1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will Update to 2.3.5 break root access?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dragon84, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dragon84

dragon84 Newbie

Hello, im currently on 2.3.3 on my HTC Desire HD and i read that 2.3.5 is currently being rolled out. I have used the Advanced Ace Hack to root my phone. So if i do update to 2.3.5 will it break my root access? The phone is currently s-off.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert

It will do but trying to upgrade if you've changed recovery image to clockwork or 4EXT won't work. You'll need to use the equivalent RUU for the versions being upgraded otherwise you won't be able to use or receive the OTA update properly.

Let us know the state of your phone beyond root. Got Radio S-OFF, ENG S-OFF, which Recovery your using, SUPERCID, Custom ROM??

3. dragon84

dragon84 Newbie

Hi stublake13, thanks for the quick reply. All i done was just ran the Advanced Ace Hack and that is all. No custom rom installed since i only wanted to remove the annoying startup chime, remove system apps (teeter and soundhound) and wanted to do a nand backup (using rom manager). I believe the recovery being used is clockworkmod.

4. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert

Right with clockworkmod installed as your recovery the OTA update will not work.

Go to MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE and let me know the software number and I'll locate the RUU you need and I'll link the relevant step by step guide to using it. Like I say though you will lose root and you'll regain the apps removed but your backup will be useless until you root and put clockwork back on.

5. dragon84

dragon84 Newbie

Thanks here are my phone version

Android version

HTC Sense Version

Build Number

Software Number:

6. dragon84

dragon84 Newbie

btw if i install the updated RUU in will it:

-factory restore
    -possible to use gingerbreak to restore root

Also is there a place for me to find updated RUUs. Not too sure but there are issues with this new update like car panel issue/incoming call issue and how to i tell which version i need?

thx

7. ProfMerlin

ProfMerlin Lurker

Hi guys.

Sorry to use this thread, but I pretty much have the same question. I am from south africa and I saw the OTA update last night. Too scared to just do it yet.

As the thread says, will it break root? If it does, can I reroot it again.

I also used the Ace hack.

Phone details are:
    Android 2.3.3
    Kernal 2.6.35.10
    Software 2.36.421.10
    Phone is also S-off with the stock firmware.

EDIT: I see now I am running clockwork

Thank you

8. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

By running the AAHK, it puts the custom recovery ClockworkMod on your phone. As such, this will mean that you cannot get the OTA update (as per Stu's post above).

You'd need to run the appropriate RUU to get back to being able to have OTA updates.

To be honest... you've done the "hard" part by rooting your phone... why bother with OTA updates... there are custom ROM's that have Sense 3.0 on that are very close to stock, but with performance tweaks.

Running the ruu would put the phone back to an "out of the factory" state (stock ROM, stock recovery)... I am not sure, but believe that you will no longer be rooted... you would however still be S-Off - as far as I am aware, which should mean that you would be able to use Gingerbreak - not 100% on that, as I rooted quite a while back (before Gingerbreak).

There is a list of RUU's in the following thread http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/196270-htc-desire-hd-useful-links-files.html - please note that, although the list is quite good, there may be some gaps in it.

El Presidente likes this.
  9. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert

I'm with you on that D-U-R-X and I'd recommend using ARHD rather than looking to use the OTA updates. I'd also recommend RCMix3D if you want to go further and get Sense 3.5. Seriously I'd just find the latest update RUU and keep it stored in case you ever need to send it back under warranty but ensure before running it you go back to being S-ON to avoid giving them a loophole to avoid the repair.

If you still want help going back to stock let us know.

dragon84 and D-U-R-X like this.
  10. dragon84

dragon84 Newbie

Might as well have a good think b4 going stock then. Might as well ask, how do i know which RUU to use for my phone? is it software/firmware specific or will it work with any? i remember flashing a motorola a925 with a firmware and bricked it (apparently it was firmware specific. i think).

11. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

It depends on your CID (Carrier ID). This can be network specific (branded) or HTC (non branded).

Can't remember the CID for Orange, but the HTC one is something like HTC-001

Basically, if your phone was carrier branded, you're probably looking at using the branded ruu. If you decide to go back to stock for OTA, then we can go into it... if you go for custom ROM's, then you don't need to worry about it.

Let us know if you do need help on it though!

dragon84 likes this.
  12. dragon84

dragon84 Newbie

Sorry just one more question since i was reading about the arhd. It says the CPU is OCed to "CPU up to 1.61 GHz (1.15 GHz by default)", i understand about computer OCing but since this is a phone can this have any effects such as shorten the life of the phone cpu? arhd looks nice and might move to this soon but i wanna know what i am doing and what is happening before i move to this.

Thanks for all the help guys

13. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

No probs... It's fine to OC... it does affect battery life, but at the lower end of the values you said, you should be fine... I think mine's at 1075/1100 (or something) and I don't have any problems.

I don't use Sense based ROM's... I use CyanogenMod7.1 - vanilla android. I have it undervolted, which is good for battery life.

14. dragon84

dragon84 Newbie

ok i might give it a shot if im ready or confident. thx for all the help guys

D-U-R-X likes this.
  15. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

No worries pal!:)

Give us a shout if you have any more questions...

16. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert

Its fine, I've had no adverse side effects so far. If your worried just set a conservative governor in OC Daemon. Or remove the daemon entirely and pop setCPU back on (not compatible together) and set your own values.

17. ProfMerlin

ProfMerlin Lurker

Okay, I have decided to go the other route and go back to stock ruu to do the normal ota.

There is probably threads in here, but cannot find them. Could you guys possibly point me in the corrrect direction? Looks like I have an unbranded dhd, but not sure on the radio stuff etc?

What info do you need?

Thanks

18. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Is your software version 2.36.421.10? That's not unbranded unfortunately, what network are you on as you'll need to run the corresponding RUU for that network.

Also, once back to stock, given your software number, there's no garauntee you'll get the update.

19. ProfMerlin

ProfMerlin Lurker

Hi

Yes it is, Running on Vodacom South Africa, which is part of the vodaphone group.

I have half decided to change my mind and find a custom rom. I was only against the custom roms cause each time you flash, you lose everything. Only realised now you can backup and restore.

Just trying to find a nice rom now and trying to read over the flashing procedure so I do not break anything :D

20. El Presidente

VIP Member

Good stuff, shout if you get stuck. :)

21. ProfMerlin

ProfMerlin Lurker

Okay so I decided on RCMix3d. Just want to make sure on the flashing.

From what I have read, you boot into clock work mod, then wipe the data/do factory reset. Format the /system directory and then chose the option to install flash from zip?

22. El Presidente

VIP Member

Yeah, there are instructions here: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/409619-rcmix-1-3-sense-3-5-a.html#post3372087, but what you're doing is essentially correct. I can even get a script that does the wipes for you if you like?

Have you backed up all your apps with Titanium?

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews