• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wimax Comments and Concerns?

D

Deleted User

So I have Clear wimax at home and with a dongle. I believe that the phone is not getting the same 4G reception however I may just have it in different locations at the office. Any feedback on how well the 4G works for you?

I get 3.5 dwn and 1 up with my Wimax laptop Dongle. I get 1.6 dwn and 40kbps up in the same spot on the phone in my office. If it even connects.

I know a lot of folks may not have clear for thier laptop to make a comparision. Perhaps the antena is lower power or Sprint is still working out kinks. or maybe as the device is smaller I move it around more so it does not lock a good signal. At least I am in a clear market. Wimax is way faster than 3G when it works.

Upvote 0
I have a home Wimax modem and it gets better reception. You figure the dongle or the home modem get more power and have larger antennas. The phone has to balance power consumption with performance and also has a tiny antenna.

I typically use Wimax only when I am outside anyway. In my house or at work I would just turn on Wifi to download a large file. With Wimax, you can basically get that kind of performance when you are out and about if your city has a wimax network.

Upvote 0
Clear wire device do not have speed caps..

Clear wires sub modems have a speed cap of 6 down 1 up.

Clear wire sub mobile devices have a cap of 4 down 1 up.

When your phone acts as a modem speeds up to 6 down and 1 up

As the build out progresses signal will become more widely available. They are doing equipment and eventually early next year software up grades.

It will be 6 more months before you see decent coverage, next summer before its work talking about

The new markets have it the best, NY, LA, FL, Tenn etc. They have newer equipment and some minor tweaks, additional microwave for back haul, Better fiber etc

Older markets will have to be gradually upgraded..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones