• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Will Zagg's InvisibleSHIELD make using the touch screen more difficult?

I had an InvisibleSHIELD for my old Blackberry and I loved it for its durability. I was thinking about putting one on my new Sprint HTC Hero, but I remember it having kind of a tacky, gummy, sticky feel to it...kind of resistant to sliding your finger over it smoothly. That doesn't matter to me whatsoever when I'm not using a touch screen, but has anyone used one on a Hero? I don't want to buy one and find out it makes my phone harder to use.

Specifically, I've just gotten pretty good at using SlideIT (wish I could try Swype), and I have a feeling that with an InvisibleSHIELD it will be much harder to accurately move my finger to the right spots on the screen at the right times. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Well. I'm not expert on screen protectors, but using my knowledge as an engineer and from seeing what the invisibleSHIELD can take, i'd imagine the I.S has a resin coating on top of the polymer underneath to give it the extra protection. This is probably what gives it a 'sticky' feel. Having said that, from reviews i've read nobody has complained of reduced responsiveness.
Anything you put on the screen will add to friction (unless it's made of the same material the original screen is). And any additional screen protector will require you to apply more pressure for it to register on the touch-screen but that additional pressure, i'd imagine, is negligable.

Upvote 0
I had an InvisibleSHIELD for my old Blackberry and I loved it for its durability. I was thinking about putting one on my new Sprint HTC Hero, but I remember it having kind of a tacky, gummy, sticky feel to it...kind of resistant to sliding your finger over it smoothly. That doesn't matter to me whatsoever when I'm not using a touch screen, but has anyone used one on a Hero? I don't want to buy one and find out it makes my phone harder to use.

Specifically, I've just gotten pretty good at using SlideIT (wish I could try Swype), and I have a feeling that with an InvisibleSHIELD it will be much harder to accurately move my finger to the right spots on the screen at the right times. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Sorry, can't post it anymore.....

Reactions: domochomo
Upvote 0
I started with the Zagg and removed it with great prejudice after a couple of days. I simply hated how my fingers slid around on it and it had a bumpy glare. I switched to a Boxwave Anti-Glare and it's been on my screen since last November. My fingers slide around on it effortlessly, it doesn't show fingerprints very bad, and the anti-glare characteristics are second to none.

I also tried a Seidio Ultimate Screen Guard which I got for free when I ordered my Innocase and clip holster and I liked it quite a bit, but it had glare issues and showed fingerprints a lot worse than the Boxwave so I put the Boxwave back on.

Pete

Reactions: domochomo
Upvote 0

Awesome! I read there wasn't a working version for the Hero screen resolution. Obviously not so, works great in portrait and landscape and is works a lot better than SlideIT in my opinion. I don't understand how anyone can use ShapeWriter, it never guesses the word I'm trying to use. Thanks!

I started with the Zagg and removed it with great prejudice after a couple of days. I simply hated how my fingers slid around on it and it had a bumpy glare. I switched to a Boxwave Anti-Glare and it's been on my screen since last November. My fingers slide around on it effortlessly, it doesn't show fingerprints very bad, and the anti-glare characteristics are second to none.

I also tried a Seidio Ultimate Screen Guard which I got for free when I ordered my Innocase and clip holster and I liked it quite a bit, but it had glare issues and showed fingerprints a lot worse than the Boxwave so I put the Boxwave back on.

Pete
I figured my fingers wouldn't like that screen, the way it felt on my Blackberry was not very touch friendly. I will check out the Anti-Glare for sure.

Upvote 0
Zagg's Invisible shield is good since it protects the phone. Specially if you buy the full kit. But it is sticky... The screen does not feel the same. The problem with other screen protectors is that the colors are opaqued. Anyway this screen is super tough. You don't really need a screen protector. I put it in my pocket (sometimes with my keys) and it does have some really little scratches (barely visible) on the button plate but thats it... And for the phone's body, I have a rubber case (the one that sprint sells) that covers everything but the front... that's enough for me...

Upvote 0
Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

The otter box is awesome. You have to pry it apart to get it open. Screen protectors are way over rated. The screen is super tough, and doesn't need one, and they make it hard to swype and clean. I took mine off after a week and haven't looked back. I work in construction, and usually scratch my phones about an hour after I get them, but im going on 4 months with this one and not a scratch yet.

Upvote 0
Had one on my Instinct and hated it. Me and my wife had one on our Hero's and hated it. I took mine off and tried others and didn't like them. She dropped hers in the car and something penetrated the Zagg and chipped the screen. We replaced her phone, big chip. Neither one of us use any kind of screen protection now. The Zagg always felt thick and rubbery. Your finger would kind of stick on it. Don't waist your money. TC

Upvote 0
Do you have one of those? Does it open when you drop it?

It does not open up when you drop it and i have dropped it a couple times. the design makes it near impossible for it to split apart. And on the plus side of the wonderful otterbox, it covers the side trim and volume buttons as well as the headphone jack and usb port with cool rubber sleeve/plugs. I just cant say enough about the otterbox commuter. and i have tried many many cases. it':Ds superb.

edit-i took off the screen protector that comes with it and forgot how silky smooth the glass plate on the hero is. i will keep the screen naked for a while. X)

Upvote 0
I have the full body Zagg protector and it definitely changes the feel of the screen. Your fingers can still do the things needed, but its a bit grabby and they don't slide so smoothly. It will protect the screen though--so there is the trade off.

I chose the protection over the feel. I debate it every day--but the day I take the darn thing off I know I'll get a big ole scratch.

Upvote 0
So these screens are really that resistant to scratches on their own? I don't want my phone getting damaged, but I'm pretty careful with it (it's either in my pocket by itself or in my hand most of the time). From what you guys are telling me, screen protectors aren't really necessary...
Yep! There's also a video somewhere on this forum showing it trying to be scratched. It may be a you tube link. TC

Upvote 0
If I had to take a stab at an answer, though, I think the former product is used to cover the entire handset in thin, but protective, layer of plastic. The screen protector is obviously just for the screen. ;)

This is correct. It comes with about 7 or 8 pieces that you have to stick to the phone using the enclosed solution. Some of the pieces work better than others. On mine, the sides started peeling at the corners fairly quickly, but the rest of it stayed on for about a year. At this point only the back is still intact. However, I carry my phone in my pocket, so the constant taking it out and putting it back in probably caused some the peeling. Obviously, YMMV. :)

Upvote 0
I have read a number of Zagg InvisibleShield reviews and none of them complained about a lack of sensitivity.

However, if you're in the market for a replacement screen protector, I wouldn't buy one of these. They cost $15, which is absurdly expensive for what you get. TIP: Go visit Amazon and pick up an Otterbox case. They come with a screen protector that is just as good as Zagg, but with one distinct advantage--price. Not only do you get the protector, but also a high quality Otterbox case, all for just $3.99 (Commuter) or $4.99 (Impact). You can't go wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones