1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Will using a 2A charger damage my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Kookas, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Kookas

Kookas Well-Known Member

I have an external battery from PowerGen that has two ports. One outputs just 0.6A, which charges very slowly, and the other does 2A, which can do 0-100 in under 90 minutes.

Will that last one damage my phone? I've heard that the other amp simply won't be pulled, but then I've also seen arguments that that extra amp will cause enough heat to cause damage.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

The phone decide the amperes of its charging current ... the supply just has to be able to deliver it.

Use the 2A output, your phone won't take more than 1A :)

Harry

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Not sure where Harry gets his information on the phone tech, but I always based charging on what I learned, and from what I got from asking my mom (an electrical engineer). The phone itself won't be damaged, but the battery can.

Typically, commercially available batteries are rated at 1Coulomb, which means that a 1000mah battery draining at will provide a current of 1000mah for one hour. This known as a C-rate. So for a 1000mah battery, a C-rate of 0.7 is 700mah (as an example). The safe charge rate for any battery is always at 1C, and never below 0.3C. You can only use a charger with a rating of above 1C if your battery specifically says it is compatible with ultra-fast chargers (beyond 1C rating).

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

There's a chip built-into the battery that regulates charging. Shouldn't cause a problem.

5. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

Well, this is important knowledge about batteries if one would want to develope a charger.

But a phone's battery is protected with its charging controller.
    The charging controller won't let flow a current that would be dangerous for the battery.

Harry

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, I can't say for older phones, but I know for a fact Sony's batteries are safe for Ultra Fast charging at 10Cs.