it for spin..

All of the devices ran fairly well on it and had no major hiccups that I could tell.

I can add that 2 tablets will launch with it and 3 phone devices 2 existing will get it as an upgrade.

But honestly I don't see the value in them adding it to older devices from a business stand point.

Any device running android 2.2 is capable of being re-skined with the new sense, but I doubt they will do it because of the new sales incentive not to add it to older devices

Upvote 0
I was privy to a demo of 6 handsets running the new sense ui, as well as 3 tablet PC's taking it for spin..

All of the devices ran fairly well on it and had no major hiccups that I could tell.

I can add that 2 tablets will launch with it and 3 phone devices 2 existing will get it as an upgrade.

But honestly I don't see the value in them adding it to older devices from a business stand point.

Any device running android 2.2 is capable of being re-skined with the new sense, but I doubt they will do it because of the new sales incentive not to add it to older devices

I suppose EVO is one of the older units, since you're posting on this forum? ;)

Upvote 0
Yes EVO was one of them.

Motorola had a phone and a Tablet running it..

Web os had a strange hybrid Tablet running it..

Why would HTC demo their Android skin running on non-HTC products? That doesn't make sense. Excuse the pun.

The Evo is still HTC's flagship phone. There's still a business case for providing updates for this phone (including skins), as we've seen in the past week.

Upvote 0
Even though the EVO 4G is still the flagship phone, I'm still hoping that HTC and Sprint do come out with a world Android Phone much like what the Touch Pro 2 is, with the ability to have a sim card (with or without a keyboard) and be able to use it both on CDMA and GSM networks. That would truly be a world phone geared to the Business mindsets. But knowing how Sprint comes out with 1 or 2 top of the line phones every year, I doubt we will see such a monster anytime before the Touch Pro 2 and EVO 3Gs' EOL timeframe.

TS out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones