• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will there be a keyboard?

My buddy has 4G slide on T-Mobile... which is actually over 1mm smaller in thickness, AND has a QWERTY, compared to the Evo 3D. Seems like best of both worlds, unless you are really worried about it breaking. I can understand if you are extraordinarily, beyond reason, rough on your devices for that to be a concern.

Upvote 0
If the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy S 2 has a keyboard I'm definitely not getting it. I used to feel the opposite, until I realized how fat and ugly all the phones with keyboards are. Also, after typing exclusively with a touch screen, the thought of using a physical keyboard seems so slow. The ability to lightly touch a key (touchscreen) instead of physically pushing it (keyboard) makes it so much easier and faster to text.

Upvote 0
Well that's lame then. That was one of the best points of the Epic. Why would they leave it out this time. The Epic 2 sounds like nothing but a souped up version of the Epic. Definitely not worth an entirely new phone.
Sprint changed the name of the Samsung Galaxy S2 again, to "Epic Touch" from "Within" because it has a touch screen. Hopefully the next version, "Epic 2" will have a slide-out keyboard. Or, you can get the HP Pre3 with slide-out QWERTY keyboard, 1.4 GHZ processor, 3.6" screen, dual cameras, 8GB/16GB, and more. Peace.

Upvote 0
If the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy S 2 has a keyboard I'm definitely not getting it. I used to feel the opposite, until I realized how fat and ugly all the phones with keyboards are. Also, after typing exclusively with a touch screen, the thought of using a physical keyboard seems so slow. The ability to lightly touch a key (touchscreen) instead of physically pushing it (keyboard) makes it so much easier and faster to text.

I'd love to see a side-by-side test with accuracy (no autocorrection enabled,) to see which way is faster.

I have the Epic and NEVER use the keyboard. Swiftkey X makes it so much faster to go with the virtual one, that having a keyboard isn't a benefit now for me(even though I bought the Epic with one of the main reasons being the keyboard).

The main things that bother me about a virtual keyboard are that 1) they take up either 50% or 100% of the screen, depending on orientation, and 2) you can't feel the keys, which pretty much requires you to look down, and to pray that autocorrect works when you aren't looking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones