• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Mercury get an upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich?

Hi all,

I'd like the Mercury but I am only willing to purchase it if it is guaranteed by Huawei or Cricket to get ICS, because I can't see buying a new phone without the latest version of Android.
Huawei has said they would update it, and they already released an Alpha build for the Honor (European version), but it still depends on whether Cricket decides to get the update from them, and so far they say they are undecided, so no guarantees. Hopefully they listen to their customers this time unlike the Ascend debacle, but personally I'm skeptical.

Upvote 0
well this is the best phone crickets has, so I doubt they would update the zio, indulge and ascend 2 and NOT update the mercury, that would be ridiculouse. Not to mention there is already a link for ICS 4.0 in mediafire. Which I have and flashed to and I didnt really seem to like it at all. And even if cricket decides against the updates, which they wouldn't. you could always download from the huawei site...

Upvote 0
well this is the best phone crickets has, so I doubt they would update the zio, indulge and ascend 2 and NOT update the mercury, that would be ridiculouse. Not to mention there is already a link for ICS 4.0 in mediafire. Which I have and flashed to and I didnt really seem to like it at all. And even if cricket decides against the updates, which they wouldn't. you could always download from the huawei site...
Did the Indulge ever get Gingerbread? I thought it was still on Froyo. As far as I know, the only upgrade to a full new version of Android was for the Zio, and that was probably a nightmare for their let's say, "under trained" employees. If they want to push out an "update" to add their stupid Muve music service, they can keep it. From what I've read, it made the Ascend 2 worse. I'm not saying Cricket won't do an upgrade to ICS, but I don't think it's a sure thing. The thing about Cricket is they don't seem to really care about keeping their customers, they put more effort into churning up new ones who have to buy a phone. If Cricket was really sure they were going to do the upgrade, you would think they would be shouting it from the rooftops, since that would be a huge selling point for their top phone. Instead, they are giving this "we don't know yet" answer which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones