• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the iphone kill Android?

> Bbrosen, how is your mytouch underpowered while is has VERY SIMILIAR specs to your beloved iphone 3gs.

Not to flog the horse's rotting corpse, but I think everyone knows the answer to this one... Apple uses the iPhone's GPU acceleration. HTC's Android phones have chipsets capable of GPU acceleration, but they don't use it.

Upvote 0
> Bbrosen, how is your mytouch underpowered while is has VERY SIMILIAR specs to your beloved iphone 3gs.

Not to flog the horse's rotting corpse, but I think everyone knows the answer to this one... Apple uses the iPhone's GPU acceleration. HTC's Android phones have chipsets capable of GPU acceleration, but they don't use it.

Bet you its in the works.... I wonder if the n1 does.... but still, that doesn't make a phone underpowered as a whole. Most of the phones functions don't require heavy graphics processing.

Upvote 0
Apple isnt in the business of inovation/invention. They are in the business of marketing. They are really good at marketing their version of someone elses idea but we are at the point where if you want to be relevant in a smart phone world you need more than just marketing. You're going to have to be original as well. I wish apple lots of luck on that front.
not true. look at anything from phones to movies to cars to whatever; good marketing is what gets stuff sold, not superior quality

But for the basic stuff I need to work like a champ (email, calendar, to-do) the droid comes up lacking.
try calwidget for the calendar/to-do

As far as I'm concerned, the phone market is likely to end up with 2.5 to 3 platforms, just like PCs (but slightly different details):

* A Linux-based Phone OS that will probably be Android, or at least heavily dominated by it. Right now, I'd predict that Palm will end up in a position somewhere between that of Sega/Atari and Mandriva -- a major commercial publisher of Android apps, possibly with a premium commercial version of Android to call its own. Possibly an OEM-branded "Pre Experience" with its own unique look and feel.

* An Apple-owned OS whose niche consists of people who have more money than technical inclination.

* An "Enterprise"-oriented OS. If I had to place bets, I'd predict this as the future marriage of Windows Mobile with Blackberry.

i take it you've never heard of a small finnish rubber boot manufacturer called "nokia"?
while maemo will surely be a relevant competitor to android (among other more technically inclined os'es), i can see how you'd leave that out, but symbian holds half the smartphone os marketshare and it's not going anywhere

Upvote 0
"Smartphone" != "high end PDA phone". Symbian phones aren't even relevant anymore to the crowd that buys phones like an iPhone, a Nexus One, or a Touch HD2.
symbian is a much smarter smartphone than the iphone - ui not withstanding

sure it's not relevant to people who buy devices such you mentioned, but it's relevant to people who might use a blackberry - it's much more business oriented and less of a cool fashion gadget

and apparently symbian^3 & symbian^4 should revive the veteran to continue fighting

Upvote 0
What to do when a carrier gets tired of the time cost and expense of updating handsets, my carrier is already expressing doubt about this, as they will be selling 600.00 phones with no chance to upgrade the OS,

i hope you realize that the thousands of iphone users will not be getting 4.0 unless they upgrade. That device is not going to get the upgrade, all of those people will be forced to buy a new phone if they want the new software. Android at least allows for software to be upgraded...some will be left behind due to hardware issues, but at least the phones that are able to run the latest and greatest will eventually get it...unlike the iphone where if you want the newest you need to buy a whole new phone. talk about alienating your entire userbase in one fowl swoop.

not true. look at anything from phones to movies to cars to whatever; good marketing is what gets stuff sold, not superior quality

I do agree with you but marketing alone isnt going to sell the iphone forever, look at the ipad.

Upvote 0
Software wise I feel Android has the potential to move ahead of the iPhone and then remain there, if it isn't already the front runner. However, hardware wise I think the only phone that rivals the iPhone is the Nexus One and the rumored Supersonic is going to surpass both. So, NO I think once all carriers have a phone that has comparable or superior hardware an iPhone will not steal the show if it becomes available to all carriers. And having so many Android phones with hardware keyboards is a huge bonus.

Samsung Moment is alot better then iphone as well :)

Upvote 0
Someone tell me this: what is it with iPhone users/Mac fanboys? I've never felt the urge to register on a Mac/iPhone forum and tell them how godawful their platform is, how overpriced their status symbols are, how generally simple-minded they tend to be, and how Android is a superior mobile OS to the iPhone. Never. Even though I believe all of this to be true. Does anyone?

Upvote 0
Someone tell me this: what is it with iPhone users/Mac fanboys? I've never felt the urge to register on a Mac/iPhone forum and tell them how godawful their platform is, how overpriced their status symbols are, how generally simple-minded they tend to be, and how Android is a superior mobile OS to the iPhone. Never. Even though I believe all of this to be true. Does anyone?

I think it's an inferiority complex that they have. If they try to convince others that they have not been suckered then maybe they can convince themselves. :D

Upvote 0
I harbor a virulent hatred of Apple, so I'm one of those rabid anti-fans you don't like. But as I said, even then I have never felt the impulse to register on a community dedicated to Apple products and unleashed my loathing. So I don't get it.

Over in the N1 forum, there's even the occasional Droid fanboy trolling us. That I understand even less.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones