1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

will the Nexus S be edge only once the merger is complete? How long will Nexus S have 3G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CaliforniaMan, Mar 30, 2011.

1. CaliforniaMan

CaliforniaMan Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Since att is Buying T-Mobile, will the Nexus S be edge only once the merger is complete? Since att wants to vacate the 1700Mhz band and use it for LTE? How long do you think The Nexus S will continue to have 3G?

Advertisement

2. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    It's not entirely certain how things will play out when (IF) the buyout goes though. It is extremely likely, though, that most T-Mobile devices will no longer work on 3G/4G (some models of the Vibrant and the upcoming G2x will work on 3G after the buyout).

Now, even if the buyout goes through, the cannibalization of T-Mobile's 1700MHz network won't happen immediately. Most likely, we'll still be getting T-Mobile 3G/4G for the next 12-18 months.

AT&T has stated that once the transition is underway, affected users will receive free "upgrades" to new devices (I put it in quotes because I've been through that process with AT&T before, and going from an HTC Hero to some crappy Pantech messaging phone isn't what I consider an upgrade).

3. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    im actually hearing they will be compatible phones to what you have at the time and im also hearing price for plans and data will be dropping and Ralph DeLaVega said the same thing in the WSJ today

4. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    Price drops is HUGE rumor. From what I've seen, it's just talk to try to appease the FCC and all the bad mouthing about the buyout.

And as I've mentioned, I've been through AT&T's "upgrade" process before when they re-purposed 2G towers in my area. I had a 2G smartphone that would no longer be able to get data on their network, so they said I could trade in my smartphone for a "comparable" device. Well in AT&T land, a smartphone is comparable to a messaging phone.

You can read about my adventure with AT&T here: http://androidforums.com/t/234918-t-forcing-me-upgrade-must-read.html

5. CaliforniaMan

CaliforniaMan Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    I see Best Buy has dropped the price of the T-Mobile NEXUS S to $99
    rumor has it they are not getting anymore T-Mobile Nexus S, so once the current stock is depleted they will not order more from Samsung............................ NEXUS S = Sinking SHip?

Google - Nexus S Mobile Phone - Black (T-Mobile) - GT-I9020T=

Tags: