• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Win 8 won't detect (data) Nexus 5

gauravs79

Lurker
Dec 5, 2011
Hi

I am facing a strange problem for the past month or so. All of a sudden my Win 8 laptop (HP ProBook 4430s) won't detect the nexus 5 mobile.

Strangely all other devices (non nexus mobile) on this laptop works well. Also my mobile worked fine on another laptop - Sony (Win 8 64 bit)

Nexus 5 - ver 4.4.4 (latest)

I have tried the following but in vain:
1. Rebooted laptop as well as mobile.
2. Tried all the 4 USB ports
3. Refreshed/scan for hardware changes the Device Manager
4. Changed the USB cable twice
5. Scanned with 'latest USB driver windows' for android
6. On the mobile swappd the options between MTP and PTP

I can see the mobile getting charged but can't access its storage :(

Kindly suggest a workaround.

Regards, GS

Hi

I am facing a strange problem for the past month or so. All of a sudden my Win 8 laptop (HP ProBook 4430s) won't detect the nexus 5 mobile.

Strangely all other devices (non nexus mobile) on this laptop works well. Also my mobile worked fine on another laptop - Sony (Win 8 64 bit)

Nexus 5 - ver 4.4.4 (latest)

I have tried the following but in vain:
1. Rebooted laptop as well as mobile.
2. Tried all the 4 USB ports
3. Refreshed/scan for hardware changes the Device Manager
4. Changed the USB cable twice
5. Scanned with 'latest USB driver windows' for android
6. On the mobile swappd the options between MTP and PTP

I can see the mobile getting charged but can't access its storage :(

Kindly suggest a workaround.

Regards, GS
Turn developer mode on and flick USB debugging on. If no notification pops up still, try and reinstall the Google USB driver. You may need to disable the driver signature enforcement...maybe that's on win 8.1..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones