1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will the Razr Maxx get the Jelly Bean update??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DarrenMaxx, Aug 10, 2012.

1. DarrenMaxx

DarrenMaxx Lurker

Hey guys,
    What do u think, Will we be seeing an Jelly Bean update for Droid Razr Maxx or is ICS it??? Would Motorola release an update?

:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. pcgamer

pcgamer Android Enthusiast

Not sure, but this should probably be in the razr forums... Probably will though

3. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert

It seems like we have a post like this everyday now..

Sharondippity likes this.
  4. carracerz14

5. CooperLA1

CooperLA1 Member

true, but we can hope right??

6. Kabeeo

Kabeeo Lurker

My guess is no. I think Verizon is going to think that we already got one upgrade to ICS and that we should be happy. Want another upgrade? Get another phone! That seems to be their MO.

7. narayanan9190

narayanan9190 Android Enthusiast

who is verizon to decide whether we get the jelly bean or not ?
    does it run moto ?

8. inkdesigner

inkdesigner Member

No, VZW does not run Moto, but in the US it is in charge of approving what OS version is approved for the phone that they sell (in this case a Moto Droid RAZR MAXX). Since it is "their" phone, they are the ones that approve ALL OS updates for their phones. However, they will have no control on whether or not JB is pushed out to the international versions of the RAZR and RAZR MAXX.

While I am fairly sure Moto with make JB for the Droid RAZR MAXX, it does not mean it will get pushed to that phone by VZW. VZW will put it through their testing and evaluation process after all of their own bloatware is baked in. If, and only if, it passes their testing will VZW push a version of JB to the Droid RAZR MAXX.

9. narayanan9190

isnt that bad ? What about the unlocked devices in the USA ? Does it not look like VZW has indirect control over our Razr's ?

10. carracerz14

Verizon is on control of what we get. Motorola just develops it. My guess is we will see it after the droid hd is released

11. inkdesigner

inkdesigner Member

Unlocked or not, if it is a VZW device, you will have to wait for VZW to approve of the update and push it out. The only way around this is to root your device and load a JB based ROM on the device yourself. Keep in mind that you will not be able to get good tech support from VZW should you do this and, if by some chance, you brick your device, there is a chance VZW will not honor your warranty.

In short, VZW has control over what OS is deployed on devices that run on their network. They do not have any control on what OS is deployed on Moto RAZR MAXX's that are activated on network's run by other carriers outside the US.

12. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

luckily though RSD will fix any bricked issue :)

13. narayanan9190

Oh ok..i neednt be worried about the tech support that VZW offers, anyway thanks for clearing that up and im kinda hesistant to root my device..but even if i brick it, there are more than a 100 service guys in and around my place itself...so i shall try JB when a good and stable rom comes out

14. inkdesigner

inkdesigner Member

True dat ;)

15. wxman2003

wxman2003 Android Enthusiast

I likely will have a different phone by the time Verizon rolls out the next update. They are so slow rolling any update out and I would bet it won't be out for another year.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews