• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Will the unlocked HTC Desire HD work in India?

hey there, im also in india and getting myself a desire hd soon.

buy the sim free/factory unlocked version from uk and it will work.
it is launching in india(and the rest of asia) sometime in november, but you never know how much they delay it because there is already too less stock for the europe.
initially it will only be available with vodafone but later it will come unlocked and with other carriers too.
vodafone is expected to offer 2gb/month free usage for 6 months with it. you can avail this offer even if you bring an unlocked version from the uk as to avail this offer you only have to send an sms from your desire hd.

the price will be about 29k rupees for the desire hd and 27k rupees for desire z.

some good websites to get desire hd to india are expansys.com, handtec.co.uk.
on both the websites you can buy the phone for about 435gbp including 3-5 day shipping to india by dhl/fedex/ups.
on handtec, you can also choose to save about 20gbp if you choose royal mail which takes 10-12 days to deliver once shipped.
about the customs duty, dont worry much, if you order by royal mail you wont have to pay a single rupee for the duty or tax and if you order by dhl etc. you will end up paying hardly 2k-2.5k rupees for duty. mobile phones for non commercial usage are greatly discounted from customs as such you may end up paying zero duty even by courier.

im getting the phone from handtec and choosing courier shipping.

Upvote 0

buy the sim free/factory unlocked version from uk and it will work.
it is launching in india(and the rest of asia) sometime in november, but you never know how much they delay it because there is already too less stock for the europe.
initially it will only be available with vodafone but later it will come unlocked and with other carriers too.
vodafone is expected to offer 2gb/month free usage for 6 months with it. you can avail this offer even if you bring an unlocked version from the uk as to avail this offer you only have to send an sms from your desire hd.

the price will be about 29k rupees for the desire hd and 27k rupees for desire z.

some good websites to get desire hd to india are expansys.com, handtec.co.uk.
on both the websites you can buy the phone for about 435gbp including 3-5 day shipping to india by dhl/fedex/ups.
on handtec, you can also choose to save about 20gbp if you choose royal mail which takes 10-12 days to deliver once shipped.
about the customs duty, dont worry much, if you order by royal mail you wont have to pay a single rupee for the duty or tax and if you order by dhl etc. you will end up paying hardly 2k-2.5k rupees for duty. mobile phones for non commercial usage are greatly discounted from customs as such you may end up paying zero duty even by courier.

im getting the phone from handtec and choosing courier shipping.

hey do share ur experience when you do order from UK, how much you paid and how many days it took to be here ...

btw any news of it being available in grey market in india for now ?

Upvote 0
not available in palika bazaar here but a few litsings were there on ebay india, it was going for min 40k and max 70k lol
the 70k listing came before 25oct, the time when it wasnt there anywhere in the world expect netherlands

I dont trust ebay india anyways...so did you order from a uk seller already ? can you give its details if you did

and any source by when can we expect it officially in india

Upvote 0
hmm I saw the handtec.co.uk site, but it says they dont have it in stock, they taking pre orders...when did you place the order and how much time they said it will actually be delivered to india...I believe you from new delhi

they had got their first stock on 28 october i think then second on 2nd nov. till then they shipped all orders till placed on or before 13th october. mine will (hopefully) be shipped in the next restock on 15th nov

Upvote 0
they say 5-7 days but expect it in under 4 days :)
yes me from delhi

thats wonderful if they gonna send to you in 5-7 days...do post here after you get the delivery

for now they said its out of stock on their website...so you ordered way back when they had it ?

well...if you do get it in 5-7- days, I am planning to order it same say :)

will wait for ur feedback and overall experience...

Upvote 0
they had got their first stock on 28 october i think then second on 2nd nov. till then they shipped all orders till placed on or before 13th october. mine will (hopefully) be shipped in the next restock on 15th nov

hi.. i'm planning to buy a htc desire hd from handtec.co.uk ..are you sure that the customs charges wont be more than 2k-3k ?..btw i'm from Pune.
icon7.gif

Upvote 0
strangely, HTC announced that in Nov 2010 desire hd and z will be made available in asia, but its no where available, neither in singapore, hong kong, malaysia etc and ofcourse not in india

The DHD is not available anywhere.. let alone Asia... even Europe has a dearth of handsets.. all the sites sellin it in the US too don't have it.. they're jus takin orders and puttin customers on hold...
Maybe HTC is unable to meet the huge demand or maybe they are havin some problems manufacturin it.. scarcity of parts or smthng... maybe its just to create a marketing hype.. we can only speculate...
The DHD is not available in the grey markets even in mumbai..

hi.. i'm planning to buy a htc desire hd from handtec.co.uk ..are you sure that the customs charges wont be more than 2k-3k ?..btw i'm from Pune.
icon7.gif

there are no customs charges when u get the handset from any UK/US based website.. they will charge you the delivery charges..
usually as far as i have seen they offer 2 kinds of delivery..
Fedex/UPS (delivery in 1-5 working days) will cost u arnd 30gbp..
Royal mail (delivery in 3-7 working days) will cost u arnd 24gbp..
However, considering the shortage of supply it won't matter which of these u choose.. u will have to wait until they have enough devices to fulfil their previous orders and den deliver to u... they will say 5-7 days but i guess u will have to wait atleast a month from the day u order..

nyc to hear atleast sm1's gettin it soon :) congrats...
could u tell me where did u get the tarriff info of vodafone.. if they have published such info over the net den v cn say dat the launch of d handset is nt too far.. den v can assume dat the major cause of delay maybe d shortage of devices worldwide..

frankly, HTC is just puttin off a lot of potential customers not only in India bt everywhere with such a poor supply.. hope the pull up their socks soon and make up for the damage already done...

Reactions: Btrivedi
Upvote 0
vodafone and others in india do it with every phone such as iphone or desire or desire hd hd2 etc etc that they offer some free data usage so i was supposing that same will be with DHD.
the handtec 15nov restock has been delayed to 22nov, and till now they have covered only orders till 13 october so i dont think its going to ship on 22 nov :( thats why im considering canceling my order and buying a samsung galaxy tab instead which is also already available officially for 36.5k(street price) with 6k worth of goodies free! and if i order from handtec it will cost about 30k with no free stuff so its better to buy from india itself because of warranty. you also get mapmyindia free navigation here.

regarding htc desire hd, its everywhere here now in delhi, not officially but at grey markets and some local shops too like 't-mobile' (lol) in select city walk, saket, same shop in ansal plaza south ex etc. but no where its cheaper than 45k which indeed is a rip off compared to handtec price of 27k.

giving a final thought to galaxy tab then deciding P:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones