• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will You Upgrade (Evo 3D)

Will you upgrade

• Upgrading to Evo 3D

Votes: 157 33.1%
  • Sticking with Evo 4G

Votes: 214 45.1%
  • On the Fence/Undecided

Votes: 93 19.6%
  • I'll be a first time EVO purchaser

Votes: 10 2.1%

• Total voters
To me its all about the sense. The look and feel is spectacular. More memory and faster processor? Sign me up! My EVO isn't rooted, I'm not worried about bootloaders or any programming aspect of the EVO 3D but I could see how programmers could have different opinions about it. The 3D is a first(i think sprint gets their jollies being first at 4G and now 3D) and will be cool for the first day or two but will fade. Downer is the 5mp camera and no kickstand.....ill get over it. The active lock screen is a cool feature. The settings in the notification bar is a huge plus. Will make day to day use more efficient. The settings menu options are smaller font, again making it faster to select an option. The only other phone I would consider is the EVO 4G+ that was released in south Korea recently. No confirmation that it will be released through Sprint but I would bet anything it will be. So for now if I can get it for waaay less than retail ($599) it will be mine....

Upvote 0
To me its all about the sense. The look and feel is spectacular. More memory and faster processor? Sign me up! My EVO isn't rooted, I'm not worried about bootloaders or any programming aspect of the EVO 3D but I could see how programmers could have different opinions about it. The 3D is a first(i think sprint gets their jollies being first at 4G and now 3D) and will be cool for the first day or two but will fade. Downer is the 5mp camera and no kickstand.....ill get over it. The active lock screen is a cool feature. The settings in the notification bar is a huge plus. Will make day to day use more efficient. The settings menu options are smaller font, again making it faster to select an option. The only other phone I would consider is the EVO 4G+ that was released in south Korea recently. No confirmation that it will be released through Sprint but I would bet anything it will be. So for now if I can get it for waaay less than retail ($599) it will be mine....

You'd bet everything that the EVO 4G+ is going to be released on Sprint? I wouldn't. For maximizing profit margin, it wouldn't really be smart, especially with the HTC Kingdom having already been shown as an upcoming device.

Upvote 0
You'd bet everything that the EVO 4G+ is going to be released on Sprint? I wouldn't. For maximizing profit margin, it wouldn't really be smart, especially with the HTC Kingdom having already been shown as an upcoming device.

Eventually released whatever the name is. Why would it be released in south Korea and not usa? Network differences? Wimax vs LTE? Kingdom has 5mp camera with 720p vid recording. 4G+ is 8MP and 1080p correct?

Upvote 0
Eventually released whatever the name is. Why would it be released in south Korea and not usa? Network differences? Wimax vs LTE? Kingdom has 5mp camera with 720p vid recording. 4G+ is 8MP and 1080p correct?

Evo 4g+ is too close in specs to evo 3d. From a sales perspective, why would sprint want to take away from sales of their flagship phone?

Kingdom is perfect in between phone to offer consumers that don't want the 3d or photon. Do you really think sprint would invest the time and money for the evo plus? I personally don't. Yeah, they would be able to sell that phone, but it's not in their best interest. To you and some consumers that don't like 3d, maybe, but not the majority.

-EDIT- Now, if it were easy to just take out the 3D technology and switch the dual rear camera to single, then that'd be a different story, but I doubt it's as easy as changing out parts to make that happen. On the surface, it may look that way, but internally it's not likely the same situation.

Upvote 0
Evo 4g+ is too close in specs to evo 3d. From a sales perspective, why would sprint want to take away from sales of their flagship phone?
This makes since. It's like releasing the EVO shift right after the EVO. I was just meaning eventually (1 to 2 years) I would bet it will be released as the first 1080p video recording phone, or Mabye its just wishful thinking:D.

Upvote 0
This makes since. It's like releasing the EVO shift right after the EVO. I was just meaning eventually (1 to 2 years) I would bet it will be released as the first 1080p video recording phone, or Mabye its just wishful thinking:D.

Oh, well if we're talking later down the line...for sure there will be something even better than the evo 4g+. Right now, I think the EVO 3D was made to "strike while the iron is hot" because of all the 3D TV's and content that's been released lately. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I'm banking on it staying around longer than it did during the 80's, just because of technology advancements.

I was going to take your bet, but just offer a "gentleman's bet" that the EVO 4G+ wasn't going to be released on Sprint...LOL.

Reactions: weston417
Upvote 0
Yes Buzz Killington style... So will the 4G+ be released on sprint at all? I know that no "official" statement has been made..

I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to make a gentleman's bet that the current EVO 4G+ that is out in Korea will never get to the US...ever...LOL. Like I said, if we're talking about a year or two down the line, I hope that they'll have quad core phones by then, considering how fast it went from 1ghz to dual core, within 1 year.

Upvote 0
Have any popular Android device been released overseas before the USA?

Plenty. Galaxy s series and even before that, htc's windows mobile phones were always released overseas first.

Difference with evo 4g+ is the fact that the 3d is already a comparable phone and korea didn't get the 3d, like europe. That's why they got the evo 4g+

Upvote 0
Got a question. Have a two person family plan with Sprint. My wife and I got or EVO 4G's last July. Was under the impression that we get a full upgrade in 12 months but when I went to the sprint store they said I get a partial upgrade now and full at 22 months.

That sound right?

Depends on the family plan you're paying for. The premiere program changed in April (Split between Silver and Gold premiere), but for those that got the EVO 4G, I know there were many that were given an exception when they called in about the premiere program change. I know that many got an exception to upgrade to the EVO 3D.

There've been a few discussions about it and I believe there are some folks that are upgrading to the Photon 4G that were granted an exception as well, but not sure how long that exception lasts or if it's still available.

I can't remember all the key points to mention, but I'd assume one would be the reason that they signed up for Sprint was due to the 1 year early upgrade program.

Upvote 0
Got a question. Have a two person family plan with Sprint. My wife and I got or EVO 4G's last July. Was under the impression that we get a full upgrade in 12 months but when I went to the sprint store they said I get a partial upgrade now and full at 22 months.

That sound right?

yep sprint changed there plans for premier customers. there is a gold and silver premier plan. here are the faqs:Sprint Premier Gold and Silver | FAQ

Upvote 0
Just switched to the 3D myself (thanks to the benefit of a well timed ad in Craigslist and price $150), I opened it up and activated with no issue.

Still love the EVO, best phone in my life so far, but the few changes on the 3D and apps that are corrected have now made IT the best phone ever in life! :)

Pro:

- New 3D mail client works flawlessly, I had to use Enhanced email on Evo to delete mail from servers correctly. Having a Peak time ability is awesome again

- Voice Search and voice to text stuff is perfect for me again

- Obviously faster in the interface and Sense 3.0 has some great things and looks great, love the lock screen

- 3D looks neat but wasn't any selling point for me

Cons:

- Have to buy a new car dock due to the different location of charger port :(

Upvote 0
of course i wish there was a way to make ours into the new 3D versions simply by updatint them with some new form of software but i think the new 3D ones have dual camera lens or something that makes them do the 3D features. but sure would be cool if we coulid figure out way to make our htc evo 4g ones into the 3 D just by upgrading software wouldnt it. lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones