• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Verizon know I'm tethering?

... all you need to do is go to System settings | Tethering & Mobile Hotspot and turn it on.

I configure using WPA2 PSK and require a password for someone to connect to my phone.

It will drain power very fast. Use it connected to the wall charger to keep ahead of the draining.

(I of course assume you are paying the incremental monthly charge for the Mobile HotSpot.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
You do have to be be careful tethering on an old unlimited plan without the the actual tethering plan. It violates the TOS and Verizon has the right to take away your unlimited data or terminate your service if they desire. They can tell if you tether, but generally don't bother to actually investigate unless you rack up obscene amounts of usage.

Upvote 0
If you only need to tether occasionally, just add the tethering plan when you need it, and cancel it when you don't. They prorate it for only the days you have it. Should be about $0.65/day, so not a big deal if you only need it occasionally. That prevent the TOS violation and takes your unlimited out of jeopardy.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if we could add a mobile hotspot (such as one of the Verizon Jetpacks) to our unlimited data plan (presumably with the additional $20/month it would add) without losing the unlimited data - or would they force us onto a tiered plan?
The jetpack mobile hotspots are viewed as a separate device on your plan and thus get their own data package. Adding one shouldn't affect your unlimited, but you won't be able to give it unlimited either. Since you're unlimited plan is a smartphone plan only, changing that to a jetpack or tablet would probably cause you to lose you're unlimited because the plans "aren't compatible". You're best bet is to add the 30 dollar unlimited plan to a line that has unlimited data and then you're golden.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones