• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Will these chargers work?

trach

Nov 17, 2010
When I plug my usb charger cable into my laptop, it barely charges.. it would take ten hours to charge. when i plug it into a wall outlet it charges really fast, 60 minutes and i'm back to 100%. I read somewhere that it has to do with usb pins and 500ma vs 1000ma.. bottom line, if i buy these wall and car chargers will they charge in 60 minutes or 10 hours? :) thanks!

Car+Wall Charger+USB Cable for HTC Desire - eBay (item 260596737722 end time Nov-29-10 14:05:25 PST)

When I plug my usb charger cable into my laptop, it barely charges.. it would take ten hours to charge. when i plug it into a wall outlet it charges really fast, 60 minutes and i'm back to 100%. I read somewhere that it has to do with usb pins and 500ma vs 1000ma.. bottom line, if i buy these wall and car chargers will they charge in 60 minutes or 10 hours?
When you plug in a USB charge cable, make sure it's a full powered port. Many laptops have several USB ports, but on most only one port is fully powered with 500mA output - usually the one beside or near the power input. The other ports are for data transfer and may not have full power output, hence the slow charging rate. Desktop computers usually have all of the USB ports at full power, but not necessarily all of them, especially the front ports. Try different ports and see how it charges.

For the car, I bought a generic car charger from Walmart for about $12 with a micro-USB connector for my Desire, and it charges quickly. It's in a red package and is rather plain, but it has a red LED to show it has power, and it works fine for 2 HTC phones and a generic MP3 player. There are several generic chargers at Walmart, so make sure you get one with a MICRO plug that fits the Desire.

Upvote 0
When I plug my usb charger cable into my laptop, it barely charges.. it would take ten hours to charge. when i plug it into a wall outlet it charges really fast, 60 minutes and i'm back to 100%. I read somewhere that it has to do with usb pins and 500ma vs 1000ma.. bottom line, if i buy these wall and car chargers will they charge in 60 minutes or 10 hours? :) thanks!

Car+Wall Charger+USB Cable for HTC Desire - eBay (item 260596737722 end time Nov-29-10 14:05:25 PST)

The phone detects that a charger is not a usb port if the middle pins are shorted. The charger should handle it internally. Not worth fiddling yourself.

That wall charger is rated at 600ma. Barely any better than a USB port. Car charger is unlikely to be any better. Get the genuine HTC charger. You know it make sense :)

When you plug in a USB charge cable, make sure it's a full powered port. Many laptops have several USB ports, but on most only one port is fully powered with 500mA output - usually the one beside or near the power input.

Really :eek: I never knew this. Think I'll check the specs for my laptops.

ETA; helpfully the manufacturers don't seem to tell you this info. Is there a Android Ammeter app? :D

Upvote 0
so i need to look for chargers rated to 1000ma and i'm good to go?

unfortunately not. even if the charger is rated at 1000ma if pins 2 and 3 are not shorted the phone will think it is a USB port and throttle the current to 500ma.
You can tell this is happening becasue the charging status in the settings/about the phone/ battery section will say charging (usb) as opposed to charging(AC).
Also standard (cheap) USB cables are sometimes not up to 1000ma. Like the wise man said above get the real thing HTC CC c200 (

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones