1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Will updating get rid of my root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paulhf, May 1, 2011.

1. paulhf

paulhf Lurker
    None

May 1, 2011
    I heard the new update gets rid of the root, if that is true, is there anyway to not let this happen? Sorry I'm new to android phones and this whole rooting thing

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    if you mean a OTA,there are a couple things you can do. if you mean flashing the new leaked RUU,it depends wich one you want to use. there is one that will preserve your root access and custom recovery,and one that wont.

developers will typically get hold of leaked RUUs before they hit the airwaves and are pushed to phones via an OTA. they will package up different variations of the changes. someone will undoubtedly whip up a stock,debloated rom witht he updates that can be flashed in recovery. someone may package up only the changes to flash over a stock rom in recovery.

what you see most often is that our favorite rom developers stay on top of it,and incorporate the chagnes and firmware versions into their custom roms.

so the best thing you can do to prevent an ota notification,is to pay attention to your rom developers thread and update your rom when he incorporates changes. by staying with the most current firmware number(or higher as is the case with 2.3 roms :eek:) your phone will likely never even realize that OTAs are out there for its lesser equipped friends,and thus never hound you to update.

it also should be noted that clockwork will not actually install the OTAs. you would have to flash a stock recovery image to even consider applying an OTA update.

so trying to stay on an old firmware based custom rom,or rooted stock rom wont take away your root,but you will likely be nagged with constant requests to update.

hope that helps :)

BDBMike and Chrizzl3 like this.