• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help will this erase my flash????

ok so i have an htc evo 4g that is flashed to page plus's service! i keep receiving notifications telling me to update my software! will updating my software delete the flash to page plus?
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!
moved you to the evo 4g support and trouble shoot section.

do you know if the phone is rooted? power the phone off then press and hold power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader screen. if you could post what it says there then we can help you better, once we have that info.

for now we will keep it here in this forum, until we know if you are rooted or not. most phones that get flashed to other carriers usually needs to have a rooted phone.....some do not (i believe).

Upvote 0
im sorry for all the questions but however i am new to this stuff, will that brick my phone?

no worries about the questions....LOL

and as far as bricking your phone.....i would never suggest something that could brick your phone without warning. it is really hard to brick your phone so i would not worry about it.

just report back what you see in the bootloader screen and we can point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
this wont delete anything will it?

no....LOL

fastboot is just a setting that htc added with gingerbread so that you can quickly power the phone on. it really does not power the phone off...just kind of goes into sleep mode. to fully power the phone off you need to disable fastboot. i always have fastboot unchecked......(kind of a dumb feature if you ask me).

and going into the bootloader is harmless as well.

do not worry.....i'll let you know if something bad will happen;)

Upvote 0
thank you :) and i am on bootload it says ***l0cked(00w)** at the very top

ok so you are correct in that you are not rooted as you have a locked bootlaoder. so the ota should be fine by accepting it. the only thing that i can't be sure is if your flash will stick as the ota will contain new radios.

for now i would not accept it, until you get confirmation that it will not mess with your flashed phone. so i would go into settings>software update>uncheck the option to check for updates. now you should not get the message that you have an update.

once you get confirmation that it will be fine then you can go back and accept the ota.

maybe ask the place where you got your phone flashed and ask them about the ota. they should know.

Reactions: Htc phone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones