• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Verizon activate my phone purchased elsewhere?

csci1000

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
Thing is....I am moving to verizon only area so I must go with one of verizon smartphones..however I am not comfortable signing 2 year contract at all with them...If I buy phone off of ebay (like droidx or incredible),
Q: will verizon give me service? OR will I need new contract for it?
I am totally new to verizon, never had their service, so brand new customer like me, will they require me to sign contract???? I want to make sure before I purchase phone and waste money etc..

please advice!

If you buy a phone at retail or if you buy a phone off ebay, craigslist, or already have a verizon phone with a clean ESN # you won't need to sign a contract. The contract helps them make their money back when giving you a discount on a new phone. I added 2 lines to my account with phones that I already had without a 2 year contract.

Upvote 0
That's what I knew for always...that 2 year helps them get money back for discounted handset price. BUT...
for whatever reason I thought service providers might not be interested in customers like me with my situation...especially with brand new account like mine...I wasn't sure so I had to seek your opinion here.
Thank you so much all...I might sign contract but I would like to wait til this summer new phones (especially 4G) devices and they are almost due any day/week now so :)
...and not experienced with Verizon so being careful before I get stuck anywhere!!!.
thank you again!

Upvote 0
That's what I knew for always...that 2 year helps them get money back for discounted handset price. BUT...
for whatever reason I thought service providers might not be interested in customers like me with my situation...especially with brand new account like mine...I wasn't sure so I had to seek your opinion here.
Thank you so much all...I might sign contract but I would like to wait til this summer new phones (especially 4G) devices and they are almost due any day/week now so :)
...and not experienced with Verizon so being careful before I get stuck anywhere!!!.
thank you again!

Actually I would think they would like you more since your paying the same amount for your service as someone with a subsidized phone. They got your money without having to pay "part" of the phone.:eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones