1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by seoultrain, Apr 14, 2010.

?

Insurance for you Incredible?

1. Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

342 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Yes, with SquareTrade

20 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

10 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. No insurance at all.

154 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    Quick question and somewhat related to this thread.

I bought my Incredible off of eBay (should be here tomorrow). If it's defective for any reason (poor call quality, etc.), can I return it to Verizon or would I have to contact the eBay seller? If I have to contact eBay seller, getting the insurance might be a good idea...

Advertisement

2. kspan

kspan Lurker
    None

May 4, 2010
    I bought a SquareTrade warranty. Use LOVEMOM to get 40% off or $40 off.

Life2PointOhh likes this.
  3. mallinj

mallinj Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    Attorney and Blogger
    Detroit
    The person at VZW who explained it to me over the phone said that all smartphones are $90 regardless of model and all dumbphones are $50. Maybe he was mistaken and the prices start at those levels and go up.

4. nbm400

nbm400 Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    St. Louis
    The big difference to me is that SquareTrade does NOT cover a lost phone...

"No Coverage from Loss: There is no coverage against lost or stolen phones. You can always cancel your warranty and receive a refund if that happens."

5. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA

I just called Verizon and got this verified.

For $6/month, you get the phone insured and1year warranty.
    For $8/month, you get the phone insured and 2 year warranty.
    ***Both plans are good for the life of the phone or until you stop paying.

If your phone overheats, stops working, has a programming error, etc, it will be fixed or replaced with a REFURBISHED ONE at no charge under the warranty.

Under both plans, if your phone gets dropped, lost, broken, deformed, eaten, stepped on, they will replace it with a REFURBISHED one for $89.

Personally, I think I'll go with the $6 plan. They'll have a fight on their hands if my phone starts acting up and they tell me it's a manufacturing error. Maybe I dropped it and THAT is why it is acting up???

grindle likes this.
  6. veccster

None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA
    Buying a phone off ebay seems a bit risky to me. Are you sure you are not getting a refurbished unit? You will probably never know I guess.

I would definitely get the insurance.

7. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    Nah, I'm sure it's new. Seller had 100% Positive rating and sells a lot of cell phones on eBay. Description was ""New, Sealed in Box" so I'm not worried about it being refurbished.

Still wondering whether I can take it to Verizon if I have any problems with it...

8. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Burlington, MA
    Here is the comparison i made for XDA, hopefully it will help people choose what they want:

Verizon(Asurion)
    Cost: $192 for 2 years (pro-rated every month)
    Cancellation: whenever
    Deductible: $89
    Coverage: Defect, Damage and lost device.
    Exclusions: Nothing really.

vs.

SquareTrade
    Cost: $144 for 2 years (-$40 with 'lovemom' code) pay upfront
    Cancellation: whenever with remaining charge refunded.
    Deductible: $50
    Coverage: Defect and Damage
    Exclusions: first 30 days.

If you want to save a lot of money, will not destroy it in the first 30 days (wait until after to submit a claim), and are not going to lose it, then SquareTrade wins hands down. (I have chosen ST because its cheaper in cost and deductible and i doubt i'll lose my phone)

Mostly people who are afraid of losing their phone need Asurion.

9. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Burlington, MA
    if its new and sealed, then u will obviously activate it under new plan at verizon so u can choose their insurance, or just get ST.

10. rgr555

rgr555 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    What's to stop someone from faking that they lost their phone, and paying the deductible for a replacement?

Does Verizon deactivate the lost phone permanently or something?

11. YN43Glvr

YN43Glvr Newbie
    None

May 4, 2010
    Plus doesn't Verizon(Asurion) give you a refurb for $89 and SquareTrade gives you a check (- $50 ded) so you can purchase a NEW one?

12. sxshep

sxshep Member
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    When I initially bought my phone, I chose not to get the Asurion insurance from Verizon... But because of a few horror stories I've read online about the screen cracking, the fact that it's so thin and I could see myself dropping it, the posibility of leaving it on a toilet paper dispenser somewhere and losing it, or having to wrestle around with someone at work and getting it damaged when it's on my duty belt, I decided to man up and pay the $8/month for piece of mind.

After I did, I walked out of Verizon and I literally felt my blood pressure go down lol... I only paid $113 for the phone, and for some reason I think Verizon listed me as eligible for an upgrade/renewal in only 6 months instead of 2 years, so I wasn't going to get it... but out of contact it's still a $500 phone, and knowing I have the insurance is a huge weight off my shoulders.

13. bogatyr

bogatyr Newbie
    None

May 6, 2010
    I've always had Asurion on my line, so I still have the cheap $4/mo full coverage (accidents too) and $50 deductible. Well worth it, I broke 3 Motorola Razrs a few years ago, was much nicer than having to buy a new phone without subsidization each time.

14. bogatyr

bogatyr Newbie
    None

May 6, 2010
    I've bought and sold a lot of items on ebay. Many times people don't bother to argue about a product, they won't leave feedback. I've purchased several phones that were "new in seal box" but in fact were not. I still buy items on ebay, but I assume it will come with minor scratches and used... every item has so far (10 pairs of Oakleys, 4 phones, 8 routers).

And I don't bother leaving negative feedback either, since I ignore what they write and use my basic assumption that it is indeed, used.

EDIT: Also if you don't buy it from Verizon, you'll have to return it to where you did buy it (i.e. ebay seller). If you used American Express to pay for it, some of their cards allow you to return merchandise to them up to a certain value if the store won't take it back too.

15. Incredibleguy

Incredibleguy Newbie
    None

May 3, 2010
    One reason I hate Square Trade? They will never ever EVER leave you alone again from their emails. I've unsubscribed 10000 times all to no avail.

16. QrafTee

QrafTee Android Expert
    None

Dumbphones and smartphones have different rates.

17. lmbgm

lmbgm Well-Known Member
    None

May 2, 2010
    I'm certainly no expert, but wouldnt it be covered under your "Personal Property" coverage? I think its usually like 10% of your home. But I believe you would be subject to your deductible first. I think mine is $1000.

18. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    I bought the phone online with Asurion insurance. Where on verizonwireless website do I check to see if that is in effective?

19. jamor

jamor Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Your grammar is a little confusing - but if I understand, you should call Verizon and ask them to be sure. :)

dylo22 likes this.
  20. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    Log into My Verizon and click on "plans" tab at the top and look for WPP ADVANCED DEVICES listed under the features for your line.

dylo22 likes this.
  21. ponchera

ponchera Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Hmm. not sure what to do. I got mine off ebay a day ago due to shortage (found one seller sticking with the 530 price).

Squaretrade asks if its an ebay item. It doesn't give you an option for accidental damage (my main concern). If you go a different route on the site, it warns you that if you purchased through ebay and buy the warranty with that form, it would not be valid.

SOOOO.. Basically I don't know what to get. Since it was ebay purchase, does verizon replace if the phone simply goes bad? Who offers deffective + accdiental + lost phone? Asurian? If only Asurian, how do I get - through verizon?

22. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    The CSR at VW indicated to me that there was no deductible if you opted for the extended ($1.99) and it covered all accessories as well, plus last 24 months. I guess I need to call and double-check coverage.

23. confluence

confluence Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 19, 2010
    this is what i understand:

0.00 = 1 year manufacturer's warranty (covers manufacturer's defects)
    2.00 = extended warranty (extends manufacturer's warranty to 2 years)
    6.00 = asurion (full coverage w/deductible: water, lost, theft, etc.)
    8.00 = asurion + extended warranty (verizon's full coverage, 6+2=8)

if there are any manufacturer's defects, you'd see it within the first year for sure so save yourself the $2.00

the $8 plan has the same exact insurance coverage as the $6. the only difference is that the $8 plan adds the extended warranty which i personally don't think one needs. verizon sales will market the $8 plan as this "special verizon full coverage super duper plan" and that the $6 plan is gives you "less coverage". this is all to get two more clams from ya. they will constantly use the word "coverage" to generalize warranty and insurance.

so yea, it is true that you get less "coverage" with the $6 plan but the only coverage you lose out on is an extra year of the manufacturer's warranty. you do not lose out on the insurance. both plans include the same asurion insurance. the $8 one is just asurion plus the extended warranty.

FierceDeityLink1 likes this.
  24. veccster

None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA
    Not apples for apples...

The $8/month Verizon deal INCLUDES the extended warranty. That is, if your phone becomes "dumb" again, you are covered for up to 2 years (or until you cancel the coverage).

For just $6/month, you get the same insurance but no additional warranty. Of course you still get the 1 year manufacturer warranty. This is total of $144 - the same as Square Trade.

Is the additional 1 year warranty worth $48???????????????????

I'm going Verizon for $6/month. I plan to cancel it 6 months before my "new every 2" because they typically give you promotional pricing a few months in advance. At that point, you'll be able to get a new one for less than the $90 deductible.

Although.....if it breaks in the 15th month, I will still have paid $200 for a refurbished Incredible. Is that even worth it????????????? Probably get it on ebay for much less at that point and activate it for free.

25. crspyjohn

crspyjohn Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Does the squaretrade warranty carry over to the replacement phone or not?