1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Windows 10, Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Guggy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Father Guido

Father Guido Android Enthusiast

Grab a copy of Rescatux, boot it up, and blank the password. Unless you are locked out of the bios, it should be fairly easy. I have a copy on all of my multi boot flash drive tools. Hasn't failed me yet ;)

Advertisement

#1351 Father Guido, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    bcrichster and Dngrsone like this.
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Microsoft has decent password recovery options, there has to be a way to use forgot password to fix :)
    You think that would work on Win10? I never used that specific one, but the ones I used stopped working on Win 8

Dngrsone likes this.
  3. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

Okay okay okay. I've been scairt by all the Windows 7 will die stories, so I'm really to trying succumb to Windows 10. Prepare yourselves for a new barrage of stupid questions...

First question. I simply downloaded the ISO from MS and used the DVD to 'upgrade' W7 Home Premium. But now it says I have Win10 Pro, already activated. I guess that's okay?

#1353 jefboyardee, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. rootabaga

rootabaga Extreme Android User

Not sure why you're scairt, Win7 has support for three more years... No reason to upgrade absent a specific reason.

5. Nicholas rota

Nicholas rota Member

ok so i have been hearing everyone so scared about windows 10 or anything but let me tell you about my windows 10 experiences:
    Windows 7- love it, the best, unbeatable. I loved the simplicity and the design
    Windows 8-TF IS THIS
    Windows 9/10- thank you oh lord BILL for adding the home button.
    Windows 10 is a operating system that brings many new features to you. The only one ive noticed is it feels newer and Cortana. 1 thing you should note, the new home thing is so wierd. Does not look like windows 7 at all, its ok though.
    I personally am annoyed with windows 10 sometimes. When i updated it my sound card/driver sound got all screechy+distorted (took me a day to figure it out) and my wifi card DISSAPEARED multiple times (be reminded this is a $2000 MSI laptop with I7-32 gig ram, GTX 1060-6 gig vram, 512 gig ssd+2 tb hardrive,17.3", blah blah blah), and this was so annoying i didnt fix it it just came back. I bought a Rosewill wifi driver because the first time was with install and again after a windows update. Not after every one though, bugged me.
    IF YOU ARE UGPRADING. BE PREPARED WITH PROBLEMS AFTER UPGRADING. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE TIME TO SPARE TOO FIX OUT KINKS BUT FROM THAT POINT ON YOU WILL TRULY ENJOY THE WINDOWS EXPERIENCE.

6. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

My problem with Win 10 right now is that it is slooooow.

bcrichster likes this.
  7. jefboyardee

Thanks all. Besides having to surrender TClockEX, one thing that irks me is the color of the generic clock...

upload_2017-1-26_7-19-41.png

8. jefboyardee

Anyway, I'm getting very close to reloading my W7 backup again. W10 works okay but keeps reminding me that 7 is better.

bcrichster likes this.
  9. Nicholas rota

Nicholas rota Member

computer specs?

Dngrsone likes this.
  10. jefboyardee

Never mind, at least got Themes to change the clock to white.

11. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Toshiba Satellite P55t-B5154.

12GB RAM I7 processor... not what you'd call a slouch.

It runs KDE with nary a hiccup.

bcrichster likes this.
  12. Nicholas rota

Nicholas rota Member

graphics card?

13. Nicholas rota

Nicholas rota Member

storage?

14. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

AMD Radeon R9 M265X Graphics and 2TB

15. rootabaga

Have you gone through device manager and made sure that all of your devices have drivers and those drivers are current? Sometimes Windows installs it's own drivers and you will see performance/feature increases if you instead use a manufacturer/device-specific driver.
    Just a thought. Oh, and this behavior is not specific to Win10, that's been an issue forever. ;)

Dngrsone and psionandy like this.
  16. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

That is true. Frankly I try not to use Win more than once every other week anyway, so I wonder if it's worth my while to try to fix drivers when Win will reverse it with its forced "updates" on the next boot.

17. jefboyardee

I tried. I really really tried. Win7 is just better.

18. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

We know.. You've tried. [emoji23] Many more times than all of us. Gotta give credit tho, I couldn't stand reinstalling Windows so many times. I hate it that much now..

jefboyardee and Dngrsone like this.
  19. jefboyardee

I still have a hard time believing that they went through all that trouble just to make a system that's almost as good as their eight year old champion. Thanks again for coddling me...

bcrichster likes this.
  20. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome

I'm pretty much stuck on 10. It's not an improvement over 7. It's not that bad but it's certainly got those moments when you want to chunk your machine outside!

bcrichster likes this.
  21. rootabaga

Every other week? How long do you have it on?

If you're firing it up that rarely, I imagine it's spending a good deal of time (and resources!) searching for and downloading updates. That could also explain some of the slooooowness. ;)

BTW, regular windows updates won't overwrite manufacturer-specific drivers... So I'd certainly take the time to confirm the driver issue.

Dngrsone likes this.
  22. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

I spend as little time in Win add I can... So maybe an hour, hour and a half at most: I need to be in Win to download music I've bought on Amazon and ebooks from same.

Then I import it all into Linux for use.

bcrichster likes this.
  23. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

[emoji90] I solved that issue by going into settings/F-U Wynn doze/WiFi BS and putting all access points to "metered data" so it thinks you're on a hotspot and won't spend all the time & resources looking for crap you don't want. Really ridiculous & unnecessary. [emoji49]
    Every update that the WTF OS released has actually been more security locks and making usage less optimized for personal choice. Win10 is gonna be viewed as a big failure by almost everyone except MS. [emoji41] Did'ja know ya gotta go into near hidden settings to install non MS drivers?! Far overreaching the needs of MS to run anything

Dngrsone likes this.
  24. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

psionandy likes this.
  25. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

When they said windows 10 was going to be the last version of windows... I don't think I really understood what they meant... based on the article (thanks for that btw) we're going to get the creators update at the start of the year, and another one at the end.

I like windows 10, but I am having nostalgic feelings for how stable (unchanging) windows 7 and windows xp were......

Dngrsone and bcrichster like this.