1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will the Moto G get the update to Android L?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MrCarrot, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MrCarrot

MrCarrot Newbie

There's numerous posts online saying it will, but I don't believe those posts are legitimate.

Supposedly someone had an online chat with a Motorola support agent and the transcript showed that the support agent said Android L will be coming to the Moto G. But guess what, support staff don't always get things right (particularly on online chat).

So, do we think the Moto G will get the update?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Me_Droid_Freak

Me_Droid_Freak Daryl Bowman

As you mentioned, there's no way of knowing...

3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Since KitKat, Google has been strong on reducing, if not removing system requirements for future updates of Android; which is the reason why you see a lot of less powerful phones are running KK, not problem.
    That said, I'd say there's a very, very good chance that the Moto G will get L. It could depend on the variant as well for a timeline. My US GSM Moto G still hasn't gotten 4.4.4 while the Verizon model has had it for a while now.

4. xenoblade

xenoblade Newbie

yes it will eventually and this comes from the manufacturer, and is well mentioned in the press and advertising .

5. gogomouse1

gogomouse1 Well-Known Member

That's great to hear. As much as I have "upgrade fever" just like everyone else these days, I'd be just fine sticking with my Moto G for a few years, as long as it holds up.Heck, mine is non-rooted (Verizon :( ) and I still love the phone.

The upgrade to "L" will make it feel like getting a new phone.:)

6. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Android Enthusiast

Considering that the Moto G (2013) and Moto G (2014) carry the same internals as far as the amount of RAM and chipset go, its safe to say that the 2013 Moto G will get Android "L."

The Moto G (2014) is slated to get Android "L" so there shouldn't be any reason why the 2013 Moto G wouldn't receive it.

7. araxxis

araxxis Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when this is coming to moto g? I am going to be using cricket, is it safe to assume when ATT does the OTA update phones on the cricket network will get it at same time (They use ATT towers)?

8. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

If the phone is from AT&T/Cricket you should get it around the same time people on AT&T receive Lollipop, yes.

A release date has not been announced yet.

9. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert

10. My G is working so well, other than the fact voice dialing is essentially worthless, that I don't know as I want an OS upgrade.

11. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

I'd agree with WirelessWanderer but for the fact that the security is much enhanced in Lollipop (SELinux in strict mode for starters). I've updated my 2012 N7 to Lollipop, and after a factory reset it's running better than with KitKat 4.4.4

12. nx1977

nx1977 Android Expert

Is there any idea when Lollipop will land for the Moto G?

Last thing I saw was a mention on one of the blogs I follow of 5th December.

Assuming this will slide after Google pulling the OTA for Nexus devices?

13. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

I've heard Brazil has gotten the Lollipop soak test, but I haven't seen an official release date yet for the Moto G.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) release date is unknown..Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown.
Release Date
Reviews