• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Win 7 Mobile

momoceio

Android Expert
Dec 14, 2009
St. Louis
virtualgeni.us
Anyone see this at MWC? Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised. It looks nice and is supposedly running very smoothly. I'm not sure what hardware that phone is running though.

Live from Microsoft's Windows Phone press event at MWC 2010 -- Engadget

They've taken a page from Apple...every Win 7 phone will also be a Zune. Suh-weet! The office integration looks very nice also...man they've really stepped it up. I love competition.

obv havent seen coverage.

um im not too sure i will. The UI is great, but a little plain for me.

if they can make a jump like that i see no reason not to support them....
it looks like that because its not open source whihc is what your used to...... but seriously... winmo 7 iphone or android...... how can you not love and hd2 with this kind of os lol.

Upvote 0
I have, and it doesn't look that great to me. Oversimplified in some places, and far to confusing in others. Also, it will have the same problem as Sony's "Rachael UXE" in that it only looks good cause they have loads of good looking hi-res photos for all their contacts and in their feeds. You stick the normal phone camera shots people actually use in those scenarios and it won't look so pretty

Upvote 0
if they can make a jump like that i see no reason not to support them....
it looks like that because its not open source whihc is what your used to...... but seriously... winmo 7 iphone or android...... how can you not love and hd2 with this kind of os lol.

yeah it would be an awesome device, but i doubt current win mobile apps will work on it, so in effect the OS is starting from scratch with no apps at all. Being an early adopter might be tougher than u think. I'll give the OS time to grow before considering it.

Upvote 0
I have, and it doesn't look that great to me. Oversimplified in some places, and far to confusing in others. Also, it will have the same problem as Sony's "Rachael UXE" in that it only looks good cause they have loads of good looking hi-res photos for all their contacts and in their feeds. You stick the normal phone camera shots people actually use in those scenarios and it won't look so pretty

but its not as rough and as hard to use as android. which is..... it will grow and with a starting point like this i see lots of sales..... and with sales comes fast growth..... if they introduce the 1.2 ghz processor and put it in one of these devices... i dont see why it wont appeal to most.... they basically tried to turn a phone into a phone lol... not a computer which was emphasized alot....

Upvote 0
yeah it would be an awesome device, but i doubt current win mobile apps will work on it, so in effect the OS is starting from scratch with no apps at all. Being an early adopter might be tougher than u think. I'll give the OS time to grow before considering it.

i believe it runs apps off of the zune market......... dont quote me on that.... it just seems like it would be a good idea considering how the zune market will grow in time for launch.....

and i also see full xbox synching.... you can even play marketplace games on the device itself and amp gamerscore lol.... look at 6.5 now and not vomit.

No multitasking... :(

i saw the live coverage on the site live video stream and at the end they showed a video of multitasking... so both of the rumors of no multi touch and no multitasking were false...

Upvote 0
I think it looks great, but I would really like an opensource OS on my phone. That is not for everyone, but maybe it will be more attractive once they announce how the XNA program that Microsoft has going right now will fit in with it.

It also depends on how much VZW buys into it. At that point since they are talking about December, it had better work with the LTE network or I'll be staying with android and thinking about WinMo 8 or 9.

Upvote 0
Sounds like any multitasking is going to be crippled at best ... maybe letting you keep listening to music while you do something else, but that's it. And M$ is completely locking down the UI. Basically, they're creating a Microsoft version of the iPhone.

No thanks.

On the other hand, anything that gives Apple more competition and has the potential to make the iPhone fanboys turn green with envy sounds good to me.

Upvote 0
On the other hand, anything that gives Apple more competition and has the potential to make the iPhone fanboys turn green with envy sounds good to me.

Heh ... Apple's competition is going to come from Android, not M$. Regardless of whether one is a Mac fan or not, the Zune and its UI are so far off the radar for most people, that Microsoft isn't even seen as a factor in the personal device arena. Maybe M$ can get that to change, but they haven't had too much marketshare luck so far -- and meanwhile, Android is hot.

I actually see this as an admission by Microsoft that their mobile strategy was failing ... otherwise, they wouldn't have dumped everything and started over, and they wouldn't have made the announcement the better part of a year in advance. They decided they had to do something major to stop the freefall. It'll be interesting to see whether it works.

But in the short term, it means that no one with any sense at all will buy a WinMobile phone for the next few months. Why buy into a dead platform?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones