1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Will the Mercury get an upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lennatron, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Lennatron

Lennatron Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    Male
    College Student
    PA
    Hi all,

I'd like the Mercury but I am only willing to purchase it if it is guaranteed by Huawei or Cricket to get ICS, because I can't see buying a new phone without the latest version of Android.

Advertisement

2. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Huawei has said they would update it, and they already released an Alpha build for the Honor (European version), but it still depends on whether Cricket decides to get the update from them, and so far they say they are undecided, so no guarantees. Hopefully they listen to their customers this time unlike the Ascend debacle, but personally I'm skeptical.

3. ciabatoni

ciabatoni Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    construction, auto mechanic, tattoo artist, "Fathe
    Atlantic City, N.J.
    well this is the best phone crickets has, so I doubt they would update the zio, indulge and ascend 2 and NOT update the mercury, that would be ridiculouse. Not to mention there is already a link for ICS 4.0 in mediafire. Which I have and flashed to and I didnt really seem to like it at all. And even if cricket decides against the updates, which they wouldn't. you could always download from the huawei site...

4. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Did the Indulge ever get Gingerbread? I thought it was still on Froyo. As far as I know, the only upgrade to a full new version of Android was for the Zio, and that was probably a nightmare for their let's say, "under trained" employees. If they want to push out an "update" to add their stupid Muve music service, they can keep it. From what I've read, it made the Ascend 2 worse. I'm not saying Cricket won't do an upgrade to ICS, but I don't think it's a sure thing. The thing about Cricket is they don't seem to really care about keeping their customers, they put more effort into churning up new ones who have to buy a phone. If Cricket was really sure they were going to do the upgrade, you would think they would be shouting it from the rooftops, since that would be a huge selling point for their top phone. Instead, they are giving this "we don't know yet" answer which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

5. the258

the258 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    Medical Distributer
    McAllen TX
    There is a leaked ROM for GB on the Indulge or flash via Odin.
    I think Huawei will release the Upgrade via their site and people can update on their own and not wait for Cricket. I have seen them do this for the U8800.
    Would be cool if they did this instead.

6. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    I've not seen Cricket do an upgrade for any phone, a patch maybe, but not a true upgrade. And the pofs zio dont count lol

7. the258

None

Jun 22, 2011
    Medical Distributer
    McAllen TX
    hey now it counts. Its a cheap android phone from cricket and it got the upgrade. :D

whatever it truly was, it was better than the stock 1.6. The only true upgrade from the Zio was buying the Indulge.

8. d34thbl00m

d34thbl00m Newbie
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Well according to the Huawei website, there isn't even a Mercury on there, just the Honor which is not the same as what most of us have. Also, there is a new phone being released in April...Ascend P1/P1S, boasting even better specs than the Mercury. Check it out.

Ascend - CES 2012 - Huawei Device

The article for the unveiling is towards the top of the page.

9. the258

None

Jun 22, 2011
    Medical Distributer
    McAllen TX
    seeing that they are similar devices, there is no need for another for another page to make?
    any who, you can go here
    Downloads - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..
    search it manually under M886.