1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Will you buy your Evo 3D subsidized or outright?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lefort1, May 22, 2011.

?

How will you purchase your Evo 3D?

1. 2yr subsidized at $199

63 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. $499...forget contracts!

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Lefort1

Lefort1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Now that prices have leaked, will you buy into a 2yr contract for $199 or $499 outright for the Evo 3D?

Advertisement

2. alcohol

alcohol Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Why would anybody in their right mind buy a CDMA phone off contract?

3. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Maybe because they bought an Evo a year ago and aren't eligible for an upgrade for another year?

4. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    A few reason, 1st you dont have to sign up for 2 years, which means you go off contract, which gives you considerable bargaining chip. Secondly, the price difference between the contract price and no contract prices makes it easier just to walk away if you get screwed.

Unless you get the whole 200 dollar discount, it is really pointless to do an upgrade. I personally will buy the phone out right, off contract. Which means if I have a problem with something, they know I can easily walk away and will treat me better for it.

If you are on contract, they really do have you over a barrel.

5. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    Will only qualify for the $75 discount. Not going to extend my contract another 2 years for that measly discount. Who knows what carriers will bring next year. Though, I may attempt a phone call to retentions to grant me the full discount this time around.

6. Emmexx

Emmexx Well-Known Member
    None

May 6, 2011
    Contract for me. I will be jumping from T-mobile, mostly due to the whole AT+T thing, but some signal issues as well. I'll have 30 days to test things. If it doesn't work out, I'll head to Verizon. If it does work out, I'll have a great phone at a great price. Then, I'll keep the phone until quad cores start becoming the norm at around the upgrade time in <2 years.

Given all of that, the contract makes sense for me.

7. banzaiwolfe

banzaiwolfe Newbie
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    I will be renewing my contract for the subsidized price, I've been out of contract since October of last year.

8. drewsg

drewsg Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    Buy it outright

9. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    Been a satisfied Sprint customer for about 10 years. At one point, I switched to VZW to see what the hype was about, but I did not see enough improvement in the network to justify the price hike, nor was I a fan of the plan limitations; so, I (very) quickly switched back to Sprint. Therefore, I have no problem committing to Sprint for another two years. Subsidized EVO 3D for me.

10. MyFishWagon

MyFishWagon Android Enthusiast
    None

Ill be buying it on contract price. I renewed my agreement for the Evo last year on launch day, but being a Sprint Premier Gold member allows me to upgrade at full discount starting June 1st. :cool:

11. fatboislimm

fatboislimm Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    On contract. I've been with Sprint over 10 years and I don't plan on leaving. Best prices, best plans, best phones, why not?

12. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    So you are paying 300 dollars for a "perceived" benefit that doesn't really exist??? I have been off contract since October and they treat me no differently. Now if you want the flexibility to jump carriers I guess I could understand that. But they will treat you no differently.

13. markgbe

markgbe Newbie
    None

May 16, 2011
    one reason.. I am on my company's sprint account. So i will buy off contract so that i own the phone and can sell it at any time.

14. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Well I have to wait pretty long for a full discount seeing as I upgraded to my Evo last October. The off contract price makes more sense to me since I may consider jumping carriers for a better discount in the long run. Not sure if I will sell my current Evo or hand it off to my fiance.

15. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    It appears I will be receiving full discount after all. Call to retentions was beneficial. I guess I will be purchasing on contract.:cool:

16. alcohol

alcohol Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I misunderstood the OP. I figured he had an option to buy it at the subsidized price and was going to choose to buy it without contract.

It makes sense for a GSM phone(i've done it), but not for CDMA wimax device.

17. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    LOL, no they treat me differently.

I have 8 phones on two accounts, unlimited family. I pay about 308 dollars a month total including tax and 2 hotspots, all of them are htc evo's.

Let me see here.

Tell me how I am treated as you are?

Oddball likes this.
  18. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

I did lots of grumpy complaining once they changed the Premiere thingy, so I get the upgrade price for my hard work ;) and this has been verified through Sprint and Radio Shack :)

19. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    I have no idea how you are treated...but enjoy your perceived superiority!!!

20. yourfriendmat

yourfriendmat Well-Known Member
    None

May 13, 2011
    Research Assistant
    We are not worthy! But if you could afford me the graciousness of allowing me to speak in your presence... I think he was trying to say that he doesn't believe that Sprint would treat YOU on contract any differently than they treat YOU off contract, not comparing you to him. How on earth could he even know you enough to make a claim like that?

What will you do with your 8 Evos when you have 8 Evo 3Ds? Put them in your 8 mansions to control the climate remotely? Put them in your 8 corvettes as toys for your 8 children? Perhaps hook them together to make a mobile supercomputer? ;-)

Seriously though, no rudeness or ill will toward you. Just being funny :)

<3

21. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    When you are off-contract, you DO have way more leverage with Sprint. Take the airave for example. If you're fresh into a 2-year contract, and you have bad reception in your new house/apt, you can ask Sprint for an airave. They will be less inclined to give it to you for free because they know you can't just leave (ETF). But if you're off contract, you can threaten to jump ship right then and there. And then they will give you the airave for free.

I speak from personal experience. In 2007, I was off contract, and I got the original airave for free after I threatened to leave (why should I pay more $$ just to get basic air coverage?). Now that I'm in the middle of my 2-year contract, they refuse to give me the new airave, even though I'm using the same argument. To Sprint's credit, they offered me $50 off. But I'm pretty sure it will be 100% off if I had the leverage to just terminate my account.

22. Cashprizes

Cashprizes Newbie
    None

May 19, 2011
    Im doing the $199 w/ contract. It's totally awesome because June is when I can renew and get the credit, perfect timing! Got a LG Rumor 2 years ago, and its a decent "phone" and is good for texting. But I am ready to move on to a multimedia device, and it looks like the Evo is the best piece of hardware out there.

Also I cant imagine I could bilk $300 out of Sprint customer reps over 2 years to justify not going with contract. I understand some people just don't like to be tied down, but Sprint has always been quality service for me. Their pricing schemes suck at times, but I am sure Verizon and T-Mobile are no different, and I doubt I am paying $300 more with sprint than I would with the other guys.

23. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    The real question is the ETF more than $300(the difference between full price and subsidized)??? I ask that ignorantly because I really don't know. If it is $300 or less, then your point and his is totally moot!!!...since you could jump ship and pay the ETF and have that same leverage. I seem to remember it is not more than $300....and it shrinks as times goes on...pro rata....

24. yourfriendmat

None

May 13, 2011
    Research Assistant
    Yeah I can understand this side of it too. I do it with Charter all the time. "Oh, the promotional deal is over? Ok, well I guess I'll use Verizon's deal then. Oh, you can extend it? That would sure be great!" But in this case, I have to agree with a couple other people here and say that the $300 discount you get for signing the contract probably wouldn't be regained by off-contract favors from Sprint.

Now if we're talking freedom to switch to another carrier, I can understand how that might be worth not taking the discount for signing your life away. I like to have the newest/best of things, and I can understand wanting to be able to switch to get it. I, however, love my Sprint service, and I love HTC. So as long as Sprint keeps getting awesome HTC phones every year, I have no desire to switch. :)

25. yourfriendmat

None

May 13, 2011
    Research Assistant
    Yeah I see your point, but I don't think telling Sprint "give me what I want or I'll give you money!" is a good bargaining strategy. Plus, they sort of ban you for, I think, a month. So you can't just sign back up for Sprint service if you end up not liking your new plan.

Tags: