• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will You Upgrade (Evo 3D)

Will you upgrade

• Upgrading to Evo 3D

Votes: 157 33.1%
  • Sticking with Evo 4G

Votes: 214 45.1%
  • On the Fence/Undecided

Votes: 93 19.6%
  • I'll be a first time EVO purchaser

Votes: 10 2.1%

• Total voters
lol, isn't that for people only on GSM networks? You can't switch between CDMA/GSM.

Yes, so pick this up, throw in a T-Mobile SIM, and you have your EVO that works pretty much everywhere in the world.

It's not worth HTC's time/money/effort to make a true world phone, the only people who buy those in quantities that count are businesses, and businesses still aren't buying a ton of Androids. My world phone is still a POS Blackberry Bold 9650. It handles all of my talk/text while my EVO 4G does everything else any time I'm near wifi. I assume I could install a PDANet-like app on the BB to share it's data to my EVO, but I'd rather just avoid eating up that much International Data anyway.

Upvote 0
Not an apple fan but I read Apple wants to finish knocking out the iphone 4. Meaning, people are still trying to get their hands on an iphone 4 I guess here and in other countries. In order to make more profits, they should complete those orders then roll out the new iphone 5. If not, people will just wait to buy the iphone 5. Apple doesn't want that.

Unless there's a warehouse somewhere stuffed full of iPhone 4s that have gone unsold (unlikely), this doesn't make sense. Tying up your production lines producing the previous gen device vs. the newest doesn't make any sense especially when you know the newest device will need to be produced in massive quantities for launch day. You want people to be on your newest device because you want people to have access to the newer hardware's features that'll lead them to spend money on apps (etc) that don't even work on the previous gen. For example, HTC won't sit idle and not produce the EVO 3D as long as people are still buying the EVO 4G. They want to stop making the 4G soon so they can ramp up production of the 3D and get people to buy that instead. If it's the same price (and subsidized, it probably will be, or at the very most, within $50) why would anyone even want to buy the lower spec'd phone any more? I don't recall people passing up the EVO 4G for the Hero.

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
Unless there's a warehouse somewhere stuffed full of iPhone 4s that have gone unsold (unlikely), this doesn't make sense. Tying up your production lines producing the previous gen device vs. the newest doesn't make any sense especially when you know the newest device will need to be produced in massive quantities for launch day. You want people to be on your newest device because you want people to have access to the newer hardware's features that'll lead them to spend money on apps (etc) that don't even work on the previous gen. For example, HTC won't sit idle and not produce the EVO 3D as long as people are still buying the EVO 4G. They want to stop making the 4G soon so they can ramp up production of the 3D and get people to buy that instead. If it's the same price (and subsidized, it probably will be, or at the very most, within $50) why would anyone even want to buy the lower spec'd phone any more? I don't recall people passing up the EVO 4G for the Hero.

I would assume with the economic situation impacting the world still, people don't have the cash to upgrade to an iphone 5. Once iphone 5 comes out the price of iphone 4 should drop. Lol, and maybe people want that 3.7 inch retina display or something. I was just reading how Apple still has people wanting an iphone 4. I read some place that the iphone 5 will not release in June like other iphones. Speculation said its because Apple is still cranking out the iphone 4 or maybe its because the iphone 5 isn't ready for showtime yet....I don't know.

Upvote 0
I have a sony 3d tv and watching sports in 3d is simply amazing. I was like the rest of you on here saying 3d was a gimmick and not worth it, but my sony hd tv had an issue and it was stilol under warranty and I talked a rep into upgrading me to a 3d tv and it's amazing. The sports are different then watching on regular tv because it is a whole new camera angle and production so you hear different commentators and everything the camera angle is usually right on eye level instead of high above and since not many people have 3d tvs yet the best part about it is there are no commercials during the game because no companies want to spend money advertising during a game in which not many people have the ability to watch.

Trust me if you havent seen a game in 3d everyone of you saying 3d is a gimmick will be doing a 180 and changing their opinions. Now with that being said would I want 3d on a phone? Tough call because I would have to see the phone first and see how they implement te 3d without the use of 3d glasses.

Upvote 0
I have a sony 3d tv and watching sports in 3d is simply amazing. I was like the rest of you on here saying 3d was a gimmick and not worth it, but my sony hd tv had an issue and it was stilol under warranty and I talked a rep into upgrading me to a 3d tv and it's amazing. The sports are different then watching on regular tv because it is a whole new camera angle and production so you hear different commentators and everything the camera angle is usually right on eye level instead of high above and since not many people have 3d tvs yet the best part about it is there are no commercials during the game because no companies want to spend money advertising during a game in which not many people have the ability to watch.

Trust me if you havent seen a game in 3d everyone of you saying 3d is a gimmick will be doing a 180 and changing their opinions. Now with that being said would I want 3d on a phone? Tough call because I would have to see the phone first and see how they implement te 3d without the use of 3d glasses.

I remember when I came from Iraq and they gave me an HD cable box. I was like wow that's a great picture for a few days. Then I just stopped noticing it. Same thing with a 3D TV, its going to wear off at some point because its just a TV. With the economy not bouncing back, I don't think a lot of families who have been foreclosed on have the money to buy a 3D TV. I can tell you most middle class people keep there TVs for quite sometime. Hell, I don't have any flat screens in my home and that's because I'm always deployed so my stuff is in storage most of the time. And I don't think any flat screens would be able to survive the hot/cold temperatures of a storage unit. However, my SONY and HITACHI always work after being pulled out of storage. Oh yeah!

Upvote 0
I remember when I came from Iraq and they gave me an HD cable box. I was like wow that's a great picture for a few days. Then I just stopped noticing it. Same thing with a 3D TV, its going to wear off at some point because its just a TV. With the economy not bouncing back, I don't think a lot of families who have been foreclosed on have the money to buy a 3D TV. I can tell you most middle class people keep there TVs for quite sometime.

Great points, all correct IMO, but:

1) for most people, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I think it took me about a week to "stop noticing" my 1080p display. I think it took a week for me to get tired of my Transformers toys too. But that doesn't mean HD was a fad or a gimmick. It's definitely here to stay. Apparently so are the Transformers. Bumblebee will always be a VW Bug for me.

2) The economy IS bad, and it means that new tech, whether it be 3D or a bigger TV, a new car, camera, phone, etc will all take a hit in some form. 3D might be especially hard hit because it's a NEW tech, and new tech always costs disproportionately more due to low supply. I remember when HD was first out in the 90s. I wasn't about to spend $15,000 on a TV. But the prices came down to a point where I felt it was worth the $$. 3D will be the same way for a lot of people. Not worth it right now.

3) Early adopters of new tech rarely are middle class. By definition they are struggling to make ends meet, so big-ticket luxury items are out. Smartphones are out (phone costs more; plans cost a LOT more), and flip phones are in. I'm generalizing, of course. I know middle class families who do splurge on select items, but for the most part, they aren't the trend setters.

4) The recent explosion of 3D is not driven by manufacturers anymore. It's a reaction to consumer demand (movies, not home theater). Because 3D movies are selling so well, manufacturers are trying to replicate that success in the home theater, and that's where consumer demand has been slow. Wearing glasses in-home is awkward for many. That's why I think glassless 3D technology will be the key to more universal adoption. Penetration may start with phones (just like OLED and other small screens), but eventually it'll hit home theaters. It's just a matter of time. 3D has come and gone quite a bit in the last 60 years, but this time it's here to stay.

Upvote 0
...and since not many people have 3d tvs yet the best part about it is there are no commercials during the game because no companies want to spend money advertising during a game in which not many people have the ability to watch.

This more than anything tells me that 3D content isn't anywhere close to mainstream yet, so why should anyone buy into a 3D device at this time? It also begs the question of why does HTC feel the need to be so cutting edge when clearly 3D content is probably years away from being anything close mainstream, which is well beyond the typical market life of a phone?

At this stage, there's actually a very good chance that 3D could simply fizzle. Or more likely, it could go the way of HD-DVD -- a different standard could overwhelm/take over the market (ie, BluRay). Personally, I wouldn't buy anything 3D at this point -- but especially not a phone.

For your sake and the sake of other early adopters, I hope none of this happens, but the reality of it (and precedence) is that it very easily could.

You know something is not mainstream when network TV hasn't already started slamming advertising/commercials down your throat. ;)

Upvote 0
Was on the east coast for the past 4 days for my cousin's wedding. I might be upgrading to the EVO 3D when it's released. I got another "out of memory" message and had to uninstall more apps (even though I didn't download any new ones). I may just root sooner than I thought. All the bloatware that I don't use is taking up majority of the memory.

Upvote 0
I think the Evo 3D is a worthy successor to the Evo 4G, specwise... its truly a beast. I mean the 3D part of this Evo is just an extra. I definitely welcome it but people are so focused on this item being a gimmick when the specs of of the E3D truly emphasize what an "upgrade" should be.

I agree, the E3D's specs (almost) completely outclasses the Evo's specs. It isn't even close. But we can't use the E3D yet. Basically, the only hard evidence we have of the E3D are pictures and hands-on video demonstrations, neither of which accurately depict the quality/performance of the new qHD screen, the functionality of the software, the quality of the camera, and the integration of the OS (Gingerbread) with the E3D's dual cores. So, we predictably judge the E3D by its looks, instead of its performance.

When it all comes out in the wash, the E3D should prove to be a worry successor to the Evo That said, I don't like the looks of the E3D. I'm not as infatuated with it as was when I saw the first pics of the Evo. That camera on the back will be a problem for people who don't like to baby their phones; too much exposed glass. The lack of a hardware kickstand just annoys me. And the placement of the charging port is questionable. I just like the form factor of the Evo more than the E3D. After some reflection, I've discovered that my persisting ambivalence toward the E3D is based entirely upon the device's aesthetics (or design).

I think I'm gonna wait for the first Nexus with Ice Cream, then choose my next phone when my contract ends in November. Now that Sprint is offering the Nexus S, I'm hoping Sprint will carry the Nexus line from here on out. My next phone could be the E3D, or it could be the next Sprint Nexus phone:)

Upvote 0
If the middle class doesn't make the economy go round and round then what class of society does? Most people have Sprint because they offer great phone plans on the cheap. People who are not frugal with their money doesn't upgrade their phone every year.

I know 5 people with an HTC EVO. 4 of those 5 people are in the military and they deploy a lot like me because we are all in the same squadron. The EVO came out in June and my squadron deployed for 4 months, which means that's 4 months of not using the EVO and the phone hasn't been out for a year yet. I deployed for 6 months. And the 5th person wanted an EVO after she saw my EVO last August. None of these people keep track of the latest and greatest phones. Not to mention nobody has had the time to enjoy their EVO except for my friend who isn't in the military. There is your middle class folks. I stand by my words, EVO 3D sales will not match the EVO 4G sales.

I think if HTC took some goodies from the thunderbolt like the recessed camera and nice looking kickstand. Then have the same hardware as the 3D, they would have a great phone and launching the phone next year would tempt people to upgrade. Just FYI, I have only seen pics of the Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
So people should get a 3D because they get a bigger battery? Everyone knows if you are using 3G or 4G, you will use more battery power because a lot of apps need access to the internet and I'm sure most people get that data via the CDMA 3G network.

Pardon me taking so long to respond.

I am not sure if you are simply not understanding me, or what exactly is going on. The EVO 3D's hardware should, in theory, perform processor intensive tasks much more efficiently. A great example is if you play games. If you are one of those people you should see less drain per increment of time than with en EVO (even if you give the EVO the 1700mah battery). if the majority of your battery drain occurs from your phone being in standby, this certainly isn;t a worth upgrade (but then why would you want a new phone if your current one is in standby all the time). Having a more efficient processor coupled with a larger battery is a win-win. The larger battery may not be a selling point per se, but it certainly is nice to have it included.

Upvote 0
Pardon me taking so long to respond.

I am not sure if you are simply not understanding me, or what exactly is going on. The EVO 3D's hardware should, in theory, perform processor intensive tasks much more efficiently. A great example is if you play games. If you are one of those people you should see less drain per increment of time than with en EVO (even if you give the EVO the 1700mah battery). if the majority of your battery drain occurs from your phone being in standby, this certainly isn;t a worth upgrade (but then why would you want a new phone if your current one is in standby all the time). Having a more efficient processor coupled with a larger battery is a win-win. The larger battery may not be a selling point per se, but it certainly is nice to have it included.

Doesn't the thunderbolt have a dual processor as well? If so people are still complaining about battery life.

Upvote 0
Admittedly, I am also not sure where the middle class sales of the EVO come into play. My best example is the iPhone. People buying the iPhone are amongst the middle class (not all, but most). It is also hands down the best selling smartphone in America (speaking single model, not OS here becasue we know Android took that title recently) by a large margin. You could very well be right that the 3D won't sell as well as the EVO, but I just don't see your reasoning behind it as making sense.

Upvote 0
I purchased an EVO 4G March 23 (in a hasty fashion, without any research into Sprint's upcoming phones), and I bought it without much question because Sprint's cancellation department has a way of keeping you in their pocket ($150.00 rebate on top of those already in place for the EVo 4G, making the phone $70.00). I used to remember as a kid buying new video game technology as it evolved and having people tell me what not to buy now because of newer technology on the way. The Best Buy rep (who owned an iPhone) who sold me the phone didn't even ask why I was upgrading or if I had even considered holding out for new and better technology. Best Buy has that awesome buy back deal, but I did the math, and if the phone's MSRP is around or more than $700.00, I'd be paying at least $350.00 to upgrade if I kept the contract I signed 10 days ago. So it makes more sense to return my EVO 4G and reactivate an old BB Curve and hold out for the EVO 3D. The 30 day grace period for new contracts and new phones is nice to finally rely on.

As a frugal/borderline cheap bastard, I enjoy splurging in the few ares I get the most enjoyment from (electronics and music), so yes I am one of those guys who, if it is available, must have the best and most up to date gadgets. The EVO 3D has me on board because it has the dual processor, which I can imagine wouldn't even seem phased by a SetCPU under-clocking to extend battery life. The improved design, that finally features non-gloss scratch magnet bezzles (the more shiny black plastic, the more I hate my phone) is very promising and good riddance to that dorky kick stand, this isn't my freaking Schwinn. A physical camera shutter button, as simple as it is, is very appealing too. A better OEM battery has been on my EVO wish list, even though I was getting 37 hours a charge during the 10 days I have owned it.

I think the 3D potential is cool, but if that was the ONLY improvement, I would be keeping the EVO 4G.

I feel bad for those stuck with an EVO for the next 1.6-1.8 months, because you can say it till your blue in the face that you don't want it, but you DO want this phone.

I also don't truly buy into the original launch device stigma, not with HTC. The EVO 3D is a major improvement on the EVO 4G, I don't see it having too many flaws or slow downs in its first year if you ask me. If you run stock (not root) then you wan't EVO 3D to be a smooth masterful sonata of a launch, the sooner they approve of Gingerbread 2.3 the sooner EVO 4G will get it obviously.

Upvote 0
Admittedly, I am also not sure where the middle class sales of the EVO come into play. My best example is the iPhone. People buying the iPhone are amongst the middle class (not all, but most). It is also hands down the best selling smartphone in America (speaking single model, not OS here becasue we know Android took that title recently) by a large margin. You could very well be right that the 3D won't sell as well as the EVO, but I just don't see your reasoning behind it as making sense.

Are you serious? People don't have cell phone plans with Sprint because they like to shell out cash every year for a phone. Sprint customers are not sheep and they don't upgrade their phone every year. Your analogy makes no sense because nobody is even talking about the iphone. What does the iphone have to do with upgrading from the EVO 4G to the EVO 3D?

We were having an A&B discussion about why people with the EVO will not upgrade to the EVO 3D. Okay back to the original discussion.

Upvote 0
Are you serious? People don't have cell phone plans with Sprint because they like to shell out cash every year for a phone. Sprint customers are not sheep and they don't upgrade their phone every year. Your analogy makes no sense because nobody is even talking about the iphone. What does the iphone have to do with upgrading from the EVO 4G to the EVO 3D?

We were having an A&B discussion about why people with the EVO will not upgrade to the EVO 3D. Okay back to the original discussion.

Relax bud. I am simply saying that I don't think it has a whole lot to do with being a middle class citizen. I brought up the iPhone simply because you reference the middle class that doesn't have money to upgrade yearly, yet it is that same middle class upgrading their iPhones yearly. The fact that EVO users won't blindly upgrade is a strong argument I think. I was simply pointing out that I don't see financial class as making a huge difference. A person that can afford $70+ a month in a cell phone bill is probably not so hard up that he couldn't buy a $200 subsidised phone if he actually wanted to.

Also, certainly those that choose Sprint do so because they see it as a better value. I wouldn't necessarily equate that to not being able to afford a new phone which, if I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am), seems to be what you are inferring here.

Upvote 0
I purchased an EVO 4G March 23 (in a hasty fashion, without any research into Sprint's upcoming phones), and I bought it without much question because Sprint's cancellation department has a way of keeping you in their pocket ($150.00 rebate on top of those already in place for the EVo 4G, making the phone $70.00). I used to remember as a kid buying new video game technology as it evolved and having people tell me what not to buy now because of newer technology on the way. The Best Buy rep (who owned an iPhone) who sold me the phone didn't even ask why I was upgrading or if I had even considered holding out for new and better technology. Best Buy has that awesome buy back deal, but I did the math, and if the phone's MSRP is around or more than $700.00, I'd be paying at least $350.00 to upgrade if I kept the contract I signed 10 days ago. So it makes more sense to return my EVO 4G and reactivate an old BB Curve and hold out for the EVO 3D. The 30 day grace period for new contracts and new phones is nice to finally rely on.

As a frugal/borderline cheap bastard, I enjoy splurging in the few ares I get the most enjoyment from (electronics and music), so yes I am one of those guys who, if it is available, must have the best and most up to date gadgets. The EVO 3D has me on board because it has the dual processor, which I can imagine wouldn't even seem phased by a SetCPU under-clocking to extend battery life. The improved design, that finally features non-gloss scratch magnet bezzles (the more shiny black plastic, the more I hate my phone) is very promising and good riddance to that dorky kick stand, this isn't my freaking Schwinn. A physical camera shutter button, as simple as it is, is very appealing too. A better OEM battery has been on my EVO wish list, even though I was getting 37 hours a charge during the 10 days I have owned it.

I think the 3D potential is cool, but if that was the ONLY improvement, I would be keeping the EVO 4G.

I feel bad for those stuck with an EVO for the next 1.6-1.8 months, because you can say it till your blue in the face that you don't want it, but you DO want this phone.

I also don't truly buy into the original launch device stigma, not with HTC. The EVO 3D is a major improvement on the EVO 4G, I don't see it having too many flaws or slow downs in its first year if you ask me. If you run stock (not root) then you wan't EVO 3D to be a smooth masterful sonata of a launch, the sooner they approve of Gingerbread 2.3 the sooner EVO 4G will get it obviously.

How old are you? Your comment about people not wanting the 3D because they have to wait for an upgrade is totally off. People who have stable jobs and make great money don't have to wait for anything. They can go to the Sprint store and add an extra line with the 3D if they wanted. Or just toss the 4G and buy the 3D. They don't play musical cell phone like you did by taking the EVO back. Then using your BB curve until the 3D comes out. I don't put that much time into a freaking cell phone or talking about a rebate because I can afford to have two cell phone lines or upgrade every year. I am a premium customer because I have had Sprint for 9 years.

Upvote 0
Relax bud. I am simply saying that I don't think it has a whole lot to do with being a middle class citizen. I brought up the iPhone simply because you reference the middle class that doesn't have money to upgrade yearly, yet it is that same middle class upgrading their iPhones yearly. The fact that EVO users won't blindly upgrade is a strong argument I think. I was simply pointing out that I don't see financial class as making a huge difference. A person that can afford $70+ a month in a cell phone bill is probably not so hard up that he couldn't buy a $200 subsidised phone if he actually wanted to.

Also, certainly those that choose Sprint do so because they see it as a better value. I wouldn't necessarily equate that to not being able to afford a new phone which, if I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am), seems to be what you are inferring here.

Look at Sprint's customer base right now. I can't remember the yearly profits for Sprint but they have been doing really bad over the past 4-5 years. I'm surprised they are still in business. Sprint is getting better phones, however they still have their customer base that's cheap.

Honestly, I don't know who has time to step foot in an actual Sprint Store anymore. I pay my bill online and go about my business. I look at my phone like my car and truck. I take care of my vehicles like I do my cell phones. I had my Sprint Touch since November 2007 before upgrading to the EVO 4G in June 2010.

In my opinion people in the US have become too focused on the "best things." Hence this whole economic ordeal for the US and why most people won't ever own a home now. The I got to have a new phone every year makes no sense. I'd rather put that money toward my first home of which a down payment will cost $30,000. Off the soapbox now...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones