• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Insurance for you Incredible?

• Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

Votes: 342 65.0%
  • Yes, with SquareTrade

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • No insurance at all.

Votes: 154 29.3%

• Total voters
Just thought I'd drop my .02.

In '08 my chocolate's touch crapped out and I made a claim on my Assurion policy. Within a couple days I had a new (most likely refurbished) Chocolate, battery, charger, manual, and a box to return mine in, postage paid. I did emphasize that my phone was useless, and was in a hurry to have a working phone again. I took the phones in to my local VZW store, had it activated and numbers transferred, and returned my phone. I had heard horror stories about making phone insurance claims, but I got the complete opposite.
BTW, I couldn't warranty it b/c the moisture from my sweaty hands had tripped the moisture detector.

I take great care of my phones, but I will definitely be keeping my insurance when I get my Incredible.

Upvote 0
People - instead of sending $6 a month of your money to an insurance company (in which case there is probably a 99% chance you will never get a thin dime of it back), why not put that amount in a savings account? That way if something happens to your phone then you will already have money saved up to at least partially cover the cost of a replacement, without ever having to file a claim or pay a deductible. If nothing ever happens then you'll have an extra few hundred bucks sitting around to do with what you want. Just have the $6 (or even $12) automatically sent to your savings each month and you won't even know you're doing it.

Also - I am not planning to sell my current phone (Blackberry curve). I'm going to keep it as a backup in the unlikely event that something does happen to my new one.

Reactions: uncleto
Upvote 0
People - instead of sending $6 a month of your money to an insurance company (in which case there is probably a 99% chance you will never get a thin dime of it back), why not put that amount in a savings account? That way if something happens to your phone then you will already have money saved up to at least partially cover the cost of a replacement, without ever having to file a claim or pay a deductible. If nothing ever happens then you'll have an extra few hundred bucks sitting around to do with what you want. Just have the $6 (or even $12) automatically sent to your savings each month and you won't even know you're doing it.

Also - I am not planning to sell my current phone (Blackberry curve). I'm going to keep it as a backup in the unlikely event that something does happen to my new one.
Well because if I trash the phone within a year, I'll have to buy the phone for $529 (which is probably double or triple the amount I would have saved in my savings). Now it would pay off if nothing negative happens to my phone in the next two years--in which I would win this "transaction." I just don't think that's going to happen though.

Upvote 0

Easier said than done.
Bottom line, If you think you can dish out $500 if you ever loose of break your phone (with the possibility of it never happening, of course), then skip the insurance.

But for a lot of people, it's easier to pay $6 a month and have that security.

Same reason why millions pay minimum payments on their credit card rather than save the money to buy something they want.

It's the way the world works.

That's great,

but if I had to go back to my old phone, i would be miserable lol

Upvote 0
I don't necessarily disagree with anyone who is advocating the insurance - there are valid points in favor of it. Obviously, if you had a crystal ball and saw that your phone would get dropped in the toilet or get run over by a bus after 3 months, then yes it would make more financial sense to get the insurance. Think about it though - by paying $6-$8 per month to an insurance company you are placing a bet that something IS going to happen to your phone before you are eligible to upgrade to another one. The likelihood of you being wrong is far greater than the likelihood of being right, which is the game that insurance companies WANT you to play because they almost always win.

Upvote 0
Think about it though - by paying $6-$8 per month to an insurance company you are placing a bet that something IS going to happen to your phone before you are eligible to upgrade to another one. The likelihood of you being wrong is far greater than the likelihood of being right, which is the game that insurance companies WANT you to play because they almost always win.

Of course, I think we all understand it's a business. But doesn't the same thing apply to ALL insurances?

Why pay for homeowners insurance?... i mean the likely hood of your house going up in flames has to be pretty darn slim.

I realize there's a HUGE difference in what's at stake...
but i hate kicking myself in the butt because i didn't do something to save a few bucks...

Like dog insurance... who would get that? Now i have a dog with epilepsy and THOUSANDS in vet bills.

Upvote 0
I don't necessarily disagree with anyone who is advocating the insurance - there are valid points in favor of it. Obviously, if you had a crystal ball and saw that your phone would get dropped in the toilet or get run over by a bus after 3 months, then yes it would make more financial sense to get the insurance. Think about it though - by paying $6-$8 per month to an insurance company you are placing a bet that something IS going to happen to your phone before you are eligible to upgrade to another one. The likelihood of you being wrong is far greater than the likelihood of being right, which is the game that insurance companies WANT you to play because they almost always win.
In the whole time I've gotten insurance, I've only not had to use it for a few things--Nintendo DS Lite and Wii. I've had to use it for numerous laptops--all have succumb to overheating, printers--bought open box though, and one time I didn't buy insurance on my Moto RIZR, it was lost... *sigh* I had to buy a new cheaper phone to replace it--which sill cost like $170 at the time.

Upvote 0
There's no way I am ever paying $500 for a phone (replacement or not). I can afford it but phone prices are so marked up it is never worth it.

$6/month on the other hand, is almost close to nothing. That's like skipping eating out a meal for the entire month.

This is the first time I will be getting insurance for a phone. I thought I would never need it but after breaking my LG Dare the annoyances of not having a phone replacement is worth the $6 a MONTH charge. Some of you guys are just plain cheap.

Upvote 0
Right now you can buy a Moto Droid or Eris off Craigslist for around $200. Also you could go pick one up within hours of losing-killing your phone. If you subtract the deductible then the "new phone" would only cost ~$100.00. When TEC was $5.99 and the deductible was $50 I thought is might be worth it but no more. If your phone lasts 6 months then used prices will be much lower making insurance even less of a deal.

Upvote 0
well its 90 bucks for each claim and over 2 years you'll be paying 192 bucks for total coverage. that's $282 if you lost your phone. Not really saving much for the chance of your phone breaking or getting lost/stolen. On top of that you get a refurb phone.

I could probably find the phone on ebay for 282 brand new. I don't think it's worth it.

I did get the extended warranty though because that's only 48 bucks and these are the first batch phones.

I'm almost never one to go for accident insurance and extended warranties, but the incredible will be my first smartphone (hell, my first phone requiring out-of-pocket money with contract), and these things aren't the most resilient, nor are they cheap to replace.

So how 'bout it, will you guys be getting Verizon's insurance through Asurion? 3rd-party insurance? No insurance? And why?

Upvote 0
$144 plus the deductible will be more than the Incredible will be worth NIB in two years.

im giving rough numbers here, i can sell it after a year if i want...8months...whatever..i was just giving the worst case scenario and NIB out of contract after two years? not too sure about that...whos to say it doesnt hold its retail value around $300 out of contract?

people that look for phones on CL are usually people that dont want contracts but looking for cheaper alternative

Upvote 0
The T&C for the Asurion insurance says within 30 days of purchase. Better to get it now, than to miss out on the opportunity. You can cancel it at anytime down the road.

I'm pretty sure you can sign up anytime, doesn't have to be within 30 days. What if you buy it on ebay? You can still insure it, since they dont know when you bought it.
However, if you sign up at a later date, you have to wait 30 days before you can make a claim.... which make sense :rolleyes:

$6/month on the other hand, is almost close to nothing. That's like skipping eating out a meal for the entire month.

Yup. And i know the chances are pretty slim, But imagine the savings if you had the bad luck of loosing/breaking your phone twice? Better safe than sorry

Upvote 0
Asurion is a rip, how do you guys not see it!? $6 a month, plus $90 deductible if you have a claim...WOW. If you lose phones every year, then yea it's worth it. If you haven't lost a phone in the last couple years then I think getting the insurance is a waste. Now that $2 a month extended warranty from verizon is probably worth it though.

Upvote 0
Asurion is a rip, how do you guys not see it!? $6 a month, plus $90 deductible if you have a claim...WOW. If you lose phones every year, then yea it's worth it. If you haven't lost a phone in the last couple years then I think getting the insurance is a waste. Now that $2 a month extended warranty from verizon is probably worth it though.

I think the point is most people dont mind paying an extra $6 on an alreday large bill. Dont even feel it.
So the only thing I take into account when deciding if I'm getting insurance is the deductible. And i would rather pay $90 than full price.

Now if you're the kind of person that adds up every six dollars and figures how much it would be in a year and blah blah blah... then yes... probably seems like a rip off.

In my case, one way or another i would spend those six bucks... probably in a gas station on pretzels and a slurpee while my tank if getting filled up... so it doesnt hurt me to pay those $6 for insurance.

Upvote 0
Well if you break your phone and have to buy a whole new one for $529 instead of $90... I mean c'mon.
$6 x 24 (assuming you'll pay the whole 2-years down the line) = $144 + $90 = $234 and then you can break/lose it 3 more times and it would still be cheaper than buying a whole new phone once.

Upvote 0
Well if you break your phone and have to buy a whole new one for $529 instead of $90... I mean c'mon.
$6 x 24 (assuming you'll pay the whole 2-years down the line) = $144 + $90 = $234 and then you can break/lose it 3 more times and it would still be cheaper than buying a whole new phone once.

Well, you're limited to 2.... but i agree with your reasoning

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones