• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

will they ever be a nexus phone with a keyboard?

I think a small portion of consumers want a physical keyboard over the touch screen keyboard. If Google wants to build a general purpose phone for a general purpose audience, they will make one without a physical keyboard. There will still be people who prefer physical keyboards, but I think Google will let other manufacturers make those for that smaller market segment.

Upvote 0
I think a small portion of consumers want a physical keyboard over the touch screen keyboard. If Google wants to build a general purpose phone for a general purpose audience, they will make one without a physical keyboard. There will still be people who prefer physical keyboards, but I think Google will let other manufacturers make those for that smaller market segment.

Was there a survey that convince these phone makers that nobody wants a keyboard? Are sales for keyboard less phone that much better than keyboard equip phone? I don't get how any one would mind a better way to type for the sake of the phone being just a ity bity thinner. :thinking:

Upvote 0
yea G2/Desire Z....

OP makes me think you have AT&T since we are the only company with no respectable andoid that sports a physical keyboard. You can buy a HTC Desire Z with AT&T 3G frequencies. But there are versions that dont have it so be careful. If you dont mind being a little outdated, there is always the Milestone.

No Im with verizon and I have to droid 2.

Upvote 0
Was there a survey that convince these phone makers that nobody wants a keyboard? Are sales for keyboard less phone that much better than keyboard equip phone? I don't get how any one would mind a better way to type for the sake of the phone being just a ity bity thinner. :thinking:

If sales are lower, I can tell you its not because nobody wants them, its because the manufaturers only want to make keyboard phones with low specs and features, or totally miss the point.. I used to have the LG ally, not because it was cheap, but because it was the only phone verizon offered with a real keyboard, and real face buttons(none of that capacative button substitute crap.) Problem is, it had only 600 mhz. Once t mobile released the sidekick 4g, with its awesome keyboard and real buttons, I actually paid the cancellation fee to switch.

The only high-spec phones you can find right now with a keyboard are the Droid, Cliq, and Epic. And all three have the same foolish design flub: they have capacative spots instead of face buttons. That might be passable on a phone designed for people who like touch only, but if you put it on a phone designed for people who prefer buttons, you've missed the point.

Upvote 0
No there won't. The Nexus line pushes technology forward, not backward.
Personal preference for a physical keyboard has nothing to do with "forward" or "backward".

The Nexus phones only target a specific type of user that is already a minority (despite how they perceive themselves on forum sites). Making a physical keyboard variant means that a device that already has limited appeal has further limited appeal. Anything's possible but I wouldn't expect to see such a device. If you really want an answer you'd have to ask Google. They determine what devices end up with the Nexus brand.

Was there a survey that convince these phone makers that nobody wants a keyboard? Are sales for keyboard less phone that much better than keyboard equip phone?
Take a look at existing sales figures. A survey would be needed for the opposite, actually.

I don't get how any one would mind a better way to type for the sake of the phone being just a ity bity thinner. :thinking:
You'll be confused any time you assume that your preferences are universal and the masses don't agree with your preferences. I prefer good physical keyboards (i.e. NOT the keyboard on my Droid) but I don't assume that everyone else does.

If sales are lower, I can tell you its not because nobody wants them, its because the manufaturers only want to make keyboard phones with low specs and features, or totally miss the point.. I used to have the LG ally, not because it was cheap, but because it was the only phone verizon offered with a real keyboard, and real face buttons(none of that capacative button substitute crap.)
You shot your own assertion in the first sentence in the foot. I mean, you say:

"If sales are lower, I can tell you its not because nobody wants them"

Yet you also point out that you bought a device with a keyboard only because of the keyboard. If people really want a keyboard they'll get one as you yourself stated. It's either a priority and the customer buys a device with a physical keyboard or it isn't and the customer compromises, buying a device without a physical keyboard.

Upvote 0

I would expect that if you design a phone to have a keyboard, you need to compromise on other things. A physical keyboard requires either realestate on the phone face (like BlackBerrys) or a mechanism to extend and retract the keyboard (like the Desire Z). It also requires additional mass and moving parts for the keyboard itself. All this increases the cost of the phone, so other parts like camera, screen, storage, CPU, battery may need to be compromised a bit to keep the price reasonable.

After using the screen keyboard on my Desire Z occasionally, I think I can get used to not having a physical keyboard. When it is time to upgrade my phone, I may not necessarily choose one with a keyboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones