• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the original Half Life be ported to the android?

Hey guys,

The problem with Quake engine based games to be ported to smartphones is not because of how difficult would be the programming, but for how to distribute all the buttons on the screen, for example, in games such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike 1.5 and 1.6, etc... you need to have:

The red ones are needed for Half-Life, and everything for CS.

The movement pad (would replace A,S,D,W)
Shoot 1 (shoot, drop grenades)
Shoot 2 (silencer, burst fire, etc)

Ok, that looks "easy" so far.
But then?

Crouch (Ctrl)
Jump (Space)
Walk (Shift)
Reload (R)
Change weapons (0-9)

Use / Defuse (E)
Flashlight (F)
Graffiti spray (T)
Buy (B)
Equipment (O)
Let's skip the "voicerecord" key

If you wanna play online, you can't avoid these below:
Say (S)
Team Say (U)

Radio talk:
Z
X
C

Change side (M)

Does it sounds like you can distribute easily around 27 buttons on a 3.5" to 4.5" screen? Sounds difficult xd
Without mentioning that you need to save at least 30% or 40% of the screen for aiming.
Or............ just add another pad for it >_>

Oh, almost forgot.... what about the radar? (in CS case) you need to add that hahaha :p

Have i answered your question about porting HL engine based games to smartphones? :D

Bye.

Mariano.

P.D: I will be creating, how the screen would look like, for a game like Half-Life 1.

why not? if i almost finished quake 2 on android, controls are not much problem, and its same engine as in HL 1

Upvote 0
hey guys. this is the first time i've posted in a forum, ever.

but in regards to half life on android, i have an xperia play and after a long time mapping the key on the quake4droid application and customising the keys on the game it self i think i have it sorted. turning and everything. apart from i cant seem to get the 'use item' button mapped.(on the pc version its 'E') and if i open hackers keyboard during the game it freezers until i press the menu button. all i want to do is have a button for 'E'

and suggestions???

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd have to say I also disagree, I prefer gamepads over mouse and keyboard. Never understood what the fascination with having to hit 30 spaced out keys and use a mouse was about, I have all the same control in the palm of my hands with my gamepad. I used XPadder for my 360 controller to play COD4 on my PC and I beat the pants off all those people on there.

But, to each his own I guess, I prefer the consoles over pc for a more social interaction with friends.

That's funny. I play ArmA 2 with my clan. We use teamspeak 3 and the ACRE radio mod. We have a full platoon of ~50 people with four squads and a flight crew. Everybody knows everybody and works as a team. That's social interaction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones